Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things im starting to dislike about Phantom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭automaticflare

very good survey

if everyone does one every month and fills in the comments at the end who knows what could happen

probably nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Have to disagree, Michelle has actually got me listening to the radio at work, she's a presenter with lots of enthusiasm and a good knack for picking a good track when someone requests "something from band X" - as opposed to Heavy Traffic which still suffers to a degree from the "Band X = Song Y" every time problem. Front Row due to its format obvious wanders a bit in the middle of the day, which can be a bit of a turn off. In a way it's suprising that it's on at that time. Phantom Daily can be good when they get a good topic going but Simon.... I like Roisin in the "support" slot but I also like it when she takes over the show. Can't put my finger on what doesn't work about Simon for me. Heavy traffic is a switch off and the problem with playing comedy clips is you have to pick carefully - effectively, stick to radio comedy. Come to think of it, replace Heavy Traffic with reruns of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue and Just a Minute, and you've got a great comedy centric hometime show. The same is true of playing film clips on Cinerama - errrrrr missing the point JUST SLIGHTLY.

Anyone not liking Theme Time Radio Hour and calling themselves a music fan is a complete twat. I've no love for any of Dylan's musical output but his show is brilliant. Shame on you for not listening to it.

PS:
    Pro Tip:

Don't ever play Republic of Loose.
    Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭automaticflare

PS:
    Pro Tip:

Don't ever play Republic of Loose.
    Seriously.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

+1!!!

They sound like craig david crossed with shabba ranks. And where are they from? Dalkey? They are worse than terrible.

• Advertisement

Wrong Craig David can carry a tune, even if it's a cheesy one, unlike the tosspost from Republic of Loose, who will only ever sound good gargling flaming sambuca. Or lighter fluid for preference.

Back on topic: The music survey is a great idea, might be an idea to plug it when a new one goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

Ah jaysus, don't diss The Loose. Listen to track 11 on "This is the Tomb of the Juice". It's feckin' funny. They hail from the ghetto that is Terenure. (well according to track 11) Every now & then they deliver a great song.

Wicked live.

Ah jaysus, don't diss The Loose. Listen to track 11 on "This is the Tomb of the Juice". It's feckin' funny.

No, it's crap.
    Every now & then they deliver a great song.

Only when the Funeral March is played.
    Wicked live.

Only if you're allowed to bring glass bottles into the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hi all, the July Rate Our Music Survey is now online. There are 20 songs to rate and there is also a music and programming suggestion area at the end of the survey.

Each clip of music is approximately 10-15 seconds long and you will need a PC with headphones or speakers. Suggest that you do it when you have a few moments to your self. Click on the link below to start:

RATE OUR MUSIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Used to depend on phantom back in the day when they were pirate, and if I am listening to the radio I do try stay with them but the constant barrage of U2 is nauseating and I like U2! what i'm sayin is you couldn't get them to play them when they were pirate, ye didn't have a hope of hearing U2 at all..then McGuinness swoops in and buys them and hey presto..Sinead ní Mhorda is playing them?? of all people!! it's pretty disgusting in fairness.
    Also they're playlists have gone to complete ****e and there is too much yapping by faaar on it nowadays..

I still like that it's loosely request based but for the most part it's lost it's way.
    Did they sell out or did they buy in?

they should try distinguish themselves from the other stations but right now they sound like a rickety Todayfm cover job.

• Advertisement

Have to say I've rarely heard U2 on the station - they played a live version of Exit on Key Cuts the other day which was spine tingling... there's a song that should shut up any U2 haters in the world if ever there was one.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Dublin's Indie Rock = u2 ??

Dublin City Fm > Newstalk > Lyric > Dublin City Fm > Phantom (only if i'm not home from work before 7)

That's my radio pattern. And i love it. Live Drive on Dublin City in the evening play's the best music out there at the moment. No competition.

I tried Dublin city recently. They played YMCA.
    Spank you very much, I can live without the aural equivalent of cat AIDS in my ears.

Phantom is suffering not so much from playing what other stations play as it is from other stations picking up the "indie" and homegrown scene a lot more (in some cases because of expat Phantom dj's). Although there's so much poppy 80's tat on the home scene now that it's difficult to avoid. Bring on Grunge II the hipocalypse.

Double edit: In case you're wondering, Cat Aids in the ears is still preferable to the Republic of Loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 eric the head

i listened to powerhouse tonight. it was one of the best shows i'd heard. phantom deserves kudos when they deliver a top show. Ray Magowon should host it permenantly .. sorry John !

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Acid Tongue

I'm a bit late on this but why no more album archive? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Stop playing Metallica over and over again, i don't wanna listen to heavy metal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

And they don't play nearly enough up and coming irish bands, I don't care how much they say they do.
    My band and also a few friends bands ahd incredible trouble getting phantom to play us even though we were requested.

I don't want to hear The Blizzards, the Coronas, dirty Epics, Infomatics or Noise Control again for a very long time!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MrConanD

Sadly Phantom passed away in 2004:(

HouseHippo wrote: »
    And they don't play nearly enough up and coming irish bands, I don't care how much they say they do.
    My band and also a few friends bands ahd incredible trouble getting phantom to play us even though we were requested.

I don't want to hear The Blizzards, the Coronas, dirty Epics, Infomatics or Noise Control again for a very long time!!!!

Did you consider that maybe your band is crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Hey strange... only found this topic after thinking that Phantom has being going down hill a bit of late.
    The Morning show is annoying, why are they following the format of all other stations, I dont want the stupid annoying "comedy" bits they do, I want some good music and a bit of banter. I think it was much better when Pete was on the air in the morning.

Also in all the shows I want a bit of banter, not an 50min of chat/news/traffic reports with 10 of music.

Anyway Rant over. I'll prob keep listening as its still a bit better then some of the alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

All the whining and moaning... the little babies "I don't want to listen to that band/song/person", please do stfu :) If you have a problem with any type of music or bands, then turn it off... Phantom is not going to tailor itself to you specifically. I have an alectic taste in music, I don't find any music selection to be that infuriating to make me post on the internetz... Really though, phantom is a great station, it is the best station on the radio at the moment FOR ME! There are things I don't like about phantom, but I change over for that period of time. Is it really that hard?

OP, that was not constructive criticism, it was ignorant and angry post. Could have been worded differantly to be frank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

All the whining and moaning... the little babies "I don't want to listen to that band/song/person", please do stfu :) If you have a problem with any type of music or bands, then turn it off... Phantom is not going to tailor itself to you specifically. I have an alectic taste in music, I don't find any music selection to be that infuriating to make me post on the internetz... Really though, phantom is a great station, it is the best station on the radio at the moment FOR ME! There are things I don't like about phantom, but I change over for that period of time. Is it really that hard?

OP, that was not constructive criticism, it was ignorant and angry post. Could have been worded differantly to be frank.

You won't go onto an internet forum to moan about a station but you will come on to emphasise that you have an eclectic music taste? :)

Anyway, I think most listeners (myself included) feel we have some form of ownership on Phantom because we all had to struggle through the pirate days & the risk of loosing a genuinely new form of radio in Ireland. Phantom also always catered itself to the listeners. Most shows took requests - real requests, not fake fm10bore type requests where you let the one dude who wants what's in the playlist on.

I think it's a unique situation for Phantom. They have to please the board members and keep the ad revenue rolling in, but they also can't afford to alienate the audience who's stuck with them for so many years. It's a rough balance, and from posts on boards I think it's safe to say Phantom are trying their best to reach a nice balance between music advertisers want versus music the community wants to hear.

They are loosing some of their charm with annoying two-bit formulaic morning shows with "zaney" bits and what not. They could go another direction and do something more edgy in the morning but I doubt their advertisers would like it. The zoo crew morning radio bit works in Irish radio. It will die like it has been in America... but that's the future.

Anyway, that's my two cents :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You don't own phantom, no matter how much support you have given them over the years. Hell if that's the case, I want my CEO title.

This is capatilsm, not too much can be done about it. They have to please more than you now that they are legit. They need an income, they need support from more than just it's fans.

The morning shows with the rubbish general chitter chatter just doesn't work. They think it does because of the likes of colin and jim jim (who are a pretty good duo). Most of them fail, when I hear this on the radio I just change channels... pleny of stations out there to chose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You don't own phantom, no matter how much support you have given them over the years. Hell if that's the case, I want my CEO title.

This is capatilsm, not too much can be done about it. They have to please more than you now that they are legit. They need an income, they need support from more than just it's fans.

The morning shows with the rubbish general chitter chatter just doesn't work. They think it does because of the likes of colin and jim jim (who are a pretty good duo). Most of them fail, when I hear this on the radio I just change channels... pleny of stations out there to chose from.

In fairness, their remit is set out by the license they were awarded - which was based on their past performance at providing a specific service. Their license should get priority over their needs for capital gains. If they were there to meet the needs of the masses they would have been given a license similar to that of 2FM. It sounds typical for Ireland - they get their license based on a set of criteria - complain to the licensing authority that they can't make enough money doing what they are doing & change the licence to allow them to do whatever they want - Ireland FM did the same thing - Now they do what they want instead of following the criteria set out...

The radio licences are there to create a broad array of entertainment & information services - and alternative music is one of these - it's comparable to Newstalk radio giving up their news element and playing music all day...

It appears to me that Zed FM were screwed over... (Zed being the other party competing for the license)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The morning shows with the rubbish general chitter chatter just doesn't work.

Absolutely, it's the only time I don't listen to Phantom, which is actually a big chunk of my daily listening time. It's usually just full of smart ass comments which are not actually funny. And despite previous comments made on air about the internet, we are your, and the advertisers, audience. It has become the parody that was used in the Sinister Pete advertisements.

I find the comedy bits are quite good - certainly better than colm and jim-jim who should be shot just for one half calling himself "jim-jim" never mind anything else. Richie definitely comes across as "frustrated bitter wannabe standup comedian" a lot of the time, but hey. In terms of a format is is a carbon copy of what all the other stations do, but as someone pointed out, it works for Irish radio like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

I can't stomach that morning show, & as someone mentioned they are churning out a format they previously ridiculed on other stations.

Just play good music. No harm in having a bit of a laugh but back to the music.
    I mostly listen on the commute to/from work, and would agree with this sentiment. Granted the morning show is not as bad as other stations' but I want to listen to good/new/interesting/different music, not useless chatter which I can guarantee will be on at least 4 of the other 5 buttons on my car radio at ANY point in the morning (and one of those is Newstalk).

<tangent>
    Seriously, it makes me fear for the future of humanity that so many people will - obviously quite willingly and without feeling the need to rip off and eat their own ears - listen to people ON THE RADIO banging on about NOTHING IN PARTICULAR.
    </tangent>

On a lighter note...
    I used to love the weekends. Cathal & Pearl. Oh yeah.
    Pearl has a weekend morning radio voice to die for. More than makes up for her name, Gawd bless her, which unfortunately makes me picture someone several generations older than my(already ageing far too rapidly)self (sorry Pearl, no offence, really!) :D
    jimkennedy wrote: »
    Clearly, they now have to make money as a commercial station, which is fair enough, so they must have some pressure to play more centralist, broader-appealing music.
    Shame there isn't an opportunity to turn Phantom into a subscription-only ad-free station... I'd happily stump up a modest sum of money each year if it meant no more ads and a decent mix of shout-along rock and fresh new music that I'd never think of sticking on my iPod.

It'll never happen, I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭DanSolo

No, I think you'll find without the fans, the advertisers won't want to know and the station will tank.
    Keep sight of that and the station will do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

5. Bob Dylan

Maybe its just me, but I never liked Bob Dylan. I found his own music boring, and his croakiness insufferable. Now he is on the radio, playing more boring music, and being croakier. I seriously dislike this show.

I have to say, I think this is the best show Phantom offer.

I used to spend the day driving in one of my summer jobs, and I pretty much spent the summer listening to Phantom (at the time it was the only station I could listen to for an extended period of time). I used to find that the same songs were repeated over and over, generally the 'Irish' bands (Ham Sandwich et. al). I'm all for promoting the local music scene, but I don't think it's music that deserves the amount of play time that it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Did you consider that maybe your band is crap?
    Its people like this thatv are whats wrong with the industry

Show us your wonderful musical contribution then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

STOP PLAYING FIGHT LIKE APES EVERY BLOODY DAY!

Advertisement