Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NI Nightmare

Yeah that was the intention.

It's my first festival ever, so I'm really looking forward to it, and me and my mates just bought a cheep tent between us as we've a fair idea if we don't trash it ourselves chances are someone might

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I really hate to do this, but when talking about MCD events can we keep the types of comments that could land us into trouble to a minimum please? It was stuff like that which caused MCD discussion to be ceased in the first place with a ban that lasted three years.

It would be nice if we didn't have to deal with it again. :)
    Cheers
    SR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

On another topic ... did anybody catch the latest Deadliest Warrior?

It's a show that simulates how warriors from different times/regions would do in a fight against each other. So you might get Native Americans V Celts, or Vikings V Ninjas. Anyway the latest episode pitted the IRA against the Taliban!

The result? :
    the IRA won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Anyway, was wondering, now we can talk about it, and assuming it hasn't been mention before (sorry if it has but I couldn't be bothered reading through the past 150 odd pages) but I'm making my wy to my first Oxegen this year any one else from PW heading?

Was hoping to go on the Saturday atleast, mainly to see KOL. Doesn't look like that'll be happening, but not too bothered about it.

Did go for the whole weekend in 2005, with 3 friends and enjoyed the experience...well, more so the music than the campsite at times...thankfully, our tent didn't get squashed by some guy pretending they were hurdles, that's something you don't see everyday :pac:

The campsite can be fun, especially if you have a good few people around you that you know or people you end up chatting to, but then again there are always people who are gonna act the muppet and ruin the experience for someone else :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I really hate to do this
    Sorry, my bad. Posted before I was fully awake.

Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

Sorry, my bad. Posted before I was fully awake.

Keep up the good work!

No worries, however I'd like to know what other people's excuses are? :confused:

Anyway, i'm waiting to hear back on an official ruling regarding this. I do appreciate the whole freedom of speech, freedom of expression etc. However, when boards is a privately run and funded site, all that takes a back seat for the good of the entire forum.

Once i'm more clear about all of this, i'll post an update. :)

UPDATE: Damn, the system here works quicker than the justice system in Back to The Future II! :D
    Right, basically MCD events can be discussed, but obviously use your heads, in a nutshell, don't be giving people the petrol to start a bonfire with. This rule goes across the board, guys. I'll make exceptions for the first few edits, afterwards i'll have to start handing out cards and bans strictly on the premise that it was posts like that that spiraled out of control in the first place and caused the whole farce. So I hope everyone can understand all of this.

Yes, we can take the liberty of discussing MCD (or for that matter, any other) events, constructively.
    No, we can not the piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NI Nightmare

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned it :(

Don't be sorry, discussion of the gigs, bands playing there, etc is fine. But if any horseplay took place, (bearing in mind, it's a forum read by thousands of people across the country (and outside of it)), anyone can read it and completely take it up the wrong way. Discuss the gig, perfect! Discuss the bands, no problem! Constructive review of the gig, welcome!

But anything that can be taken the wrong way = best left avoided. Considering that this time a week ago, it couldn't be discussed, period. I don't think it's much to ask. That's not me speaking as a mod btw, that's me speaking as a poster. Something I was long before they gave me the key to this joint. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

oxygen doesn't really interest me this year, maybe the last day

can't wait for ac/dc on the 28th though, u2 and metallica on august 1st, hopefully the weather will stay daycent

U2 are awesome live if you haven't seen em before. Seen em twice, hell of a show both times. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    U2 are awesome live if you haven't seen em before. Seen em twice, hell of a show both times. :)

no i have never seen them live before, we have tickets for the first night (friday)

I seen U2 live in Croker. At one point they tried to get us to cheer for some politicians. Bizzarre.

Oxegen has consistently had the best line up of any event/festival in Ireland. This has had a positive knock on effect of forcing festivals to think laterally in order to draw in the punters. Electric Picnic being the obvious example.

I did some costings recently on festivals across Europe. Took into account ticket prices, travel, likely cost of food and water etc. and came to the conclusion that Ireland isnt that much of a rip off. The only event that I thought would have been cheaper was Open'er in Poland. But that involves flying into Krakow and getting an eight hour train across the entire country to Gdynia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Got my ticket for AC/DC but thinking of selling it to go to a festival in the Czech Republic. Summer wouldn't feel right for me now without hitting a festival somewhere around Europe. The lineup for the Irish festivals are great if you're into that stuff I guess, just not my cup of tea, plus it's nice to see other countries too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Leaving Cert English, PFFFFFFFFFFFT.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    no i have never seen them live before, we have tickets for the first night (friday)

First time I saw them was the second Slane date in 2001 for the Elevation tour, (yes, that one that was recorded for DVD and no, you can't find me in it!). Awesome set from top to bottom. Bono had literally just buried his father a week or two earlier but still pulled out a stormer of a performance.

Some of Edge's guitar work really has to be heard live to be fully appreciated too. You'll have a good night, that's for sure.

amacachi wrote: »
    Leaving Cert English, PFFFFFFFFFFFT.
    I used to love paper 1. Paper 2 was a wrist-killer, tho.

I used to love paper 1. Paper 2 was a wrist-killer, tho.

Paper 1 just hurt my finger today, wrote far too much for the shorter questions compared to the longer ones, wrote 2 pages for a 15 mark question and less than 4 for the 100 mark question. Feckin daft. Probably only got about 70-75% of the marks, but once I do intelligible answers tomorrow I should pass which is all I need.
    Maths and geography on Friday which should be fun. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I think they have ruined the leaving cert by having both english papers on separate days. It's become way too easy IMHO. Having a wrist like a two grinding stones on Wednesday evening was all part of the fun. Now the department whine about how the stress of two english papers is too much.

Minto wrote: »
    I think they have ruined the leaving cert by having both english papers on separate days. It's become way too easy IMHO. Having a wrist like a two grinding stones on Wednesday evening was all part of the fun. Now the department whine about how the stress of two english papers is too much.

The stress thing is bull****, sure it's just another night of studying now for paper 2 and an extra day of stress later on. I know when I was in 6th year there were suggestions that they may be moving some subjects' exams to april/may to spread the whole thing out more. The kids who do get stressed with exams might think it sounds like a good idea but it'll only leave them just as stressed only over a coupla months.

Surprised how well my wrist held up tbh, since up til 2 weeks ago it was about 18 months since I had written more than a signature, date of birth and address. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Ha I remember my leaving and I wrote like 31 pages for paper 2 alone. My hand was in bits after it! Got the A1 though in the end :D

• Advertisement

Ha I remember my leaving and I wrote like 31 pages for paper 2 alone. My hand was in bits after it! Got the A1 though in the end :D

31 pages? Nice. I'll be lucky to hit 15 tbh, and that's if I started studying now. Which I won't. :P God I should really look at some poetry, or think of who I'm going to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

31 pages? Nice. I'll be lucky to hit 15 tbh, and that's if I started studying now. Which I won't. :P God I should really look at some poetry, or think of who I'm going to study.

Study Bishop.;)

I still have a callous on my finger from writing in the Leaving Cert thats still there to this very day. I reckon I killed a small Amazonian rainforest those two weeks.

I got a callus back in primary school from using pencils, it's still there, it calmed down a lot once I started using pens instead.

Planning to study Bishop, she's the only poet I did last time around. On the LC forum people are saying their mates were given paper 2 by accident and listed three of the poets coming up, somewhat surprisingly none of them are women, so I think I'll take that with a pinch of salt. :P
    At a guess just answering the MacBeth and Unseen Poetry question will get me a pass anyway, so I'm not too worried. Got a book of poetry and comparative notes earlier, spent about 14 quid on them so I may as well get some use out of them tonight. Still haven't worked out which 3 books or films to do for the comparative yet. :P

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0603/exams.html

I hate people. What was on the paper has been said in the LC forum and is exactly what everyone had predicted. If they switch to the backup there'll be some serious fallout for a lot of people.

Why can't people keep their mouths shut? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0603/exams.html

I hate people. What was on the paper has been said in the LC forum and is exactly what everyone had predicted. If they switch to the backup there'll be some serious fallout for a lot of people.

Why can't people keep their mouths shut? :mad:

Jesus I'd be so f*cking thick if that happened the year i was doing it. Does that mean the exam may not take place as scheduled at all if they can't get papers out? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jesus I'd be so f*cking thick if that happened the year i was doing it. Does that mean the exam may not take place as scheduled at all if they can't get papers out? :eek:

Theres a giant thread about it in the Lc forum. Apparently if they don't get the papers out in time the exam may be moved to saturday morning.

The exam is cancelled for tomorrow. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0603/exams.html

Ordinary level is too. If it's this Saturday mornin I'm ****ed. The twats in the school in Drogheda are gonna get some abuse over the next while. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The exam is cancelled for tomorrow. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0603/exams.html

Ordinary level is too. If it's this Saturday mornin I'm ****ed. The twats in the school in Drogheda are gonna get some abuse over the next while. :P
    i think we can all agree that this is somehow cbg's fault :)

hynesie08 wrote: »
    i think we can all agree that this is somehow cbg's fault :)

Too right. Somehow with the whole butterfly effect I'm sure we all had a small part to play. :P

Funny too, probably 15 students saw the paper, now everyone knows what's on it. Well, we already knew, but this really screws things up. Still nothing about it on examinations.ie which is strange, they're usually quick with updates, had today's papers up within a couple of hours. :P

• Advertisement

This wouldn't be the first time this has happened in the LC over the years. But it's completely unacceptable. LC students are under enough pressure as it is!

Dunno what else i can tell anyone here that happens to be sitting it, other than try to keep the head as the more you freak about it, the more it'll hinder you when Saturday comes.

Good luck guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement