Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat dumping dead rats on porch!

Options
  • 18-11-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions - one of the neighbourhood cats has recently taken to donating mangled dead rats to us on our porch and in the back garden. Is there any way to gently dissuade cats from doing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Seriously though i have no idea. Some people put bottles of water in garden to keep cats away. Dont know what it does but ya could try it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't think there is a whole lot you can do except maybe talk to the neighbours, it is their way of showing off and natural instinct to hunt. 'Look what I caught for you' kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If your going to say anything to your neighbour, suggest they put a collar with a bell on it.

Mine has that, and while it doesn't take away her predatory nature - she still loves to hunt. She can't catch a thing with the noise her approach makes.

Poor thing :(

Happy me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

J-B wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions - one of the neighbourhood cats has recently taken to donating mangled dead rats to us on our porch and in the back garden. Is there any way to gently dissuade cats from doing this?

Believe it or not he is showing you that he likes you by doing it. He is demonstrating his hunting prowess and offering to share his kill with you.

Short of putting cat pepper all over the garden to stop him coming into it there isn't much you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

J-B wrote: »
    have you fed the cat? if so, the cat just thinks it earning its keep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭J-B

No haven't fed the cat or paid it much attention although we have christened it Battlecat since the bodycount has risen! In fairness am very impressed by his/her hunting prowess, just wish the evidence of same would be put somewhere else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Look on the bright side OP, it's one less rat that could try and get into your house during the cold weather. Poor guy is probably expecting a pat on the head for his kills. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There isn't much you can do, other than to approach the neighbourhood cat's owner and ask that they keep it inside for at least a while. As previously mentioned, the cat is either presenting its kills, or it simply likes your back porch and garden as a safe area from its hunting ground - even in the wild, cats will kill something and often move it somewhere else for quieter eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Mairt wrote: »
    If your going to say anything to your neighbour, suggest they put a collar with a bell on it.

Mine has that, and while it doesn't take away her predatory nature - she still loves to hunt. She can't catch a thing with the noise her approach makes.

Poor thing :(

Happy me :D

Cats with bells on their collars actually become better hunters. They learn how to hunt without making the bell ring. My cat caught 6 rats and mice in one day. Its great fun:P

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

I believe there is some kinda spray you can get to deter cats from coming to your porch, spray that in porch way..see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clare1

It's a gift. Our cats do that, we've had rabbits, hares, ducks etc:eek: If it continues you might want to get one of those sensor lights the light going on might scare the cat away:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

That cat must really like you!

We've had all manner of things left at the back door - and I've lost track of the times one of our furs has brought the mouse in dazed so she can do the final kill in front of us.

Not nice at 5 in the morning!

We had two cats at one stage, George (1ish) and Patrick (8ish) , both ginger. George use come in with the mouse/bird/bat either dead or half there... he'd leave it down and meow to get our attention... then Patrick would plod over - nudge him out of the way and put a paw on the kill and moew till we noticed what a great hunter he was *grin*

Seriously though, I don't know anyway to stop this - perhaps reverse psycology? leave some food out and that way he'll stop associating your porch with a place to kill and instead know it as a place for a tasty treat. I'm not talking about full meal sized food - you're not trying to lead him away from home- just a little dried food for him to nibble on.

xxKate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Simply ignore the cat for doing this, giving him any attention will mean you are proud of his skills and he will continue, i know it sounds disgusting but leave the mouse in the same spot for the cat to see that you are not accepting it.

Advertisement