Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executor

• 18-11-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just hoping that someone could give me a rough idea:

Can an executor of a will get paid and what for.

What (roughly) can they expect to get??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Gangu

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Not my area, but "yes" from recollection, assuming that the will provides for payment from the estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IANAL, but I also have vague memories of the executor being able to claim expenses from the estate, if any arrive in preperation of the funeral or execution of the will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

seamus wrote: »
    IANAL, but I also have vague memories of the executor being able to claim expenses from the estate, if any arrive in preperation of the funeral or execution of the will.

Same as, but if the Will is made in the presence of a solicitor, they would 99/100 advise that "some" provision is made for the executor.

If the will is made out privately, and an executor is appointed, it is normal practice that the will is executed in the presence of a solicitor and that some provision would be agreed between the parties.

Under most circumstances, the executor is somebody well known to the family and "in cases I have heard of" payment is normally made for their time in either monetary means or with a gift from the estate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Yes. Provision is made in the will for payment. If the executor is to benefit from the will they should not be a witness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

Jo King wrote: »
    Yes. Provision is made in the will for payment. If the executor is to benefit from the will they should not be a witness.

An executor is not entitled to be paid and he/she is not entitled to profit from carrying out his duty.
    He/she is entitled to expenses properly incurred in carrying out his duty.
    However a charging clause can be included in the will if the testator wishes but in the absence of this charging clause,the executor can not be paid.
    This charging clause is regarded as a legacy so it would be invalidated if the executor(or their spouse) witnessed the will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Indeed.

Many solicitors will make a will for cheap with the expectation they will be the executor and there will be a charging clause in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Sangre wrote: »
    Indeed.

Many solicitors will make a will for cheap with the expectation they will be the executor and there will be a charging clause in place.

Not the case at all. Solicitors may draft a will at a discounted rate or in some instances for free for a client in the hope that when the time comes the executor will instruct the firm to administer the estate, but it is uncommon that the solicitor will be personally named as the executor. Remember just because an executor isn't entitled, in the absence of a charging clause, to profit from their role as executor that this doesn't preclude them from appointing a firm of solicitors to administer the estate on their behalf. But there is a big difference between a solicitor being appointed as executor vis-a-vis a solicitor being asked to act on behalf of an executor.

Solicitors are generally loathe to become executors themselves partly owing to the onerous duties placed on LPR's and for numerous other obvious reasons. Also if a solicitor is appointed as an executor it will further increase costs over and above the usual fees charged by them in administering an estate on account of the extra work and responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Gangu

dats_right wrote: »
    Not the case at all. Solicitors may draft a will at a discounted rate or in some instances for free for a client in the hope that when the time comes the executor will instruct the firm to administer the estate, but it is uncommon that the solicitor will be personally named as the executor. Remember just because an executor isn't entitled, in the absence of a charging clause, to profit from their role as executor that this doesn't preclude them from appointing a firm of solicitors to administer the estate on their behalf. But there is a big difference between a solicitor being appointed as executor vis-a-vis a solicitor being asked to act on behalf of an executor.

Solicitors are generally loathe to become executors themselves partly owing to the onerous duties placed on LPR's and for numerous other obvious reasons. Also if a solicitor is appointed as an executor it will further increase costs over and above the usual fees charged by them in administering an estate on account of the extra work and responsibility.

I concur. Sangre. where do you have experience of the practice that you mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Sangre wrote: »
    Indeed.

It does happen, in my experience, but it is uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 2breal

3% of the estate is normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 2breal

what part is uncommon that solicitors charge for their time or that ordinary citizen executors work for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Closed, old thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement