Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things im starting to dislike about Phantom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Who said I'm "part of the industry"?

The guy was whining that his band and his mates band (let's call them Prima and Secundus) didn't get played on Phantom "despite loads of requests". Now there are several possibilities here:
    1. Prima and Secundus are two artists toiling in obscurity, living from hand to mouth in a dilapidated squat in a tower block, creating music so far beyond the avant garde that like Nick Drake, they'll have no success until after they're dead.
    2. Prima and Secundus are the victims of a vendetta (possibly religious) being held by senior members of the Phantom staff for reasons unknown.
    3. Prima and Secundus are yet another bunch of spoiled dublin southside celtic tiger cubs producing generic, unimaginative, crap guitar "rock" that features people who can't play guitar and no concept that rock is only produced by men with hairy balls and questionable personal habits.

Since the dude would have to be psychic, or have inside information, to know that "loads of requests" have come in, I suspect the following is true:
    He's a shrivel-balled teenage southsider who emailed his crap band's (read daddy's hobby money) music, then got all his mates to text in requesting it, followed by his mate doing exactly the same, which is how he knows exactly how many requests were made for his no-name band.

Note to shrivel-balled southside knob jockeys:
    This tactic has probably been thought of before. You're not Bob Geldof, you'll have to be cleverer or more devious than that. Or, talented. Or the victim of some bizarre confluence of events, like the Loose, or Delorentos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I'm not even going to dignify that with some long winded response.

horrific *sighs

still never showed the wonderful musical contribution you are making t the world.... if everyone else is ****e well then please show me your amazing music....pfff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Who said I'm "part of the industry"?

The guy was whining that his band and his mates band (let's call them Prima and Secundus) didn't get played on Phantom "despite loads of requests". Now there are several possibilities here:
    1. Prima and Secundus are two artists toiling in obscurity, living from hand to mouth in a dilapidated squat in a tower block, creating music so far beyond the avant garde that like Nick Drake, they'll have no success until after they're dead.
    2. Prima and Secundus are the victims of a vendetta (possibly religious) being held by senior members of the Phantom staff for reasons unknown.
    3. Prima and Secundus are yet another bunch of spoiled dublin southside celtic tiger cubs producing generic, unimaginative, crap guitar "rock" that features people who can't play guitar and no concept that rock is only produced by men with hairy balls and questionable personal habits.

Since the dude would have to be psychic, or have inside information, to know that "loads of requests" have come in, I suspect the following is true:
    He's a shrivel-balled teenage southsider who emailed his crap band's (read daddy's hobby money) music, then got all his mates to text in requesting it, followed by his mate doing exactly the same, which is how he knows exactly how many requests were made for his no-name band.

Note to shrivel-balled southside knob jockeys:
    This tactic has probably been thought of before. You're not Bob Geldof, you'll have to be cleverer or more devious than that. Or, talented. Or the victim of some bizarre confluence of events, like the Loose, or Delorentos.
    As far as i Know HH is in a band called The Dirty 9s its either them or delorentos...

and the just got a record deal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Pure morning is has gone to sh**te since Richie McCormack and his cheerleader took over.
    Bring back Sinister Pete please for the love of god.!
    The playlist on Pure Morning has been unbelievably bad too.
    Crap like Metric, Fight like Apes, and that muck Hockey, are just so bad, my apologies to anyone who likes these bands.
    Then the all time classic of playing Kings of Leon tunes from the first two albums, just so that clown can say, "there was KOL with four kicks.....back when they were good", EVERYTIME..!!!Grrrr.

I've had to switch off on many occasions! Phantom may soon be a thing of the past for me, back to the Ipod I reckon.

That said, the station is miles ahead of anything else we have. 2 lobotomized morons on RTE and Ian "im trying hard to be Larry Gogan" Dempsey....no thanks.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

I remember when phantom received their license the owner/operator/manager stated they would never play U2 'Because they were Crap'..... Oh how things changed..

Yeah Phantom used to be a good station, to me anyway...

'Dublin's Indie Rock' - FAIL

• Advertisement

DigiGal wrote: »
    I'm not even going to dignify that with some long winded response.

horrific *sighs

still never showed the wonderful musical contribution you are making t the world.... if everyone else is ****e well then please show me your amazing music....pfff

By this logic, unless you run your own license holding radio station, you're in no position to criticise Phantom's selection process. The mere act of recording a song doesn't make that song any good, contrary to the firmly held belief of all the spoiled southsiders who have kept expensive studios in this city busy to date. I note that as daddy's investment properties have tanked, all these studios are suddenly advertising dirt cheap rates and bending over backwards to fit people in.....
    DigiGal wrote: »
    As far as i Know HH is in a band called The Dirty 9s its either them or delorentos...

and the just got a record deal :P

James Blunt has a record deal. In fact, he's got more industry support than your mate. What's your point? At least James Blunt openly accepts that his music is crap. So on all fronts, he's up on our dear poster. Record industry types are far from notorious for knowing it all.

Of course, if Mr "Nobody will play my music" wants to put up a link to said music and let us all listen to it, then maybe we can get a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

Wow - since when did it become a crime to be from the southside and play music? :confused:

Surely if the quality of music in Dublin is such an issue then discriminating on the basis of geography is going to give you an even smaller pool. I know what you're saying about bands who simply expect to get played without rooting this in any reality of talent but for gods sake, we're not all snobby bastards!! :o

Throat here, ready to be jumped down....

Nothing wrong with either - but that doesn't negate the fact that schoolyards and fresher pubs are lousy with identikit goys who are just chilling out til their band takes off, you know... and they're writing a few songs now, like... and their lead singer is just like amazing, like they can't even tell you... on daddy's credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

lousy with identikit goys who are just chilling out til their band takes off, you know... and they're writing a few songs now, like... and their lead singer is just like amazing, like they can't even tell you... on daddy's credit card.

Fair point - man they're a pain in the ass. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

Pure morning is has gone to sh**te since Richie McCormack and his cheerleader took over.
    Bring back Sinister Pete please for the love of god.!
    The playlist on Pure Morning has been unbelievably bad too.
    Crap like Metric, Fight like Apes, and that muck Hockey, are just so bad, my apologies to anyone who likes these bands.
    Then the all time classic of playing Kings of Leon tunes from the first two albums, just so that clown can say, "there was KOL with four kicks.....back when they were good", EVERYTIME..!!!Grrrr.

I've had to switch off on many occasions! Phantom may soon be a thing of the past for me, back to the Ipod I reckon.

That said, the station is miles ahead of anything else we have. 2 lobotomized morons on RTE and Ian "im trying hard to be Larry Gogan" Dempsey....no thanks.!

I don't hate Richie & Charlotte, they're far better than the other Dublin morning show hosts, but Pete was by far my favourite. He brightened up my mornings, I was gutted when Richie & Charlotte took over. Pete's playlists were also much better and not as repetetive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Plus he didn't play songs from particular artists just so he could make some pathetic smart arsed comment about them afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Too many ads, news/sports/weather reports, too much talking & not enough ****ing music.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Shiney wrote: »
    I don't hate Richie & Charlotte, they're far better than the other Dublin morning show hosts, but Pete was by far my favourite. He brightened up my mornings, I was gutted when Richie & Charlotte took over. Pete's playlists were also much better and not as repetetive.

Nothing personal .. both those two wreck my head. Nothing original or entertaining. Im sure you are both lovely people .. but one guy mouthing off about the weather/ice/traffic/crap and a girl doing a radio impression of nodding in agreement .. please we have a ton of those stations already.

I also miss hearing a good song and finding out it was some dublin band i had never heard of, and that were playing next week. Made my week !!

Fight like apes/republic of loose/U2 are the biggest gamble Phanton are willing to take now on "Irish" music ... ahh were are the new Blotooth/Otranomes/Brando's ?? It seems when you stopped playing independant music ... you start calling yourselves Irelands "indie Rock" station. Typical irony of any other radio station (remember Rock104 ?? ) Bring back Icon with Paul Clarke and something new unsigned (but keep the quality control on)

Also the night rotation is the same playlist every damn night .., come on .. it can not be that much trouble to change the rotation list .. or have we gone to corporate?

All of the above is just opinion .. listen or dont ... none of it is personal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

smog wrote: »

I also miss hearing a good song and finding out it was some dublin band i had never heard of, and that were playing next week. Made my week !!

Fight like apes/republic of loose/U2 are the biggest gamble Phanton are willing to take now on "Irish" music ... ahh were are the new Blotooth/Otranomes/Brando's ?? It seems when you stopped playing independant music ...

Hi Smog.

You might like Revolution for Dogs. We've been playing them for several months. The current track we're playing is called Camp X-Ray. http://www.myspace.com/revolutionfordogs

Also New Amusement are a band we love and have been playing lots. Most recent single is Planner, you'll hear it on air lots if you tune in. www.myspace.com/newamusement

We love Planet Parade too, they're from Kildare, but it's close enough :)http://www.myspace.com/planetparade

And Noise Control http://www.myspace.com/noisecontrol4real

Or 202s? http://www.myspace.com/the202s

All of the above can be heard on Phantom every day, any time of the day.

These are just a few, there's also Cowboy X, Messiah J and the Expert, CODES, General Fiasco, Oppenheimer, O Emperor and the slightly more established ones like The Flaws and Ham Sandwich, Delorentos or Alphastates and of course all the up and coming bands we feature at our monthly First Friday night in the Academy also receive airplay.

And we play Northern Irish bands a lot - Two Door Cinema Club and Yes Cadets are two you might like

Hope this helps.

Fiona

And we have I-con, Wednesday nights from 10pm. Total Irish content for two hours, I'm sure you'd find something in there too you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Good stuff .. maybe i have just been unfortunate in my tune in times .. hopefully i will start hearing some of the below rather then zoo station/ i will follow

And thank you for the Icon schedule, glad to know that is still there and will be tuning in next wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jimkennedy

And another thing...

Stop playing the really obvious song from any given band. It's always the really obvious 'hit single.' For example, this morning the lovely Michelle Doherty played Dandy Warhols. 'Hooray', you think, 'I haven't heard those guys on the radio in ages' but then inevitably the song she chooses is ... drum roll ... Bohemian Like You.

I like Dandy Warhols as much as the next guy, and I'm not looking for some obscure Japanese import dub-remix of a b-side or anything, but at least make an effort to look at other songs off the albums. No imagination. Boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Laurashmlaura

jimkennedy wrote: »
    Stop playing the really obvious song from any given band.

I totally agree. It's also becoming less and less likely that they're gonna stay "different" for much longer. In fact, they played a Snow Patrol song yesterday, and when I switched to 98FM it had the exact same song at the same time.

I also keep hearing that SAME new OK Go song and that SAME new Hot Chip song... which were a band that were never really very indie anyway.

C'mon Phantom, knock it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Yep that's what i hate the most is the fact they play obvious songs. Maybe they should do an album of the day where each show plays a track off a certain album.. just like bbc 6music do or have an artist/band of the day and play lots of album tracks and b-sides. I don;t just wanna hear new new music i wanna hear old new music too... if that makes sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

While there are plenty of things about Phantom that annoys me it's still the best radio station we have by far! I often get tired of listening to the same s**te on Phantom and do a quick flick through the 'other' stations and find myself right back where I started.

Things that annoy me most:

Charlotte - why? Somebody just answer me that!
    Richie Ryan - fine for Sat afternoon football results but take him off drivetime, it's not his forte.

And this one really kills me: anyone noticed the random playing of the intro to 'Hells Bells' either before or after another tune? Again - why?

I like the vast majority of the music but I would like to see some more Classic Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Charlotte - why? Somebody just answer me that!

Her voice is super sexy. D'uh!

• Advertisement

Her voice is super sexy. D'uh!

Sounds dumb to me, maybe that's the same thing to you!?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Ciaran

And this one really kills me: anyone noticed the random playing of the intro to 'Hells Bells' either before or after another tune? Again - why?

It happens at 6pm every day. I assume it's an Angelus joke.

Ciaran wrote: »
    It happens at 6pm every day. I assume it's an Angelus joke.

Now that you mention it I hear it every evening on the way home and leave work after 5.30pm! Well sussed Ciaran - still annoying though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭SM01

Jip wrote: »
    He's a great presenter, I miss him from the mornings but still catch him the odd time during other time slots.

Sinister Pete = Aural vomit. He's so grating and annoying it's hard to believe he's allowed on. And for fooksake, you're over 40 - drop the sinister moniker.

I've nothing against the guy personally - I met him a couple of times and he seemed fine. However he's a DREADFUL DJ and the Two Petes is an abomination.

Rant over.

SM01 wrote: »
    Sinister Pete = Aural vomit. He's so grating and annoying it's hard to believe he's allowed on. And for fooksake, you're over 40 - drop the sinister moniker.

I've nothing against the guy personally - I met him a couple of times and he seemed fine. However he's a DREADFUL DJ and the Two Petes is an abomination.

Rant over.

I like Sinister Pete and I'm sure that is a name he chose / got stuck with years ago and has carried on. The scariest thing about DJ's is that you build up a picture of them in your head and when when you meet them or see a real pic of them it throws you of balance altogether! 'Like that's Sinister Pete? No! It couldn't be'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Sounds dumb to me, maybe that's the same thing to you!?! :p

Ok I admit to having a wee crush on the Coventry lass, but she always seemed pretty smart to me...

Ok I admit to having a wee crush on the Coventry lass, but she always seemed pretty smart to me...
    ustralian, etc.

If she had an Irish accent you would think she's a gomm but I understand where you're coming from. If she had a Swedish or Latina accent I would get up early to listen to her blabbering on in broken English but as English is her mother tongue I just find her silly, same as I would if she was American, Australian or South African.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I like the vast majority of the music but I would like to see some more Classic Rock.

Yes, I want to hear some more classic rock also. There's nothing wrong with playing all the latest rock tunes from today but I think you need to mix them in with the classic rock songs of our youth and even our parents' youth. I used to live in NJ where we'd get all the NY stations. What made the NY rock stations great was that they mixed in today's rock with classic rock songs from the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Doors, Led Zeppelin, et al.

I hear Phantom playing the likes of the above on the odd occasion but we need to hear some more classic rock. I think some of today's rock music is the type that if you hear it too much, it really starts to grate on you (eg, for me at least, Death Cab For Cutie's song from New Moon). I want to hear more of those classic rock tunes that when hear you them on the radio, you just want to crank the radio up to 11 and say, "****in' great tune."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Whatever about the playlist being 'samey' lately, you can be sure you'll never hear the latest 'hit' from the X Factor stable. It's nice to have refuge from the blitzkrieg that is the xfactor machine : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I agree with the OP in that Phantom used to be much better when it first launched the music has become far too diverse...I'd much prefer a straight up Metal station that didn't pretend to be different...if you don't like that then go and **** off to Today FM, 4FM, 98FM, 104FM etc etc

The fact is I would give anything to hear the words....

"And that was the news and sports with me here on Phantom FM, now here's Pantera...."

Advertisement