Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Driver for Dynamode Network Card

Options
  • 18-11-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi.

Just bought a Dynamode NC100TX-DI 10/100 network card from elara... but can't find a driver for Windows vista anywhere... does anyone know where it might be possible to get one?

thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi.

Just bought a Dynamode NC100TX-DI 10/100 network card from elara... but can't find a driver for Windows vista anywhere... does anyone know where it might be possible to get one?

thanks!!

They're Realtek based, so www.realtek.com.tw. You can read the exact model number of the chip itself, probably something like 8139 or 8100.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭musicinmouth

Spear wrote: »
    They're Realtek based, so www.realtek.com.tw. You can read the exact model number of the chip itself, probably something like 8139 or 8100.

Thanks, it is the 8139, but the driver for that on their website didn't seem to work for some reason... weird... thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks, it is the 8139, but the driver for that on their website didn't seem to work for some reason... weird... thanks anyway.
    I'm surprised there isn't a driver for that in Vista already? It's a pretty common chip and I'm pretty sure there is one for it built in to XP at least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Alun wrote: »
    I'm surprised there isn't a driver for that in Vista already? It's a pretty common chip and I'm pretty sure there is one for it built in to XP at least.

There isn't, I've just checked the list of network adapters that my Vista supports and there's only a handful listed.

I got sent a zip file by dynamode support, unzipped it and tried to install the driver. I pointed the search at the un-zipped folder and Vista still says that it cannot find a driver. Any ideas?

The unzipped files have a folder for Vista. In that folder are 3 files: netsInt, readme and sInt.sys.

Has anyone any ideas? Am I doing something stupid? Could there be a problem with the card itself?

• Advertisement

I got sent a zip file by dynamode support, unzipped it and tried to install the driver. I pointed the search at the un-zipped folder and Vista still says that it cannot find a driver. Any ideas?

The unzipped files have a folder for Vista. In that folder are 3 files: netsInt, readme and sInt.sys.

Has anyone any ideas? Am I doing something stupid? Could there be a problem with the card itself?

Is there no file ending in .inf?

I've just checked on a laptop here with Vista Home Basic on it, and there's definitely a driver on it for a generic Realtek 8139 based card.

You have to go through some hoops to find it though, and go to the "Let me pick from a list of devices ..." section, untick the "Show compatible hardware" box, and then go to "Realtek Semiconductor Corp." (the second one in the list) and then look in the right hand pane for "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC", or maybe the one below it.

Vista will give you all kinds of warnings about installing an unsupported driver and stuff, and there's no guarantee it'll work, but it might be worth a try.

That's great - thank you! It worked!

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks!!

That's great - thank you! It worked!

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks!!
    Great news. Glad it worked!

It's still a bit puzzling why the driver supplied by the manufacturer didn't work though. Matching of available drivers and hardware is based on PCI vendor and device ID's. You can view these by right clicking on a device in the Device Manager and going to Properties > Driver > Details. These same numbers are also included in the .inf files that are supplied with the drivers, and Windows tries to match these up to see what driver(s) to install.

Maybe they updated the hardware slightly (sufficient to not actually warrant a new driver though), gave it a new PCI device ID, but forgot to include that in the driver's .inf file.

I've had to resort in the past to manually editing .inf files to change the device id's to match the hardware before now.

Advertisement