Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

it's a great venue, it actually made for music, about time after the shed that was the point!

The Point was great for what it was, and how it did what it did for 20 years. Considering that it originally wasn't designed for music, it was converted well enough. As long as you weren't seated, the sound was usually pretty decent in the Point.

If you go to a gig, to sit down for three hours, then your loss. Serves ya right for not getting up early enough to get your ticket. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

:pac: very true, i have never sat at a gig where standing was available! i still say deep purple/lynyrd skynyrd in the point was one of the greatest gigs i have ever seen, and you are right in that a venue that wasnt meant for music they did do well but some gigs just didnt work in there! and when it rained the place flooded in places (but we covered that up pretty well when it did happen :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

girl-56-stars-tattoed-on-face.jpg

Anyone hear about this clown? Claims she "fell asleep" after asking for 3 tattoos on her face and woke up with 56. Likely story. More like Daddy saw her and quite rightfully hit the roof, so she made something up on the spot. That'll teach her to get a tattoo'ed in the first place especially on her face.:pac:

Full story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8104645.stm

Missus told me about this earlier, but didn't see the picture.
    Yeah, that's utter bollocks. Visit tattoos & piercings and ask any of the guys there, they'll tell you that any reputable tattooist will double check that is exactly what you want before starting.

Also given the soft and sensitive areas that those tats are placed, there's no way you'd not feel it in your sleep, unless you were put under anestethic. :P I know when i got both wrists done, i sure as hell felt it when the bottoms of them were done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

flahavaj wrote: »

Anyone hear about this clown? Claims she "fell asleep" after asking for 3 tattoos on her face and woke up with 56. Likely story. More like Daddy saw her and quite rightfully hit the roof, so she made something up on the spot. That'll teach her to get a tattoo'ed in the first place especially on her face.:pac:

Full story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8104645.stm

Read about that earlier, highly doubt she could have fallen asleep with the sound and the feeling of the needle...and on the face of all places!!

• Advertisement

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Just said I'd log onto boards from my computer at work...... yes, I got a job for the summer. Recession my ****in arse. Piss easy job too, helping out in an Enginerer office for a week or two while people are on holidays then out onto some form of site for the rest of the summer I'd say, happy days.

I must agree with the girl of the pingus, Limp Bizkit were unreal at Download, though it has to be said the highlight of the weekend for me was Motley Crue, finally got to see them live at Download and they were feckin brilliant

Will you be laying blocks on the site, Ger? I spent three Summers delivering washing machines. Made a man outa me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

flahavaj wrote: »
    Will you be laying blocks on the site, Ger? I spent three Summers delivering washing machines. Made a man outa me.:)

I'm not too sure yet, I was on a site last summer, and I spent three or four weeks tending the block layers, so I'll be more than able for it if needs be. I love working outside for the Summer, it's the only time we get any sniff of good weather, might aswell be out in it.

Speaking of, what was the worst summer job anyone on here has ever had? When I was 15 I spent a month and a half working with a local farmer for absolute pittance, but it was all that was going at the time, so I was happy enough. The work was torture, lifing blocks last summer was nothing compared to trying to dose cattle at 9 o clock in the morning in the pissing rain. I did get to drive a tractor though, a Massy Ferguson no less, so there was some fun to be had at least!!

Anyone else have a crappy enough summer job?

Dunno about crappy summer jobs, i did lounge boy two years in a row, but they were actually a lot of fun as a few of the guys i hung out with at the time were also in the same bar, so we were just getting paid to hang out together, which made it more of a bonus.

Had a really bad christmas job once at a fish & poultry place up the road from me, I used to come home stinking of fish (and no, not in that sense) on a day to day basis, and then when the deliveries were done, i was handing out flyers on a freezing, wet december day.

Got to meet a lot of people, and the pay wasn't too bad. But jesus, the job itself would cause a spike in the suicide rate if it was a career path.

I'm not too sure yet, I was on a site last summer, and I spent three or four weeks tending the block layers, so I'll be more than able for it if needs be. I love working outside for the Summer, it's the only time we get any sniff of good weather, might aswell be out in it.

Speaking of, what was the worst summer job anyone on here has ever had? When I was 15 I spent a month and a half working with a local farmer for absolute pittance, but it was all that was going at the time, so I was happy enough. The work was torture, lifing blocks last summer was nothing compared to trying to dose cattle at 9 o clock in the morning in the pissing rain. I did get to drive a tractor though, a Massy Ferguson no less, so there was some fun to be had at least!!

Ha, I worked on the uncles' farm every Summer as a young lad. Proper men's work too. Nothing like the sun on your back and working up a good hearty appetite with some hard labour. The worst was dragging empty churns from the creamery, they'd tear the knuckles clean off you. One thing I couldn't stomach for a long time was when the uncle would go squeezing bullocks. Not for the faint hearted, I tell you. :eek:

The brother had a job dressed up as a giant styrofoam cup of coffee, standing around Patrick St handing out flyers. He actually made a loss on the day's work as they charged him to dry clean the outfit after he left a terrible smell of fags in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I ws working on a line, packaging windows 95, or may it was 99, cant remember for 2 summers during college, with imbeciles and morons. At the same time during the first summer I also had a nightclub job, so i would finish a 12 hour shift, get home for 2 hours and back to work til 3am, go home for 4 hours sleep and back to work again. I was like a zombie for quite a while that summer.

Of course working in said factory, I heard one of the greatest conversations I ever overheard. I wa sout having a smoke at break (I used smoke then obviously). It was a saturday.

Girl 1: "Shurleeeeeee, you gooooon out tonite"?
    Shirley: " I am girl"
    Girl 1: "gettin sex?"
    Shirley: "Cmere gurl, I wouldn't know me hole at this stage if I fell into it"

Exit me sniggering

I apologise in advance I have have hurt anyones feelings with the above. Its a true story which i like relaying.

• Advertisement

Oh, and i also worked in a call centre for 3 months which was an experience. If ever you want to come across the bottom rung of society, it was in this call centre. Made ends meet for the while though, so it was not all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

ì got two crappy summer jobs,one is working on roofs monday to friday in cork and the other is in kilkenny working on the door in a chipper on friday and sat night!cant see the missus:(cant booze:(and worse of all any shows i have taped on sky plus may be deleted or partly recorded:mad:

but things like this keep me happy.the im marvel and im dc thing on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1R5PhReY5k&feature=channel

gimmick wrote: »
    Girl 1: "Shurleeeeeee, you gooooon out tonite"?
    Shirley: " I am girl"
    Girl 1: "gettin sex?"
    Shirley: "Cmere gurl, I wouldn't know me hole at this stage if I fell into it"

Exit me sniggering

This made me laugh out loud. Legendary and will be unashamedly stolen.

For me , its not even what she said was entirely funny, it was the unashamedness of saying this out loud in front of a crap load of people. Thing is, you probably would given half a chance, shameful and all as that may sound ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭DinnyBatman

i worked a summer holding a sign pointing to a hotel. BAAAD job!

i worked a summer holding a sign pointing to a hotel. BAAAD job!

Could be worse, a lot worse, you could have been the dude sitting on the end of Henry St, Dublin with that FORTUNE TELLER sign, only to be remembered for being on the INSIDE of a Def Leppard album cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

gimmick wrote: »
    Oh, and i also worked in a call centre for 3 months which was an experience. If ever you want to come across the bottom rung of society, it was in this call centre. Made ends meet for the while though, so it was not all that bad.

Did you have to deal with incoming calls or make outgoing calls because their is one hell of a difference. I had the later a few years ago and it was hell. I was threatened with all sorts of violence on the line. :(

Hah when i did phone support for IBM for the yanks, ten years ago, some of the abuse we got was unreal. A lot of those f*ckers still think the #1 hobby for the average Irish man is potato picking? Naaaah, Guinness drinking? Nope, Bono praising? Not even close.

Bombing buildings! Apparently that's what we do in our spare time!
    I laughed anyway. I even kept my cool that I didn't even mention Hiroshima and Nagasaki!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Hah when i did phone support for IBM for the yanks, ten years ago, some of the abuse we got was unreal. A lot of those f*ckers still think the #1 hobby for the average Irish man is potato picking? Naaaah, Guinness drinking? Nope, Bono praising? Not even close.

Bombing buildings! Apparently that's what we do in our spare time!
    I laughed anyway. I even kept my cool that I didn't even mention Hiroshima and Nagasaki!

I was on XBox Live the other night and some yanks started givin me abuse, so I abused them, asked what special stuff the yanks ever did. Now there's some properly good answers to that, but strangely they couldn't think of any. :P They went with "defeating the british empire." Cue one of them from Chicago going on about just how hard the IRA lads are. :pac: One of my mates said he got that all the time from yanks but I never believed him til then. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

Best job - was last summer working full time as a live help agent in a call centre, listening to my ipod typing away to customers, posting on boards and playing the wii with all the other staff all day. Department closed at christmas leaving me jobless boo-urns

Worst Job - Job Dunnes deli Lasted about 5 weeks ramming steel poles up chickens holes at 6am was not fun also dealing with horrible kids coming in for there wedgie rolls at 1 o clock giving me dogs abuse, There was this one real farmer girl who I used get a buzz off though she came in every day looking for "heeem and timetos" I just to keep asking her what she wanted like I didnt understand just for the laugh. "hem hem, hem n timmmettos"

Not to mention the other staff, all rough as feck wimmin who loved to talk non stop about there "rockwhiler" dogs and how they'd love to ride the manager (he was a dirty skanger too) . I walked after a pie exploded on my hand I just couldn't take it anymore.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I was on XBox Live the other night and some yanks started givin me abuse, so I abused them, asked what special stuff the yanks ever did. Now there's some properly good answers to that, but strangely they couldn't think of any. :P They went with "defeating the british empire." Cue one of them from Chicago going on about just how hard the IRA lads are. :pac: One of my mates said he got that all the time from yanks but I never believed him til then. :P

One of the games i play a lot on XBL is Tiger Woods PGA 09, and one of the unwritten rules of that game is when you play it live, you shut the f*ck up unless you're playing a 4 player party game.

And even then, most of the guys playing that are fairly civilised. :)

One of the games i play a lot on XBL is Tiger Woods PGA 09, and one of the unwritten rules of that game is when you play it live, you shut the f*ck up unless you're playing a 4 player party game.

And even then, most of the guys playing that are fairly civilised. :)

It was Forza. Right off the line one of the ***** spun me around and at the end of the first lap the same bastard had fallen to last, I broke too early for the last corner but he had 50 metres to go up the inside of me, but smashed into me instead. I called him a **** and it went from there. :)

amacachi wrote: »
    It was Forza. Right off the line one of the ***** spun me around and at the end of the first lap the same bastard had fallen to last, I broke too early for the last corner but he had 50 metres to go up the inside of me, but smashed into me instead. I called him a **** and it went from there. :)

How to lose friends and alienate people, by Amachacachchi!

How to lose friends and alienate people, by Amachacachchi!

Funnily enough I'm fairly sure they all ended up +repping me, once we got over that little bump I used my razorsharp wit on an obvious troll who was being obvious, they seemed to appreciate it. :P Which makes a change, yanks usually can't understand a word I say.

And I do a lot worse than call someone a **** when I want to alienate them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just got my official results from UCD. I've graduated thank God with a 2.1 degree. Well chuffed with that.

As Macho Man would say, Oooooohhhhhh Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh! :)

Fair play. :)

Just got my official results from UCD. I've graduated thank God with a 2.1 degree. Well chuffed with that.

As Macho Man would say, Oooooohhhhhh Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh! :)

Well done man, now that you're a college grad, does that mean we can get your name changed to Mr.Asshole? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well done man, now that you're a college grad, does that mean we can get your name changed to Mr.Asshole? :D

Phor sure. ;)

Lousy time to give us the results though. They're all asleep here in my house. :pac:

Phor sure. ;)

Lousy time to give us the results though. They're all asleep here in my house. :pac:

My final exam for my teaching diploma in IT is on Monday, won't get the results for about two months then. And by then i'll probably be knee deep in wedding plans to give a f*ck.

I'd wake em up, how often do you get to graduate? ;)

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Did you have to deal with incoming calls or make outgoing calls because their is one hell of a difference. I had the later a few years ago and it was hell. I was threatened with all sorts of violence on the line. :(

Outgoing, selling accidental detah insurance to UK people who did not tick the box on the end of their credit/store card applications. Horrific.

There was one gent who used just answer the phone and scream "stop calling this number". Of course everyone would just set him for a rescheduled call back.

The only upside of working there was I was working with my then girlfriend, so we got to amuse ourselves from time to time on company time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement