Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cheap Electric Drumset for RB/GH:WT?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I was in Maplin at lunch and there's an "Ion" electric drumset there which is MIDI. It cost €172 or so after vat.

It's kinda cheap looking... but for that price what would you expect... Anyway, I'm pretty sure you could connect this to your PS3/XBOX and play RB/GH:WT with it, so it might be a good option for some of you people who are pi**ed off with the stock kit.

It's made by ION.. The guys who made the apparently awesome RB2 drumkit (linky)

Anyway.. it's MIDI, so I'm pretty sure that means it'll plug straight into your Xbox or ps3 for GH:WT play.... For RB1/2, I'm pretty sure you'll need some sort of adapter thing. MSA-P from Highly Liquid is a popular one for xbox. synthmeisterg makes one very good one for PS2/PS3/WII.

You'll also need a MIDI to USB cable.. which maplin or peats, or any of those shops can get. (or http://www.thomann.de/)

Anyone gonna do this? I definitely would have done it if I didn't buy a €1500 Electric Kit from Roland yesterday :rolleyes:

Let me know how you get on if you do.. would be good to know if someone gets it all working... Please do more research before buying though as I don't want to get flamed if you buy something that won't connect.

(although it's a standard MIDI kit so I don't see why not).

Here's what it looks like...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98103

n58ck.jpg

Also.. it has some RB rip off game thing with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I saw this in the catalogue but it said it was usb,didn't say anything about having a midi out or even a brain.

Even with the midi you would still need to either mod it or have a gh:wt drumset to make it work on the game.

EDIT: Have a look at "frequently asked questions" that link you gave:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q) Does this thing have any MIDI capabilities as well? - G-Rock

A) unfortunatly not i am afraid.

Q) Does this have to be connected through a PC? - David Hill

A) Yes it does, the drum sounds are created by the soundcard in a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Ok, I agree.. it looks a bit funny, but I will say that the guys in Maplin don't have a clue what they are doing. They are just looking up technical documents which you can do yourself.

It's called "ION's iED05 drum kit", and you can get the technical specifications and documents from http://www.ionaudio.com/ied05

Now.. it doesn't have MIDI out... but then... it has a USB cable, so it *may* just work when plugging into an xbox or ps3 for rock band.... or at least for GH:WT it probably will.

I wouldn't like to pay for it and it not work, but I'm just saying it's worth at least investigating if you want a set that is most likely a lot better than the stock kit. It'd be a good price for a decent RB/GH:WT kit.

FYI.. this won't work with Rock Band... I looked up some specifications and even connecting the MSA-P to it won't work.

Although, you could rewire each pad to an xbox controller... but trust me, you'd need to be a decent electronical engineer or something to just figure that out by yourself :P

pity....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

This is bloody scary. If you remember in the the other thread I mentioned I was taking up proper drumming, well I ordered a set literally 5 minutes ago from the internet. Which set was it?
    https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/ION-IED01-Electronic-Drum-Kit/64Q

No word of a lie :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well since it's already on its way I'll let you guys know what it's like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

This is bloody scary. If you remember in the the other thread I mentioned I was taking up proper drumming, well I ordered a set literally 5 minutes ago from the internet. Which set was it?
    https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/ION-IED01-Electronic-Drum-Kit/64Q

No word of a lie :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well since it's already on its way I'll let you guys know what it's like

That one says it has MIDI,so if you plug it into the MIDI in on the guitar hero set you should be able to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Well i dont have GHWT so the MIDI functions will most likely be useless to me unless it works on either RB

EDIT: I thought my set was the same but I've just noticed they look slightly different

Well i dont have GHWT so the MIDI functions will most likely be useless to me unless it works on either RB

EDIT: I thought my set was the same but I've just noticed they look slightly different

cool let us know how it turns out

Advertisement