Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

amacachi wrote: »

At the end of the day, dentists are out to make a living. I'm lucky enough with my current dentist that he accepts the medical card and my family and I have had nothing but good experiences with him.

I'd hardly begrudge him for that. It is one of the more dangerous jobs around considering the suicide rate and considering the amount you have to work in school and then college to get to the dentist stage they deserve the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'd hardly begrudge him for that. It is one of the more dangerous jobs around considering the suicide rate and considering the amount you have to work in school and then college to get to the dentist stage they deserve the money

I don't begrudge them that, I begrudge people who make a living dishonestly or questionably honestly. Again I'm only going by what I've seen, not tarring them all with the same brush.

Dentistry isn't that hard to get into in college in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well she was told she didn't need them, not that it wasn't covered by the medical card, and her teeth are and were far more crooked than people I've seen getting braces.

The vast majority of people do not need braces per se, in most cases its a cosmetic treatment that is sought by some people whereas others would be happy to accept their teeth the way they are. Regardless, she wasn't entitled to the treatment and if she wants to or wanted to get them done she would have had to pay for them like everyone else. If dentists are such money grabbers like are implying he'd have tried to get her to go for the treatment on a private basis. But he didn't!
    Because it was at the end of 6th class I would've been 13 by the time there was space for an appointment or whatever and I would've had to pay for it. Funny that. And they definitely weren't primary teeth.

You're still entitled to basic treatment until you're 16. Regardless, it would have been a HSE dentist so they wouldn't have been able to accept payment, so you can't accuse them of having a financial motivation, you'd have had to go elsewhere if you wanted to be trreated as a private patient.
    Sorry, do dentists do medical card treatment for free? They don't get any payment through the medical card for it? Is it the same with doctors? If so why don't the government give out more medical cards, it mustn't cost them anything since the dentists and doctors don't get payment for the work.

Of course they don't. Silly question really that has nothing to do with any of the points I've made.
    And where did I make a factually inaccurate claim? I said that I know one person whose dentist ballsed up a filling and cap and he had to get it replaced. And he was stupid enough to pay for it again instead of putting his foot down. Ya can say that it was his fault for not arguing, but it's hardly a sign of integrity that the dentist even tried to charge again is it?
    I've already addressed the innacuracies in your posts.

To be honest he should've asked for the filing to be replaced free of charge if it was the dentist's fault as you say (which neither of us know for a facr, really). If the dentist had refused then he should've gone elsewhere. Why take the chance on the dentist making a hames of it a second time? Now that's stupid IMO!
    At the end of the day, dentists are out to make a living. I'm lucky enough with my current dentist that he accepts the medical card and my family and I have had nothing but good experiences with him.

I'm glad you have, as I've said before Irish dentists are some of the best trained and well regulated in the world and the actions of the handful of inferior ones shouldn't be used as a brush to tar them with.

Dentistry isn't that hard to get into in college in fairness.

Again irrelevant claptrap. Points for Dentistry are and have always been in the mid to high 500 points, so its actually quite difficult to get into. I don't know which is more amusing, the obvious chip on your shoulder or your penchant for inaccurate generalisations!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    How cool would this be, seriously?! :D

sitar%20hero.jpg

Khali says it's great!
    context-sitar-hero.jpg

I think simpsons will have something to say against this!

gh_sitar_hero.jpg

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »

Not to mention the astonishing overheads involved in running a busy practice.

flahavaj wrote: »
    The vast majority of people do not need braces per se, in most cases its a cosmetic treatment that is sought by some people whereas others would be happy to accept their teeth the way they are. Regardless, she wasn't entitled to the treatment and if she wants to or wanted to get them done she would have had to pay for them like everyone else. If dentists are such money grabbers like are implying he'd have tried to get her to go for the treatment on a private basis. But he didn't!
    There was no mention made at the time that it wasn't covered, just that she didn't need them.
    You're still entitled to basic treatment until you're 16. Regardless, it would have been a HSE dentist so they wouldn't have been able to accept payment, so you can't accuse them of having a financial motivation, you'd have had to go elsewhere if you wanted to be trreated as a private patient.
    HSE didn't exist back then. As I said I was told that I would be treated as private as they couldn't carry out the treatment before I was 13 and we had no medical card at the time.
    Of course they don't. Silly question really that has nothing to do with any of the points I've made.
    You said that doing fillings that didn't need doing was just making more work for the dentist and the dentist wouldn't stand to gain anything from it. But they do.
    To be honest he should've asked for the filing to be replaced free of charge if it was the dentist's fault as you say (which neither of us know for a facr, really). If the dentist had refused then he should've gone elsewhere. Why take the chance on the dentist making a hames of it a second time? Now that's stupid IMO!
    Complete stupidity on his part, I already said that. What annoyed me was that dentist even trying to charge again. I'm not an expert but if I got a filling which fell out within a week and a half and I hadn't received a good thump in that week and a half, I'd say the dentist ballsed it up.
    I'm glad you have, as I've said before Irish dentists are some of the best trained and well regulated in the world and the actions of the handful of inferior ones shopuldn't be used as a brish to tar them with.
    I've had better experiences with the refugees who have come in from the north tbh. :P
    Again irrelevant claptrap. Points for Dentistry are and have always been in the mid to high 500 points, so its actually quite difficult to get into. I don't know which is more amusing, the obvious chip on your shoulder or your penchant for inaccurate generalisations!
    Irrelevant how? I was replying to someone who said it requires a lot of work in school and I disagree, I could do it in September/October if I worked any way hard for the next month.
    And which chip on my shoulder? I said that I don't like dentists (or anyone else) who make a living with questionable honesty. Do you disagree with that? I already said I've had nothing but positive experiences with my current dentist, but I don't think he's an amazing person or anything else, he does a reasonably tough job very well.

There was no mention made at the time that it wasn't covered, just that she didn't need them.

HSE didn't exist back then. As I said I was told that I would be treated as private as they couldn't carry out the treatment before I was 13 and we had no medical card at the time.

It was still the same public health system with the same salaried dentists under a different name though. The dentist in no way would have benefitted financially from the fillings if they had been done.
    You said that doing fillings that didn't need doing was just making more work for the dentist and the dentist wouldn't stand to gain anything from it. But they do.

Not in the system that treats schoolchildren. Its a salaried job.
    Complete stupidity on his part, I already said that. What annoyed me was that dentist even trying to charge again. I'm not an expert but if I got a filling which fell out within a week and a half and I hadn't received a good thump in that week and a half, I'd say the dentist ballsed it up.

And as I've said he shouldn't have re-charged him.
    I've had better experiences with the refugees who have come in from the north tbh. :P
    Not touching that one!
    Irrelevant how? I was replying to someone who said it requires a lot of work in school and I disagree, I could do it in September/October if I worked any way hard for the next month.
    Its got one of the highest points requirements of any course. Therefore, relevant to other courses its difficult to get into. By your logic ALL college courses are easy to get into!
    And which chip on my shoulder? I said that I don't like dentists (or anyone else) who make a living with questionable honesty. Do you disagree with that? I already said I've had nothing but positive experiences with my current dentist, but I don't think he's an amazing person or anything else, he does a reasonably tough job very well.

Who could disagree with that. Its just that dentists get unfairly bad press IMO on many occasions by people who don't always know what they're talking about. If you look at my first post on this topic its actually referring to a guy who complained about a bad experience with an extraction and bad mouths the dentist, yet refuses to get fillings done? Wheres the sense in that!? If he doesn't get the fillings done its back to the "f*cker" (his actual words not mine!) again for another extraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I am going to say this once and once only. Keep this clean, civil and free from racial issues. The subject is BANTER, not HEATED DEBATE!

It was still the same public health system with the same salaried dentists under a different name though. The dentist in no way would have benefitted financially from the fillings if they had been done.
    Like I said, he told me I'd have to go privately to him.

Not in the system that treats schoolchildren. Its a salaried job.
    As above. I can only go by my own experiences.
    And as I've said he shouldn't have re-charged him.
    See we can agree! :P
    Not touching that one!
    Only messin about, me da is a "refugee" sure. :P Just meant that the current dentist I'm with is a northerner and the family have had positive experiences with him.
    Its got one of the highest points requirements of any course. Therefore, relevant to other courses its difficult to get into. By your logic ALL college courses are easy to get into!
    Yeah, I can be a bit of an elitist at times. I just wouldn't want someone stupider than me being near me with weapons and drugs. :P
    Who could disagree with that. Its just that dentists get unfairly bad press IMO on many occasions by people who don't always know what they're talking about. If you look at my first post on this topic its actually referring to a guy who complained about a bad experience with an extraction and bad mouths the dentist, yet refuses to get fillings done? Wheres the sense in that!? If he doesn't get the fillings done its back to the "f*cker" (his actual words not mine!) again for another extraction!
    Think he was calling them ****ers as it was at the end of a rant about a pretty bad experience with a dentist who ****ed up.
    IMO basically all professions/trades are probably close enough to each other honesty and quality-wise. I see where you're coming from, my dad used to be a taxi driver and a decent one. Gave a couple a lift home one night for 25 quid when it should've been 40. It was about 4am so there wasn't much work about and the other miserable bastards on the rank wouldn't give them a lift. My da was on his way home and a mate told him the craic so he went up and gave them a lift. He got 25 quid out of it and the couple got home out of the rain. So I hate when people say all taxi drivers are ***** etc because they're not. Plenty are, like I got stuck in town about 18 months ago and it was pissing rain and I had €4.10 in my pocket. It was about 5 in the morning, no-one about except 20 taxis. Tried the last 3 taxis in the rank, told them what I had, knowing it's about 5.50 to my house on the meter, none of them would give me a lift even though they would've gotten right back to the same place in the queue. On the other hand I was late for college one day and hailed a taxi. The driver didn't charge me the €6 or whatever it was because it was pissin rain and the journey was on his way home.
    Jesus that was waffly. :P Hope ya get where I'm coming from anyway in a long-winded way. :P
    I am going to say this once and once only. Keep this clean, civil and free from racial issues. The subject is BANTER, not HEATED DEBATE!
    Fair enough, banter between my dad and I often involves me calling him a refugee. :P Thought it would be OK here.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, banter between my dad and I often involves me calling him a refugee. :P Thought it would be OK here.

Banter between your dad and you isn't posted on an internet forum read by several people across the country from coast to coast.

What is understood need not be discussed. And we will move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

All this talk of dentist reminds me i have to go back to mine for a check-up soon...terrifying :(

Had to get a wisdom tooth out last year, did not want to go but thankfully a friend helped my calm down and it was over with in seconds with no pain :)

Oh and I'm very happy that Cork City won against SPA tonight, celebrations went on til the early hours. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I thought my statement was fairly clear, what don't you understand?

How exactly do Hurling and Football "suck"?

Gerard.C wrote: »

Boring to watch, zero atmosphere, even less to generate interest to anyone who didn't actually grow up with it.

Oh and it's not football, it's GAH, there's a difference. One sport pays their players, the other doesn't, stashes all the money for themselves, for years decided not to let anyone other than GAH to use Croke Park, yet cried for years over lack of funding.

But you don't even wanna get me started on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Boring to watch, zero atmosphere, even less to generate interest to anyone who didn't actually grow up with it.

Oh and it's not football, it's GAH, there's a difference. One sport pays their players, the other doesn't, stashes all the money for themselves, for years decided not to let anyone other than GAH to use Croke Park, yet cried for years over lack of funding.

/grabs popcorn and settles in to watch the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Spoken like a true virgin to sport. Have you ever been to a match Shawn? Have you ever played? Have you ever considered the amount of work these people put into this without any sort of payment except unfair criticism?
    No probably not.

Please respond if I'm wrong

orestes wrote: »
    /grabs popcorn and settles in to watch the show

Don't get too comfortable, as far as i'm concerned, i'm done on that subject.
    Last thing i need is all the culchies trying to justify the awesomeness of "our national sport", crying because someone from "da pale" doesn't like it and how it's an absolute disgrace.

I've had a great weekend, dont plan on letting anything or anyone wreck it. :)

Spoken like a true virgin to sport. Have you ever been to a match Shawn?

Nope, better things to be doing with my time, quite frankly.
    Have you ever played?

Trained with my school as an extra curricular activity. Thought it sucked then, think it sucks now.
    Have you ever considered the amount of work these people put into this without any sort of payment except unfair criticism?
    No probably not.

If you're dumb enough to put a lot of work into something that pays f*ck all, then you're right in line to get laughed at as a result. :)
    Please respond if I'm wrong

Responded, we're done now. :)

OK so you don't get paid by Boards. But I know that you put a lot of effort into being a good mod. You get a lot of criticism and normally unfairly so by users who sometimes go as far as to complain to the helpdesk. They get slaughtered by independent mods who always agree with the mod in question.

Culchie is a **** insult btw and anybody who will use where somebody is from to gain an advantage in an arguement shows lack of ammo with their opinion.

Don't want to ruin your weekend by any means so I won't expect a rebutlle.

Nice weather though. I'm outside in the sun relaxing with the laptop out talking to friends on MSN about their premature ejaculation problems. :)

OK so you don't get paid by Boards. But I know that you put a lot of effort into being a good mod. You get a lot of criticism and normally unfairly so by users who sometimes go as far as to complain to the helpdesk. They get slaughtered by independent mods who always agree with the mod in question.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? It's completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. And just to reiterate a point, making sure a forum runs smoothly and consistantly isn't too much effort for me, as long as people attack the posts and not the posters, we're suckin' diesel as far as I'm concerned. :)
    Culchie is a **** insult btw and anybody who will use where somebody is from to gain an advantage in an arguement shows lack of ammo with their opinion.

