Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English FA owe the FAI a friendly...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh! A game needs to be played I think if only to lance the boil that this thread highlights.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Polish fans have as much of a reputation, where is the outcry at them playing on Wednesday?

But they love us. We gave them jobs! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm hoping the Poles go crazy and trash the place and then goosestep down O'Connell Street kicking ethnic minorities

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

We certainly have our own problem. The little scumbags from the schoolboy terrace now all lodged into the lower corner of the cusack stand. Every game something always kicks off there. They do be thumping the head of one and other and then putting English supporters in there I could see only stoking the fire. It was the exact same in Lansdowne road with they had thier own section beneath the tv studio at least then they were isolated from the rest of the crowd.

They would be goin on with the Ra songs non-stop instigating it. It would be a disaster, best situation is to just give the FA no ticket allocation but no doubt a couple of thousand will still get their hands on some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mike65 wrote: »
    What a crap thread.

Mike

And you just won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But they love us. We gave them jobs! :pac:

That we're now taking back because of the recession? They'll massacre us...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Those Poles will tear Croker apart tonight just so they can tender the cheapest bid to repair it! Deperate times etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Pigman II wrote: »
    Those Poles will tear Croker apart tonight just so they can tender the cheapest bid to repair it! Deperate times etc....

When Wisla Krakow played at White Hart Lane they managed to sneak about 3k fans into the home sections, some thought it was a ploy by Daniel Levy to get one side of the new stadium built on the cheap.

20 of them went into the Park boozer, mob-handed, emerged 2hrs later after a complete refit.

Good workers them Poles...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,678 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just back from a drink with some visiting English fans. No trouble reported or seen. Fair enough, we were nowhere near the centre, but those of you hoping for riots to back up your no-friendly-in-Lansdowne stance are going to be disappointed. You'll still have to go with past reputation and the occasional youtube video.

Anything happen around Croker?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'd be more worried about the Irish scum bags than the English ones personally.

The hardcore element has gone from the English supporters, mainly because the FA monitor the ticket sales very closely. When was the last time there was a mass punch up at an England game? there were around 100 English fans arrested at the last world cup, most after a fight started by German fans. Of the 200,000 that were in Germany for the quarter final, that's not a bad return.

How many Irish fans were arrested at the last world cup :P

pretty much everyone I know that was at the last game at Lansdowne will openly say that trouble was going to happen, it was just a case of who started it and who finished it. There were a lot of Irish fans looking for trouble that day as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The hardcore element has gone from the English supporters, mainly because the FA monitor the ticket sales very closely. When was the last time there was a mass punch up at an England game? there were around 100 English fans arrested at the last world cup, most after a fight started by German fans. Of the 200,000 that were in Germany for the quarter final, that's not a bad return.
    I'm sorry, but that's not an acceptable excuse. "Sorry officer, I only kicked their heads in and threw a table through the shop window because they started it!" :rolleyes:

How many Irish fans were arrested at the last world cup :P
    Well as seen as it's been a while since our last tournament :o the next best judgment is our away matches. For the last qualifiers 20,000 Irish fans went to Germany and there was only 1 arrest, and that was for some clown doing a Nazi salute from his hotel room. Now that's not a bad return!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that's not an acceptable excuse. "Sorry officer, I only kicked their heads in and threw a table through the shop window because they started it!" :rolleyes:
    unless you are defending yourself and the police just nick everyone involved, which is what tends to happen.

i don't want to get into a pissing contest, but England's (Deserved) reputation far outweighs modern reality. As I said, I would be more worried about some Dublin scumbag going to Landsdowne to cause trouble than I would England fans.

Well as seen as it's been a while since our last tournament :o the next best judgment is our away matches.

That fact was not lost on me :D

Away games are different as people go, watch the game and come home again. Tournaments mean people staying on which is where the trouble tends to come from.

I think it would be a good idea, but the FA are more worried about TV rights than they anything else. the potential hassle involved in an England v Ireland match is probably offsets the income from TV revenue.

Away games are different as people go, watch the game and come home again. Tournaments mean people staying on which is where the trouble tends to come from.
    I hear what you're saying but away matches can be quite the same in the sense that fans will stay the night before as well as the night of the game and with tournaments all the games are not played in the same place so the fans have to move about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I'm left wondering how many of the 'experts' posting here were alive in 1995, never mind at the game.

If Delaney can get Engerland for free and sell them back the tv rights its great business. End of thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,678 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Way to miss the point!! As stated, you've got to rely on past reputation and sporadic youtube vids ro rely upon to make a point.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Way to miss the point!! As stated, you've got to rely on past reputation and sporadic youtube vids ro rely upon to make a point.
    Maybe it's because I'm hungover but I haven't a clue what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anything happen around Croker?

A gang of Irish got completely turned over by a superior Polish mob.

In fairness, the Irish did manage to sneak back two goals though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

'Them' being a bunch of seven or eight scumbags in said video.

Do you actually remember this happening?? Cos I do and I can say for certain that there was a lot more that Seven or Eight english fans involved.....

neacy69 wrote: »
    Do you actually remember this happening?? Cos I do and I can say for certain that there was a lot more that Seven or Eight english fans involved.....

Jesus, yeah. it was a full blown riot.

My mate drove over for the game and he said that the ferry was full of scumbags looking for a fight. Then he saw groups of Irish lads singing up the RA and he knew that the game was doomed. He was surprised it even managed to kick off.

He has travelled to games all oevr the world with England and that is the most scared he has been at a football match.

neacy69 wrote: »

Comment was referring to a youtube video posted earlier in the thread, not the Landsdowne game.

I remember a lot about the early eighties/late nineties and Lansdowne was by no means the worst of it. I also remember Berlin last night, which was a completly different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I remember a lot about the early eighties/late nineties and Lansdowne was by no means the worst of it. I also remember Berlin last night, which was a completly different story.

Thats the point. People have to remember the political climate in 95 was very different. The behaviour of their fanbase has improved leaps and bounds in the past 13 years and it would be foolish not to acknowledge that. The English FA now vet ticketholders in a far more rigerous manner. The stadium is better designed to segregate fans and not as easy to pull apart. There are a dozen reasons why uts highly unlikely that there would be trouble in the stadium.

Interesting that the fact the brits got slapped round Dublin all day has disappeared from the Joe Duffy-esque narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Guys,

It was only luck of the draw(s) that England were not playing at Croke Park .

Or would you have refused to play it ?

The way a lot of you speak that makes me a nasty scumbag too ( I am an England fan ).
    I can tell you I don't watch England in pubs in Ireland anymore because of the scumbag ' Irish ' fans wearing ManU/Celtic/Liverpool shirts shouting racist comments at me ( and my Irish wife , reducing her to tears and apologising for her country ).

The world has moved on , but I am afraid there are still elements out there that have not ( a'la love ulster etc ).

If this game went ahead , would I go ? Almost certainly not, just not worth it.

I still think a lot of what happened in '95 was because of inept policing , where the local police were asked to turn people back at the airport but were too busy/couldn't be bothered to do it. The ticketing arrangements etc also left a lot to be desired ( I think they expected rugby fans ). It does not take away from the fact there were elements there ( C18 etc ) that just were horrible and their behavior was very bad indeed, but don't mix these up with the vast majority of English fans .

The English following have changed a lot , but they are still horribly jingoistic, I hate to say it we could learn a lot from the rugby crowd. Last night for example both national anthems were booed , which I think is horrible.

I truly WISH this could happen , after all we are neighbours !

Nobody is saying "all" English fans are bad, it's only a small minority, and unfortunately for you that small minority seem to be consistent with their behaviour. There is certainly a bad element with the Irish fans but not to the extent of the English fans though.

The problem with the England team playing in Croke Park would have been the fact that they would've booed the National Anthem and with the history there it wouldn't have went down well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Nobody is saying "all" English fans are bad, it's only a small minority, and unfortunately for you that small minority seem to be consistent with their behaviour. There is certainly a bad element with the Irish fans but not to the extent of the English fans though.

The problem with the England team playing in Croke Park would have been the fact that they would've booed the National Anthem and with the history there it wouldn't have went down well.
    Same as they did last nite, ignorant cnuts

You are right, I don't think it should be played there because of that reason. It sickens we when fans boo national anthems and it would mean so much more at croker. it would also give the bad element the excuse to come over as well, which no one wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We have boneheads that would boo players because they play for a so-called prod team.

Ergo: boneheads exist. And are not necessarily bound by nationality.

Advertisement