Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things im starting to dislike about Phantom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Metal, I would say, is a minority in the alternative music scene, alternative being anything that's not 'pop'. By telling people that if they don't like a pure metal station to f off somewhere else you're talking about a hell of a lot more people than what would actually tune into a pure metal station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Matey

It must be a full time job trying to be a music snob. I have a job so can't say it's something I pride myself on. All radio stations play some songs more than I like to hear them but at the same time they're not going to survive playing stuff that one in every million want to hear, you're just not that special.

As for the Charlotte - why? query. She is a 'producer' so lucky for her shes not there to present trying to keep all you miserable b tards happy.

Hungover and grumpy
    Over and out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinor

I have to agree with a lot of the negative comments made so far, but what has really annoyed me is having backing music for the news. Its bad enough that they have to have news, but please drop the music and sound effects! It is so annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Laurashmlaura

Oh, SECOND definitely. Bed's drive me crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Not too long ago I texted in on the morning show asking to play some slayer to wake me up. The presenter (Richie, is it?) thoguht I was joking. Haven't listened to phantom since cos that incident made me realise how terrible the station had gotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Not too long ago I texted in on the morning show asking to play some slayer to wake me up. The presenter (Richie, is it?) thoguht I was joking. Haven't listened to phantom since cos that incident made me realise how terrible the station had gotten.

Hi, as you can appreciate it, we won't be able to play every ones request at the time that you make it. We do monitor all requests and that has an input into our music selection.

It's interesting that you mention Slayer. I had a look at the airplay stats for the band and the only commercial radio station (local or national) in Ireland to play Slayer in the past 6 weeks was Phantom. So if you are going to hear Slayer, it will more than likely be on Phantom. Incidentally, the number of times that Slayer (any song) was played in the UK and Ireland in the same period was a total of 21 plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Whenever I turn on Phantom they're either talking or playing crap songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

BrianD wrote: »
    Hi, as you can appreciate it, we won't be able to play every ones request at the time that you make it. We do monitor all requests and that has an input into our music selection.

It's interesting that you mention Slayer. I had a look at the airplay stats for the band and the only commercial radio station (local or national) in Ireland to play Slayer in the past 6 weeks was Phantom. So if you are going to hear Slayer, it will more than likely be on Phantom. Incidentally, the number of times that Slayer (any song) was played in the UK and Ireland in the same period was a total of 21 plays.

Thanks Brian, you certainly schooled me there. But the reason I brought it up is because although phantom are infinitely more likely to play slayer, the station is becoming more "poppy" and "hip", the fact that the dj took it as a joke rather than either playing it or not being able to fit it in confirmed this to me.

I'm not a music elitist, but phantom has become as bland and repetitive to me as every other station on the radio, even though it focuses on a different genre, it's now too close to all the other rubbish out there to hold my concentration for any amount of time.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

admittedly Michelle Doherty's need to laugh at things for no real reason got on my nerves at the start. But warming to her gradually.
    Phantom doing a good job overall. keep up the good work folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Ok I've been dyeing to say this. Radio with attitude? Are you all Power Rangers? :P :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

jimkennedy wrote: »
    And another thing...

Stop playing the really obvious song from any given band. It's always the really obvious 'hit single.' For example, this morning the lovely Michelle Doherty played Dandy Warhols. 'Hooray', you think, 'I haven't heard those guys on the radio in ages' but then inevitably the song she chooses is ... drum roll ... Bohemian Like You.

I like Dandy Warhols as much as the next guy, and I'm not looking for some obscure Japanese import dub-remix of a b-side or anything, but at least make an effort to look at other songs off the albums. No imagination. Boring.

It's the same with Happy Mondays, the only HM song they ever seem to play on Phantom is Step On. Also I'd wish they'd play a Metallica song other than Enter Sandman once in a while.

Phantom certainly has lost something since they became legit. That's expected to be honest as they have to try and appease their benefactors by becoming a bit more mainstream. They are still a huge cut above everything else on the radio at the moment, especially brain-dead tripe such as Spin, Q102 and 98FM etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

admittedly Michelle Doherty's need to laugh at things for no real reason got on my nerves at the start. But warming to her gradually.
    Phantom doing a good job overall. keep up the good work folks

I could listen to Michelle all day but if she says "Happy Days" one more time I'll scream:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

RichTea wrote: »
    Whenever I turn on Phantom they're either talking or playing crap songs.
    thats pretty much my experience too....lame radio

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

While alot of concessions have had to be made i do feel phantom are listening to the feedback, their music is never going to be the same as it was but it's still streets ahead of the rest of them in my opinion.

The late night weekend schedule is where it's at, Derek Byrne on a sunday night is by far my favourite show.

Daytime radio has to be, by it's nature, competitive, otherwise there would be very little money made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

The two Richies drive me insane... waaay too much talking and they play the same crap all the time.... and don't get me started on Charlotte Flood... Bring back Sinister Pete in the morning and Jack Hyland in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

must admit i stopped listnin to Phantom entirely when it got a license.. thats a few years now innit?! bring back Spectrum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Star Bingo wrote: »
    must admit i stopped listnin to Phantom entirely when it got a license.. thats a few years now innit?! bring back Spectrum!

as you stated you haven't tuned in for years so shut it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Not too much to dislike about it myself but i do refrain from listening to a whole show slot as i do get the Groundhog day feel sometimes with the tunes and ads,but thats every station outhere imo.

I did enjoy it in the earlier pirate days and i have been listening since the early 90`s but like a lot of things when it goes from a minority to a majority it can loose originality and direction.

Still it gets around 3-4 hours daily listens from me and will continue to.

Have to say too,Michelle Dohertys constant giggling does get to me but i have to applaud her 90`s lunchbox :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Personally I don't like how mainstream Phantom is becoming.
    I used to listen to Phantom because they were playing different stuff to all the other terrible radio stations.
    Now they are just slowly becoming like all the others.
    If I wanted mainstream, I would listen to Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I've stopped listening because of that Charlotte one in the mornings. I know the show has to appeal to a wide target market and I know there are key demographics but the depths of stupidity that girl plumbs is just beyond acceptable levels. It should not be targeted away from me just because I may have read a book or two in my lifetime.

She is not funny. She is woefully uninformed about any topic. Her modus operandi seems to be the gibber and bray into the microphone at the merest hint of attempted humour. It makes Colm and Jim Jim look like the South Bank Show.

Change it up Phantom. Put a bit of intellect back into your roster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's still head and shoulders above the other stations, a few enforced days, having to listen to 98FM soon remind you of this fact.

However, I do find Phantom guiltier of repetition more than the mainstream stations - they seem to champion 1 or 2 artists / tracks & decide to repeat them ad nauseum. And when they do play the odd classic - say from Morrissey or Pixies, it's the same effin' tracks!

Wish I could see into Michelle Doherty's studio and find exactly what it is that has her constantly giggling and laughing to herself, I could do with that kind of jollity in my office :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

whats with all the bitching, sure they can't play every song someone requests and some of the DJ's are irritating. but Feck it whats the alternitave. Spin, Q, 2Fm, FM104, Beat, Newstalk.

I listen to the morning show from 7 to 8 and i enjoy it. Richie seems like a likable chap.
    When i have a chance i listen to Simon Mahers show, he's professional plays good music and is generally a very good DJ but no one ever here gives him the credit he deserves. You're all to busy bitching. but look at the alternatives.

And the guy who wanted Slayer on in the morning. I'm all up for some metal but come on that's a bit much that early.

+ Powerhouse is probably the best show on the radio.

Anyway end of my rant, lads keep up the good work.

Need we be reminded majority of the songs played on Phantoms shows are requests.

That to me seems to be the problem.

Just people pushing buttons with little or no say of their own,it can work some of the time but not all,hence the repetition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

allanb49 wrote: »
    whats with all the bitching, sure they can't play every song someone requests and some of the DJ's are irritating. but Feck it whats the alternative?. Spin, Q, 2Fm, FM104, Beat, Newstalk.

Ipod :D

(play any music you want, any podcasts you want, whenever you want, wherever you want).

Gave up on radio a long time ago bar tuning into the news occasionally :) Said cheerio to Phantom some time ago, fond memories though.....

Bluehair wrote: »
    Ipod :D

(play any music you want, any podcasts you want, whenever you want, wherever you want).

Gave up on radio a long time ago bar tuning into the news occasionally :) Said cheerio to Phantom some time ago, fond memories though.....

33 yrs old no ipod or the likes and never had and i bought 2 record singles yesterday,happy as a pig in ....

Still get the feel for the live buzz/company listening to a show,your own tracklist can isolate you ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Gregsor wrote: »
    33 yrs old no ipod or the likes and never had and i bought 2 record singles yesterday,happy as a pig in ....

Good grief Grandpa get with the times ;) I really hope you don't feel as old as you seem to think you are :D
    Still get the feel for the live buzz/company listening to a show,your own tracklist can isolate you ;).

There's something to be said for a decent live show all right but thats the problem that's coming up again and again on this thread :(

While not live there's a huge list of great podcasts (thats a 'show' for you auld lads ;) ) that cater to diverse interests. It's a natural home for those whos' musical/talk show tastes extend beyond the regular commercially driven run-of-the-mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i used to be able to listen to it all the time, now they got all this indie crap with some douche singing whos voice sounds like its breaking. sometimes you can get ACDC, but thats all the rock ive heard and sometime metallica. its sopposed to be alternitive and rock.

Bluehair wrote: »
    Good grief Grandpa get with the times ;) I really hope you don't feel as old as you seem to think you are :D

No your fine thanks,you can have your digital,disposable,downloadable lifestyle if you please,not for me.

I don`t feel old at all actually,youngest i`ve felt in a while tbh:D

While not live there's a huge list of great podcasts (thats a 'show' for you auld lads ;) ) that cater to diverse interests. It's a natural home for those whos' musical/talk show tastes extend beyond the regular commercially driven run-of-the-mill.

True that,i am well aware of podcasts but i would not have any use as i don`t brandish an mp3/ipod player but i am sure they are a great medium for the folk who prefer the less commercial shows as you said and want to get to the proper music without filtering through the mainstream bull sometimes.

Each to their own as always,me i`m on the lookout for an old record player if you happen to spot one ;).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Overature wrote: »
    i used to be able to listen to it all the time, now they got all this indie crap with some douche singing whos voice sounds like its breaking. sometimes you can get ACDC, but thats all the rock ive heard and sometime metallica. its sopposed to be alternitive and rock.

Wait until the new owners come in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

new owners you say? rumor or truth :P

Advertisement