Not sh*ttier than being called a Dub as if it's supposed to be a bad thing. And it wasn't intended to be an insult anyway. If i really want to throw insults, i'll come up with something better, however it's kinda against the charter.
    Nice weather though. I'm outside in the sun relaxing with the laptop out talking to friends on MSN about their premature ejaculation problems. :)

I walked for three hours in it earlier to college and back. Was nice for a change. :)

• Advertisement

It was a shocking week weather wise but the weekend was fantastic and I'm learning to surf. Should be a good summer

It was a shocking week weather wise but the weekend was fantastic and I'm learning to surf. Should be a good summer

Surfing is bloody hard! :o

Damn right. Wipeouts are fun though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wouldnt be a fan of GAH, I dont get it either but I wouldnt say theres no atmosphere at the games, I've been in the pub with friends who are into it for finals and whatnot and the atmosphere was huge, and thats from a total stranger to the game's perspective

I do agree with them not allowing Croke park to be used though, such a waste of a huge resource, what is it like the 8th biggest stadium in Europe? and its barely used aside from 1 gig, usually U2 every few years and the odd begrudging rugby game (well the one a few years ago, maybe not so much now)

This whole "foreign games" thing is just nonsense, they need to move past all that stuff, the amount of money that could be generated from putting on more entertainment shows in Croke park would do the economy nothing but good, look at the amount of shows in the O2 that have sold out and there was enough demand to fill it twice over, if there ones thing that never suffers in a recession is people needing to be entertained, Thomond Park in Limerick is putting on 2 massive gigs this summer (well massive if you're a middle aged woman) with Rod Stewart and Elton John and there wasnt a bit of fuss about it it was welcomed with open arms

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I hate the GAA.

No other sporting body in any other country could get away with trying to destroy a club from another sport.

If it was the other way round there'd be uproar and it would be featured in every newspaper and broadcast in the country.

Scum, absolute scum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The GAA provides plenty of entertainment to people across the country on a weekly basis.

I am not a GAA fan myself but i know many people who are.
    I also know many people who volunteer in their local clubs and are some of the best people you will ever meet ( I am sure there are twats in there too).

The GAA is supposed to be about community. The GAA has created many high class stadiums and facilities across the country with the help of the communities. Croke park is in the middle of its own community. My undertanding is the area has to put up with alot during the summer months and this is why the use of croke park is (Appropriately) kept to a minimum the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Boring to watch? Hurling is one of the, if not the, fastest games in the world. A game can change in a second. Like in the league final, Kilkenny scored a goal while the replay was still showing of the Tipp goal that just went in.

Zero athmosphere is just a ridiculous statement. All Ireland final day isnt exactly a snooze fest. Which the tickets are in unbelieveable demand for, so in all seriousness there's a nice bit of interest around it.

Yeah, it's an unprofessional sport. But how many players are still proud enough to represent their local team or their county in it? In my parish players go home during the week from Cork and Dublin just to train. But if they "grew up with it" that doesnt count? To insult the GAA for not paying their players is insulting. Do you think Cristiano Ronaldo would play for Man United for free? Not a chance, cos he doesnt give a **** about the team or the fans. It's driven by money. GAA is driven by some of the most passionate sportsmen in the world. The fans know and respect that.

Was at an amazing hurling match a few years back in croke, must check the ticket to see what match it was.

I was there because my brother in law was playing in the game before the big televised one. Getting into the VIP section on croke is niiiice.

But the atmosphere is something else, there energy from knowing that these guys are doing it for the passion and emotion rather than a lumpy paycheck makes a hell of a difference.

Go and ask a kid what he wants to be when he grows up, if he says "Footballer" ask why.
    The response will more than likely be something along the lines of "Loads of money, cars etc"

I would much rather hear one of them go "I wanna be a hurler/gaelic footballer because i think its fun and i love it."

That is to say that not all young lads think this way but thats the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

krudler wrote: »

This whole "foreign games" thing is just nonsense, they need to move past all that stuff,

They have.

The GAA is the most efficiently run and smartest sporting body in Ireland by a mile.

Even at a general schools level at getting children interested in the game, they are a distance ahead of other sports with the number of programmes they run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

They have.

The GAA is the most efficiently run and smartest sporting body in Ireland by a mile.

Horseracing has got to be a close second followed by general handicapped sports

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement