Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

flahavaj wrote: »
    Enda Kenny is a lovely man. Seriously. I'd be as dubious as the next man about his credibility as a leader for the country, but hes an unbelievably sound fella in person.

Cowen is sound in person.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Cheers C-B-G. I wasn't as confused* as i suggested

*Saying I was confused was a polite way of saying I think the post I was replying to was lacking in correctness!
    C-B-G wrote: »
    *Completely agree. :p

I Just learned how to make the font big and small...only took me several years :D

I've been told im sound in person, dont think that should really be factord into if someone should run the country tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

The man is a f***in gent in all seriousness.

And he got some welcome when he was made gov leader, but the poor guy, he really has been doing his best.

Didnt bertie say he was no.1 when the country was going through the boom times, pretty much saying that he was behind it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He knows his ****. He's a smart man but people pull him in all different directions so a lot of mistakes are made

I Just learned how to make the font big and small...only took me several years :D

I've been told im sound in person, dont think that should really be factord into if someone should run the country tbh.

You are right. Its not important if they are sound or not. But It helps, Bertie got by for years on it and had most people convinced everything was great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Once Cowen got in he should've realised that doing the right thing wouldn't be popular, so he did the right thing in a really half-assed way, that isn't going to work, to try and keep some popularity, which hasn't worked out. He should've used his 3/4 years to actually make a difference.

C-B-G wrote: »
    The man is a f***in gent in all seriousness.

And he got some welcome when he was made gov leader, but the poor guy, he really has been doing his best.

Didnt bertie say he was no.1 when the country was going through the boom times, pretty much saying that he was behind it?

The system here is handicapped. Cowen and Lenihan have no accounting background and are left running the finances of the country. We need a president style election where the elected leader can pick people from outside to help him/her rather than being stuck with the sons, gransons, nieces nepews etc of dead politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You are right. Its not important if they are sound or not. But It helps, Bertie got by for years on it and had most people convinced everything was great.

I did qualify mt statement about Kenny by saying I doubted his ability to lead the country in fairness.:D

amacachi wrote: »
    Once Cowen got in he should've realised that doing the right thing wouldn't be popular, so he did the right thing in a really half-assed way, that isn't going to work, to try and keep some popularity, which hasn't worked out. He should've used his 3/4 years to actually make a difference.

Eh Fianna Fail have been banging on about how they are taking unpopular decsions for months now. They decided to implement a pension levy on public servants. They have reduced or taken away interest relief on mortgages, increased vat, put in an income levy, increased PRSI, They even took away the xmas welfare bonus.

I actually think Fianna Fail have got some good results when the international down turn came in. For example they saved the banks and got europe on their sides about the ecomomic recovery plan. I'm not saying everything they have done was right but they have got some results.

I did qualify mt statement about Kenny by saying I doubted his ability to lead the country in fairness.:D

You certainly did. Sorry if i came across like i didn't read your post properly.:o

Another post mentioned soundness shouldn't be a factor and i just responded by saying that is correct but it can help if a politician comes across as sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Met the man and had a coffee with him, true sh*t.
    He was Foreign Affairs minister at the time, and i was contracting during the EU presidency and i fixed his machine. :D

Nice guy, just not the guy to be running the country, that's all!

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Met the man and had a coffee with him, true sh*t.
    He was Foreign Affairs minister at the time, and i was contracting during the EU presidency and i fixed his machine. :D

Nice guy, just not the guy to be running the country, that's all!

Cool you fixed his coffee machine........

Eh Fianna Fail have been banging on about how they are taking unpopular decsions for months now. They decided to implement a pension levy on public servants. They have reduced or taken away interest relief on mortgages, increased vat, put in an income levy, increased PRSI, They even took away the xmas welfare bonus.

I actually think Fianna Fail have got some good results when the international down turn came in. For example they saved the banks and got europe on their sides about the ecomomic recovery plan. I'm not saying everything they have done was right but they have got some results.

Yes they're taking unpopular decisions, but not unpopular enough. We're still in a massive deficit which is only getting bigger. Still no downsizing of the civil service or that bloody HSE.

They got Europe onside by cutting the rate of growth of the deficit but not much more than that. They also seem to be going the opposite way compared to other countries by not increasing spending. Whilst I don't think that throwing money at the problem is the way to fix things, it will more than likely work if everyone does it, and of course we're the ones not doing it.
    Also, good results? The speed of economic decay we're experiencing is unbelieveable at the moment.

Cool you fixed his coffee machine........

Yeah, i fixed his coffee machine.....
    I'm starting to rethink that the DM in your name stands for, and you don't wanna know the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

They also seem to be going the opposite way compared to other countries by not increasing spending.
    Ireland is a small open economy. Any fiscal stimulus introduced here would be sucked right out of the country. Besides, we'd have to borrow even more to fund such a stimulus, which would lower our credit rating and make borrowing more expensive.

Yes they're taking unpopular decisions, but not unpopular enough. We're still in a massive deficit which is only getting bigger. Still no downsizing of the civil service or that bloody HSE.

They got Europe onside by cutting the rate of growth of the deficit but not much more than that. They also seem to be going the opposite way compared to other countries by not increasing spending. Whilst I don't think that throwing money at the problem is the way to fix things, it will more than likely work if everyone does it, and of course we're the ones not doing it.
    Also, good results? The speed of economic decay we're experiencing is unbelieveable at the moment.

Downsizing the civil service is in operation. There is a staff embargo in government departments. They have offered incentives for people to go on 3 year carreer breaks and early retirement. They are in the process of trying to allow staff moves withing the civil sevice (Government departments) and other public service areas such as local authorites to help reduce the need to take in staff from oustside. The public service numbers isn't an issue, after all the money they earn end up back in govenment coffers through spending anyway. The money earned is either spent in shops or saved in our struggling banks.

Reducing numbers will only increase the number of people on the dole and reduce efficiancy. They need to reform the system to offer new services and increase efficiencies rather than reduce numbers. New services that support private sector jobs like proper training to the unemployed.

It is very hard to increase spending when the cost of borrowing money is prohibitive for ireland. We have no money, for example the social insurance fund is evaporating.

Ireland is a young country that has never had money to spend before. We experienced a boom where we couldn't built everything fast enough before the cash dried up. A few years back the govermnet tried to slow down development to slow down growth and get more time out of the boom.

They were forced to back down due to pressure from the media, banks and developers. Most importantly by the shortsighted public that wanted money to waste on overinflated homes, cars etc. The whole country got greedy, they didn't know what to spend on sensibly. The government didn't spend sensibly either but the public were every bit as bad but refuse to take any responsibility.

Rant over, i may be talking out of my hole but i'm convinced i'm right.....

Yeah, i fixed his coffee machine.....
    I'm starting to rethink that the DM in your name stands for, and you don't wanna know the results.

Well when your finished rethinking you can let me know.

Did you get loads of free EU presidency gear, Pens, Notepads, Laptop bags etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Munster Senior Hurling Championship. Cannot f*cking wait.

cidona.jpg

Back on the shelf.

What match ya heading to?

Gerard.C wrote: »
    What match ya heading to?

Cork/Tipp of course!

Cork/Tipp of course!

Good man!! Wait till ya see the beating we give them, it might be the 08 panel but they're not playing like them so far. We bet them by 10 or 20 points in the league shur. Prediction? I say Tipp by 10 points

• Advertisement

Downsizing the civil service is in operation. There is a staff embargo in government departments. They have offered incentives for people to go on 3 year carreer breaks and early retirement. They are in the process of trying to allow staff moves withing the civil sevice (Government departments) and other public service areas such as local authorites to help reduce the need to take in staff from oustside. The public service numbers isn't an issue, after all the money they earn end up back in govenment coffers through spending anyway. The money earned is either spent in shops or saved in our struggling banks.

Reducing numbers will only increase the number of people on the dole and reduce efficiancy. They need to reform the system to offer new services and increase efficiencies rather than reduce numbers. New services that support private sector jobs like proper training to the unemployed.

It is very hard to increase spending when the cost of borrowing money is prohibitive for ireland. We have no money, for example the social insurance fund is evaporating.

Ireland is a young country that has never had money to spend before. We experienced a boom where we couldn't built everything fast enough before the cash dried up. A few years back the govermnet tried to slow down development to slow down growth and get more time out of the boom.

They were forced to back down due to pressure from the media, banks and developers. Most importantly by the shortsighted public that wanted money to waste on overinflated homes, cars etc. The whole country got greedy, they didn't know what to spend on sensibly. The government didn't spend sensibly either but the public were every bit as bad but refuse to take any responsibility.

Rant over, i may be talking out of my hole but i'm convinced i'm right.....

Way too damn slowly IMO. Sure they could try refocussing the workforce towards getting people back in employment, but that's only going to make a difference if they do it like they give a **** rather than just sending out letters about something which has been available for ages and just about anyone interested will have already done something about it or would be soon anyway.

Also, if "all" the money from paying the public service just goes straight back into the government then what's the problem with the dole? Surely people on the dole are making less unnecessary purchases than those working for the government, less holidays, less cars, less money going out of the country, but the same amount on electricity and utilities which stay in the country?

They did a little to slow growth, but almost nothing to slow building. The majority of the country got greedy, yes, but my point was that Cowen knew he wasn't going to be making popular decisions and I wish he had pushed the envelope more than he has. Course being hesitant to make unpopular decisions is the definition of democracy.

Also the public should take responsibility, I believe that, hence why I wouldn't have been too disappointed to see the banks go under, have a proper crash and build the economy back up properly rather than constantly trying to keep the rocky foundations we're spending so much to keep going.

Good man!! Wait till ya see the beating we give them, it might be the 08 panel but they're not playing like them so far. We bet them by 10 or 20 points in the league shur. Prediction? I say Tipp by 10 points

I'd say Tipp by 6. Those Cork lad will always put up a fight, they're serious hurling men no matter what your opinion of them. Are you going down.

On a side note anyone watch Reno 911? Its on e4 at the moment. Fairly funny.

Well when your finished rethinking you can let me know.

I would, but the Admins would probably siteban me for the abuse i'd be hurling out. :)
    Did you get loads of free EU presidency gear, Pens, Notepads, Laptop bags etc?

Got a few nick-nacky things while we were there, also got a nice expensive bottle of red or white wine, depending on what you were able to nab at the end of the contract too, which was nice. :)

I'd say Tipp by 6. Those Cork lad will always put up a fight, they're serious hurling men no matter what your opinion of them. Are you going down.

On a side note anyone watch Reno 911? Its on e4 at the moment. Fairly funny.

Thinking about it, pints are in order if I do decide to go! Probably will head up in fairness. Are ye getting tickets on the day?

Thinking about it, pints are in order if I do decide to go! Probably will head up in fairness. Are ye getting tickets on the day?

I'm not sure. Say it'll be fairly busy what with it being championship and the good feeling in Tipp after the league final. Might look into it tomorrow and see what the craic is.

Might have a few large bockles of Cidona off the shelf alright. No work on the Monday either!

Way too damn slowly IMO. Sure they could try refocussing the workforce towards getting people back in employment, but that's only going to make a difference if they do it like they give a **** rather than just sending out letters about something which has been available for ages and just about anyone interested will have already done something about it or would be soon anyway.

Also, if "all" the money from paying the public service just goes straight back into the government then what's the problem with the dole? Surely people on the dole are making less unnecessary purchases than those working for the government, less holidays, less cars, less money going out of the country, but the same amount on electricity and utilities which stay in the country?

They did a little to slow growth, but almost nothing to slow building. The majority of the country got greedy, yes, but my point was that Cowen knew he wasn't going to be making popular decisions and I wish he had pushed the envelope more than he has. Course being hesitant to make unpopular decisions is the definition of democracy.

Also the public should take responsibility, I believe that, hence why I wouldn't have been too disappointed to see the banks go under, have a proper crash and build the economy back up properly rather than constantly trying to keep the rocky foundations we're spending so much to keep going.

Okay all money was the wrong term to use. What i meant was, civil service wrokers are required to work in government departments. Lets say a worker is earning 500 quid after tax while someone on job seekers is getting in the region of 200. Theerfore its really only costing 300 to employ the person in a job. They have an extra 300 quid to spend that actually supports the local economy they work in as they will be spending most of money in business that would close without someone spending the money. These people are spending money on things that someone at home all day doesn't have to, operating a car, child care etc maintaining jobs. The money they spend on services nad products comes back yo the government in income tax, vat etc. So in the end the real cost of employing a public service is the money that ends up in the bank which needs the money to survive.

The more people on the dole the more businesses will close as there is less money in the economy to spend. My point was meant to be a well staffed public service isn't actually that expensive when balanced against the number of jobs in the private sector it helps maintain. We need to ease the debt within the banks not let them collapse.

Re letting the banks crash: This was never an option, it would have wiped out any chance of investment in our economy in the future.

I would, but the Admins would probably siteban me for the abuse i'd be hurling out. :)

Telling me when you have finished rethinking wouldn't get you banned. Telling the results might but I never said I wanted the results. :p

Got a few nick-nacky things while we were there, also got a nice expensive bottle of red or white wine, depending on what you were able to nab at the end of the contract too, which was nice. :)

Did you have to/ get to travel around the country to conferences and such?

The more people on the dole the more businesses will close as there is less money in the economy to spend. My point was meant to be a well staffed public service isn't actually that expensive when balanced against the number of jobs in the private sector it helps maintain. We need to ease the debt within the banks not let them collapse.

Re letting the banks crash: This was never an option, it would have wiped out any chance of investment in our economy in the future.

The cost of having a large public sector like we have is the money they spend on imports (cars, holidays, expensive food, petrol) which as a percentage is higher than those on the dole. The other cost is the jobs not being created or worked in in the private sector. I can't be arsed getting into an argument on how inefficient the public sector is because if someone disagrees they'll never change their mind.

Did you have to/ get to travel around the country to conferences and such?

Armagh to help set up the cisco switch for a few extra bodies who were joining.
    Hated the place (Armagh town) so much, never saw a place so quiet at 5pm when we were leaving. Couldn't wait to get the home. :)

• Advertisement

The cost of having a large public sector like we have is the money they spend on imports (cars, holidays, expensive food, petrol) which as a percentage is higher than those on the dole. The other cost is the jobs not being created or worked in in the private sector. I can't be arsed getting into an argument on how inefficient the public sector is because if someone disagrees they'll never change their mind.

I never said it was efficient,nor did i try and defend its efficiency. I said we should be improving the services offerd and its efficiency.

I also said having a well staffed public sector is not as expensive as it appears.

As far as the "imports" go, if nobody buys petrol all people working in the industry in ireland would have no job, if nobody buys cars where do all the mechanics go, if nobody goes on holiday what happens to people working in travel agents, what happens our people working for airlines, no spending on expensive food (which can be Irish and nothing to do with imports) means nobody stacking shelves meaning more dole money. Funnily enough the more that end up on the dole the more people that will have to work in social welfare offices processing claims and the more pople that will have to be hired to work on projects to decrease the dole claims and increase jobs.

Where will all the Vat and Income tax that results from these purchases end up? Back in the exchequer. Where is the dole funded from? Oh yeah the exchequer.

Your post also indicated all public service workers waste thier money on frivelous purchases which is a opinion i wouldn't share. A small percentage of this work force can actually afford these types of purchases. In fact families relying in the dole in many cases have less real expenses than workers with families in all sectors, no need for a car to travel long distances to work, no need for child care, no need to pay medical expenses etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement