Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

amacachi wrote: »
    Sorry, I reread the first post you made about it, I thought you said that united were exposed as inferior, but you said some players were, and you're right. Why Tevez doesn't start more often is beyond me anyway.

Fletcher was missed massively tonight and crikey what Fergie would have given for footballs answer to Kennedy, Owen hargreaves:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Fletcher was missed massively tonight and crikey what Fergie would have given for footballs answer to Kennedy, Owen hargreaves:eek:

Hargreaves abnd fletcher in place of Giggs and Park would have helped the team massively.

I think overall poor concentration by the defence cost United. Ferdinand and Vidic were carrying knocks and that impacted on their concentration.

Remember 2 years ago against Milan in the 2nd Semi, the last time United lost in Europe? United were Ripped apart without Ferdinand and with a rushed back Vida. SFA really should of learnt his lesson from that not to play injured defenders against top class players like Etoo and Messi (Or kaka as it was then)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was hoping my 10,000th post would be a post congratulating United on retaining the Champions League but alas t'was not to be.

At least I can celebrate it in another way as I just turned 23. Damn I'm getting old. :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Was hoping my 10,000th post would be a post congratulating United on retaining the Champions League but alas t'was not to be.

At least I can celebrate it in another way as I just turned 23. Damn I'm getting old. :eek:

Happy Birthday from a 24 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ever been a mod MNG? Congrats BTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Happy Birthday

Barcelona deserved the win completely outplayed United Fergie got his tactics all wrong :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Happy birthday MNG!

23 is not old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

Anyone get the new UFC game? Going to have a go at it now and see what its like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Anyone get the new UFC game? Going to have a go at it now and see what its like!

It's awesome though I think It will get boring over time

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ever been a mod MNG? Congrats BTW

Nope never been a mod. Can't have a mod who's a nice guy though right? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not looking in anybodies direction or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I probably should know when your birthday is:P. Anyway Happy birthday bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I love the way people think that mods become mods because of their postcount. People become mods one way and one way only, they get asked!. I found this out the hard way years ago, many others have found out since. Go over to the Rock & Metal forum and check out Doctor J's postcount. He's not a mod.

Happy birthday MNG, hope ya had a good one. I can't believe you're only 23! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Anyone watching the Terminator movies on RTE over the weekend? havent seen T2 in ages so watched that last night, why I dont know as they used some fullscreen godawful transfer when I have the bluray sitting on a shelf beside the tv :) still one of the best action movies ever made, hope to god Camerons 12 year break between making movies hasnt made him forget how to craft an action scene

I actually don't bother with buying Blu-Ray movies pre 2006 due to the fact that they're only 720 resolution upscaled to 1080. Therefore a cheap HDMI DVD player will do that with your DVDs anyway.

After all, nobody had capabilities to shoot movies in High Definition in 1984 and 1991 respectively.

I own the three terminator movies on DVD, and watched the first one again a few weeks back. Will probably watch the second one over the weekend, because i have little or no desire to run to the cinema to catch Terminator Salvation. It looks like utter cack. :(

Thats not strictly true as it depends on how the movie was shot, anything show on 65mm and blown to 70mm is way, way beyond what you can get resolution wise on blu-ray, Lawrence of Arabia for example, has a resolution far beyond 1080p, even new movies shown on digital projection cinema screens are at 2k. That is 2048 x 1920 pixels which is higher than any tv at the moment, it has to be to be shown at that size, so older movies can look incredible on BD if remastered and formatted correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Aye, once it was shot on high-quality film and stored properly most films could go to 2160p no problem. The studios were just really, really lazy with their transfers when Blu-Ray came out.

The only older movie i've tried watching on BD, was Speed (and thats cos it came free with the PS3 when i bought it), and while the sound was vastly improved, the picture was no great shakes.

That said, it's all i have to go on.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    The only older movie i've tried watching on BD, was Speed (and thats cos it came free with the PS3 when i bought it), and while the sound was vastly improved, the picture was no great shakes.

That said, it's all i have to go on.

TBH the difference between then and now is vast, I remember reading reviews of both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD releases of films, and there was a lot of grumbling in them, even watching the Blu-Ray a mate got free with his PS3 on a SDTV you could see artifacts that weren't in the DVD release. Compare that to a well-tended transfer like Planet Earth and it's like two different technologies.
    Even a lot new movies out on Blu-Ray at the start were woeful. Lazy, money-grabbing bastards. :P

If you ever want to see what Blu-Ray is capable of,watch Speed Racer on the best tv you can find, its looks absolutely ****ing incredible, the movie is hit and miss but the way its shot is amazing, The Dark Knight is a close second

Speed Racer in 720p:

http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/592_5_large.jpg

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    If you ever want to see what Blu-Ray is capable of,watch Speed Racer on the best tv you can find, its looks absolutely ****ing incredible, the movie is hit and miss but the way its shot is amazing, The Dark Knight is a close second

Speed Racer in 720p:

http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/592_5_large.jpg

That's very pretty. Just shows that 720p is perfectly adequate to do amazing things with, it's quality of transfer rather than number of pixels is the main issue.

Anyway, I nicked this from Cool Vids and Links, has to be the best keyboard cat ever.

Due to having no BD drive in any of my machines at present, i can't do a screen cap of Wrestlemania 24 unfortunately. But that blew me away on BD when i got it last year and watched it. Especially the overhead shot at the beginning of the show.

Due to having no BD drive in any of my machines at present, i can't do a screen cap of Wrestlemania 24 unfortunately. But that blew me away on BD when i got it last year and watched it. Especially the overhead shot at the beginning of the show.

While watching the last two Wrestlemanias I was actually thinking how awesome it would look in HD, while watching an AVI rip on a 24 inch 4:3 television. :P

Video and Sound were unreal. Especially the sound of the helicopters and planes flying over the arena. :D

Video and Sound were unreal. Especially the sound of the helicopters and planes flying over the arena. :D

What display/sound set-up have you?
    I've already started looking out for Blu-Rays I want. I may not have the TV yet for it to make a difference, but when there's some deadly offers on I may as well get the Blu-Ray as the DVD.

What display/sound set-up have you?
    I've already started looking out for Blu-Rays I want. I may not have the TV yet for it to make a difference, but when there's some deadly offers on I may as well get the Blu-Ray as the DVD.

42" Plasma HDTV and 5.1 surround. :)

42" Plasma HDTV and 5.1 surround. :)

Plasma > LCD.

I say that to people and they say "Well why are there more LCDs?", to which I reply "Well look how many people voted for Hitler, doesn't mean they were right." :P

Plasma > LCD.

I say that to people and they say "Well why are there more LCDs?", to which I reply "Well look how many people voted for Hitler, doesn't mean they were right." :P

Plasma's kinda suck for gaming though, that's the only problem, especially Guitar Hero, when you switch off the console and you see the rock meter and the five colour notes burnt into the screen. :(

I ended up moving the consoles to the spare room which has a similar 5.1 setup but a 32" LCD.

But for movies, there's none better. :)

Plasma's kinda suck for gaming though, that's the only problem, especially Guitar Hero, when you switch off the console and you see the rock meter and the five colour notes burnt into the screen. :(

I ended up moving the consoles to the spare room which has a similar 5.1 setup but a 32" LCD.

But for movies, there's none better. :)

How old is the the plasma? Read about the newer ones that the burn-in issue is more or less gone. Burn-in can be a problem with cheap LCDs as well, should've seen the state of a TV I saw in a pub showing the snooker, it actually offended me. :P

• Advertisement

How old is the the plasma? Read about the newer ones that the burn-in issue is more or less gone. Burn-in can be a problem with cheap LCDs as well, should've seen the state of a TV I saw in a pub showing the snooker, it actually offended me. :P

Ah it's nearly 3 years old at this stage. Bought it the day we moved into the (then) new place. The missus was driving a Micra at the time too, the fun we had getting it into the back of the car. We had to ditch the packaging at the shop and barely fit the thing in and got the door closed. :D

Was well worth it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement