Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Did anyone see what happened between Eminem and Bruno at the MTV movie awards haha

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9gcm9_bruno-v-eminem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

EdK wrote: »
    Did anyone see what happened between Eminem and Bruno at the MTV movie awards haha

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9gcm9_bruno-v-eminem

lol, read about it last night, but that's the first time I've seen the vid of it. Is there anything Cohen won't do?!

I wonder if Eminem was in on it, although he looked none too pleased about the, eh, positioning lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd say it was staged. It's a clever way to raise the profile of the Bruno character ahead of the new movie and it's not like Eminem will be unhappy with the publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Considering Eminem hasn't done anything of note in years, he'll take whatever publicity he can get at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I dunno he looked pretty pissed plus the lads he was with were pretty rough with Bruno (maybe he likes it like that though haha) Eminem also has a pretty strong history of homophobia so Brunos bit in his face isnt good for his image haha

9988086501.jpg

288086514-433x600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Considering Eminem hasn't done anything of note in years, he'll take whatever publicity he can get at this stage.
    Really? I don't think he is to desperate for publicity when his new album is selling so well in these harsh times. You can make an argument about his music not been up to much, but he is still one of the biggest draws the music industry has left.

Eminem's new album, 'Relapse', has sold more copies in the US during its first week in stores than any album so far this year.

'Relapse' sold 608,000 copies during the past week, according to Nielsen SoundScan data. This is the rap star's fifth album to debut at the top of the US Billboard chart, and his first release since 2004's 'Encore'.

Eminem's album knocked Green Day's '21st Century Breakdown' to the Number Two position on the chart. The California band's new album sold 166,000 copies in the past week.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Really? I don't think he is to desperate for publicity when his new album is selling so well in these harsh times. You can make an argument about his music not been up to much, but he is still one of the biggest draws the music industry has left.

Harsh times don't exist when it comes to the music industry. Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Whitney Houston, Pink Floyd and Bon Jovi will tell you that as their biggest successes were two decades ago when we had harsh times.

And besides, what's €20 out of some skangers dole money? :P
    My point was, at the end of the day, when it comes to all forms of entertainment, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Harsh times don't exist when it comes to the music industry. Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Whitney Houston, Pink Floyd and Bon Jovi will tell you that as their biggest successes were two decades ago when we had harsh times.

And besides, what's €20 out of some skangers dole money? :P
    My point was, at the end of the day, when it comes to all forms of entertainment, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Well said, no such thing as recession when it comes to entertainment, movies and live gigs all thrive in times like this, people need to be entertained regardless of how crappy things have gone

Just to further my point, if anything, movies and music are two things to do sell more than anything else when the economic crisis take place, because meals out and nights on the lash are no longer feasable when one or both members of a couple are out of work, but at least a CD a month (fiver a week) is doable. Same for two cinema tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Eminem can't really take much out of this reputation-wise. Homo-sexuals will hardly be flocking to get his CD being honest.

**** music is **** music

• Advertisement

Eminem can't really take much out of this reputation-wise. Homo-sexuals will hardly be flocking to get his CD being honest.

No but Borat/Ali G fans will! :P
    **** music is **** music

Matter of opinion there i'm afraid, even if i do agree with you with regard Eminem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Just to further my point, if anything, movies and music are two things to do sell more than anything else when the economic crisis take place, because meals out and nights on the lash are no longer feasable when one or both members of a couple are out of work, but at least a CD a month (fiver a week) is doable. Same for two cinema tickets.

Maybe in the past but it wouldn't surprise me if people used the current economic climate to justify downloading albums and films for free instead.

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Maybe in the past but it wouldn't surprise me if people used the current economic climate to justify downloading albums and films for free instead.

Don't buy that for a second, because people did that anyway.
    And besides, not all of us are total hermits. Some of us like getting out of the house/apartment once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Don't buy that for a second, because people did that anyway.
    And besides, not all of us are total hermits. Some of us like getting out of the house/apartment once in a while.

Not back in the 80's though like you were referring to before, and I myself will still be buying the albums I want and going to gigs. All I mean is I can imagine I. B. Random that withheld from downloading when he had more cash deciding to put the money that in the past was used to buy the latest Big Tom release towards a few extra pints or a few bananas. Something that's much harder to get for free. Then again I could be very wrong assuming that.

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Not back in the 80's though like you were referring to before, and I myself will still be buying the albums I want and going to gigs. All I mean is I can imagine I. B. Random that withheld from downloading when he had more cash deciding to put the money that in the past was used to buy the latest Big Tom release towards a few extra pints or a few bananas. Something that's much harder to get for free. Then again I could be very wrong assuming that.

Don't kid yourself, it happened in the 80s, just not in the same way. Back then, people bought tapes, duped em using twin decks and then took em back the next day claiming unwanted birthday pressies and exchanged the original and therefore getting two for the price of one. Same with videos and pre macrovision protection. In fact video bootlegging was rife from 89-91 where movies were on poor quality videotapes before they hit the cinemas over here.

Of course, it killed the music and movie industry, there were no longer queues to get specific new releases and the cinemas were empty. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Don't kid yourself, it happened in the 80s, just not in the same way. Back then, people bought tapes, duped em using twin decks and then took em back the next day claiming unwanted birthday pressies and exchanged the original and therefore getting two for the price of one. Same with videos and pre macrovision protection. In fact video bootlegging was rife from 89-91 where movies were on poor quality videotapes before they hit the cinemas over here.

Of course, it killed the music and movie industry, there were no longer queues to get specific new releases and the cinemas were empty. ;)

Can't say I ever bought a tape or cd, copied it and returned it back in the 80's or 90's. I did copy cd's from other people though.

Generally I don't download music, although I have done. But decided to see if there were many places on the internet where I could legally download mp3's, and there aren't too many options. A lot of companies don't offer their services in Ireland (such as HMV and Amazon), and I didn't want to go anywhere near Itunes.

I found a couple of services (can't remember which now) but they didn't have the album I wanted (Flaming Lips, At War With The Mystics).

So until a number of decent drm-free mp3 providers are available to us here, I have no problem with people downloading music.

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Can't say I ever bought a tape or cd, copied it and returned it back in the 80's or 90's. I did copy cd's from other people though.

I certainly did, i was stone broke! There was a discussion about this in R&M a couple of months ago, so i know I wasn't the only one either. :D
    Generally I don't download music, although I have done. But decided to see if there were many places on the internet where I could legally download mp3's, and there aren't too many options. A lot of companies don't offer their services in Ireland (such as HMV and Amazon), and I didn't want to go anywhere near Itunes.

Itunes is handy for really rare and out of print stuff, making their stuff DRM free isn't too hard to do either, but that's really not up for debate for obvious reasons.
    I found a couple of services (can't remember which now) but they didn't have the album I wanted (Flaming Lips, At War With The Mystics).

So until a number of decent drm-free mp3 providers are available to us here, I have no problem with people downloading music.

Well that's just it. I still buy CD's at gigs from the artists directly. For instance, at the Lloyd Cole gig a couple of weeks back at Whelans (now that it can be finally discussed), i bought his two live cd's and a 4 cd box set for €55, which isn't bad considering i was expecting to pay that for the box set alone, but got six cd's (with a 7th one downloadable when a code is emailed to the website).

I've no problem getting music through the likes of artistdirect and so on, i just don't believe in supporting rip-off record companies who charge 20-24 euro for a cd that the artist only gets about 1/3rd of. But if i like a band or an artist, and want them to continue making the music they've been spending years recording and touring with, then i don't have a problem paying for their gigs, music or DVD's directly from their site.

Not having a credit card is no excuse, everyone knows SOMEONE who does have one and can just hand em the money to do so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've no problem getting music through the likes of artistdirect and so on, i just don't believe in supporting rip-off record companies who charge 20-24 euro for a cd that the artist only gets about 1/3rd of. But if i like a band or an artist, and want them to continue making the music they've been spending years recording and touring with, then i don't have a problem paying for their gigs, music or DVD's directly from their site.

Thought they'd get more like a quid or two from each CD tbh.

I've got music I didn't pay for, but I stand by the fact it didn't cost the artist or record companies anything, there's no way I could've afforded 5% of what I have if buying it, and I wouldn't have gone to the 10-15 live gigs I've been to otherwise, which I'd guess the bands get a higher percentage from than from sales anyway.

amacachi wrote: »
    Thought they'd get more like a quid or two from each CD tbh.

Depends on the circumstances, advances for recording and promotion have to be paid back. Most artists make their money on touring.
    I've got music I didn't pay for, but I stand by the fact it didn't cost the artist or record companies anything, there's no way I could've afforded 5% of what I have if buying it, and I wouldn't have gone to the 10-15 live gigs I've been to otherwise, which I'd guess the bands get a higher percentage from than from sales anyway.

I think most people do, to be honest. Although being brutally honest, i end up buying a lot of what i download at gigs. Most of my heavier downloads are live bootlegs anyway, so essentially, i'm only ripping off those who are ripping off the bands.

I've no problem sleeping at night because of it either. :D

I think most people do, to be honest. Although being brutally honest, i end up buying a lot of what i download at gigs. Most of my heavier downloads are live bootlegs anyway, so essentially, i'm only ripping off those who are ripping off the bands.

I've no problem sleeping at night because of it either. :D

Gotta love the live bootlegs. And when ya factor in how many others bought CDs and went to gigs after I got them into bands it easily balances out the few CDs I would've bought otherwise.

But try telling the record companies that. :rolleyes: If I had a credit card and there was a cheap subscription offered to download live, unmastered recordings I'd more than likely pay it. But that would be too much like common sense.

• Advertisement

But try telling the record companies that. :rolleyes: If I had a credit card and there was a cheap subscription offered to download live, unmastered recordings I'd more than likely pay it. But that would be too much like common sense.

Bands came around to doing that over years. Pearl Jam have done tours where pretty much every show was recorded and sold on. Marillion did it too, offered a subscription service for rare live shows.

Sadly others still think it's a risky move. Personally i'm all on for it. It's the bands music, if the sound quality is worth the payment, why can't they sell their own bootlegs?

Bands came around to doing that over years. Pearl Jam have done tours where pretty much every show was recorded and sold on. Marillion did it too, offered a subscription service for rare live shows.

Sadly others still think it's a risky move. Personally i'm all on for it. It's the bands music, if the sound quality is worth the payment, why can't they sell their own bootlegs?

Exactly. I mean with the internet now it's not like there's a capital risk of overprinting and leaving themselves exposed. Of course the trouble is that the record companies would more than likely charge full album price for a gig, rather than a small subscription giving people the choice, and make less money in the long run. Bleh, they should just put me and you in charge for a while. :P

Exactly. I mean with the internet now it's not like there's a capital risk of overprinting and leaving themselves exposed. Of course the trouble is that the record companies would more than likely charge full album price for a gig, rather than a small subscription giving people the choice, and make less money in the long run. Bleh, they should just put me and you in charge for a while. :P

Well one of the things about albums going online is to REDUCE manufacturing costs. Sadly that also means less revenue for the fat bastards in the suits behind their €10,000 desks in corporate offices.

Veering off the subject of music and movie piracy, recessionary times and general doom and gloom...

Myself and the future Mrs Raven put down the cash and bought our wedding rings today. They should be ready in about 10 working days, so once i get to see the finished ones (obviously as they have to be fitted to size), i'll stick up a pic.

No going back now guys, i'm doomed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

another milestone......congrats shawn! :D

Cheers, this'll be the last for a few years, then it'll be my 40th...

Crap, i turn 40 in seven years! I'll start saving up the pills now, cos if i'm still watching pro wrestling at 40, it'll be cheaper than the therapy sessions involved!

Pfft marriage. It's for saps.

Oh and eh, congrats. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ah wrestling is a form of therapy isnt it? as long as you dont sit there thinkin "wow this is brilliant television" you know you are not crazy!

Pfft marriage. It's for saps.

Oh and eh, congrats. :P

I was thinking of the tax breaks when i proposed a couple of years back... really should have seen that recession coming! ;)

• Advertisement

I was thinking of the tax breaks when i proposed a couple of years back... really should have seen that recession coming! ;)

Coupla years back? Ya must have a silver tongue to have put it off til now. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement