Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brooks saddles in Dublin

Options
  • 18-11-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone is interested but it seems Cycleways and Cyclelogical have become Brooks stockists in the past while. Cycleways had the B17 for a very reasonable 69.99.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I bought a Brooks from Cycleways back in 2001 or so :D

I disagree that €70 is reasonable for a B17.

Brooks have jacked up their pricing recently to ridiculous levels, my B17 cost me I think £23 new from Wiggle, a bit over €30 or so at the time. Titanium-railed Swift and Swallow were £90 each from eBay, and £40 got me a Team Professional from a guy on London FGSS.

Best place now is eBay or classifieds I reckon, especially for the more expensive ones. Apart from that you can still get the B17 online from the likes of CRC for £45 (€53.)

800px-Brooks_B17_Swift_Swallow.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

@Blorg, what do you think the difference is between the swift/swallow and the team pro? I've a team pro for nearly a year now and I love it but at the time of purchace I seriously considered one of the more expensive ones. Well done on the spin BTW. I was knackered just reading the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

blorg wrote: »
    I bought a Brooks from Cycleways back in 2001 or so :D

Only noticed them the last time I was in there. I know there is no Irish distributor for them now.
    I disagree that €70 is reasonable for a B17.

For a bricks and mortar shop, it is, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well I had the Swift (on my tourer) and the Swallow (on my road bike) for longer than the Team Pro (on my fixie) so may need to break it in a bit more but thus far I do prefer the Swallow and Swift, in that order. The skirt on the Team Pro comes down much further, like the B17, but it is narrower like the Swift.

There is a weight difference due to the use of Ti rails which contributes a lot to the price.

IMHO there is _no_ difference in quality of workmanship or materials (other than the Ti rails) between any of the saddles, from B17 up to the Swallow. I think the markup is entirely a marketing invention. Having said that I do find the more expensive ones more comfortable due to the shape ("butchering" Team Pros and B17s to approximate the shape of the Swift/Swallow has a long history.)

Advertisement