Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In game graphics start well but..

Options
  • 18-11-2008 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

..they slowly degrade to unplayable,,and the strangest thing yet is on single player it plays just fine. I think the extra load for multi player is to much for the card 8600GT(game btw is 2142) even though I have over clocked it slightly and ran the game on lower than average settings.
    Strange problem as the card seems to test out just fine..

Its not a major problem as I dont game anymore but its just a puzzle as to why it happens, any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are the rest of your specs - cpu, ram?

8600Gt should sail through BF2142, the only thing I can think of is insufficient ram and having to use paging, or a slow CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

It has two gigs of RAM and 3.2ghz processor. They both test fine but I never thought to check the paging maybe its been changed, maybe I reduced it in the past I dont know. Havent gamed on the pc in ages and was only doing so to see a new map in 2142, rainy afternoon syndrome :)

cheers

Strange one, spec's are totally fine for the game. When you say performance degrades, in what way? Does the FPS drop or is the game stuttering even with a normal FPS? Use fraps or the ingame counter to determine that.

FPS stays the same, i could runs fraps but eyeballing it seems the same..after a while the game stutters a bit and basically all the graphics melt, buildings, terrain etc go a horrible color and the entire 2142 game and menu "melts" is the best way to put it, I know where the x out is and then I return to a perfect desktop..its baffling because this doesnt happen on the single player mode ???

Its puzzling as because everything else seems to run just fine except a game

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats Overheating. Disable the overclocks.

• Advertisement

Wish I had overclocks :)

My system is vanilla to the point.

I have however "cured" the problem by overclocking the card slightly and increasing the paging, my card seemed seriously underclocked compare to what others have tweaked out of it.

Overheating is not necessarily related to overclocking. Anyway, what you've described is really typical of overheating, or else a card on it's last legs - I assume what you're speaking of is texture corruption, artifacts, etc?

Overclocking won't solve your problem, what you've described is not linked in any way to the speed of a card or its capabilities. If the problem is 'fixed', it wasn't because you changed the cards speeds. At stock, a 8600GT is more then enough for the games mentioned anyway.

texture corruption and artifacts would be spot on...

I hope the card is not on its last legs because I never got the oppurtunity to get it on its first legs..

I think I will just leave it as the pc is doing 90% of the things I want it to do just perfect and smooth and concentrate on a new build, argh hate doing the research bit

Thanks for the help

Don't write it off yet, if its not happening in SP, then it's probably OK. Have you tried new drivers? Uninstall the current ones, use Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all traces and install newer ones.

Will give the drivers a working over if I get the chance tonight, but feeling pretty M'eh about it as I said it just bugged me it gave trouble with a game but thats not vital...this poor pc's retirement is coming soon and its destined to become a web browsing, photosharing, dvd making dumb box...the poor girl she had a good run...feeling like a Old Yeller moment coming soon

Now to research the new quad core's from intel

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement