Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ER

• 18-11-2008 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Dont know if it still has many fans left its currently on its last season with some surprise returns (Dr. Mark Greene who died on the show returned for a flashback episode)

I know Greys Anatomy and House have now conquered the doctor drama market on TV but ER was top dog for a long time.

It started Clooney's career
    George Clooney is all set for a return to ER, according to former castmate Noah Wyle.

Clooney has made it clear in recent months he will not reprise his Dr Doug Ross character for the medical drama's finale, but pal Wyle insists there are secret plans to bring the movie star back to the show where he got his big break.

Wyle says, "From what I heard, George said, 'Absolutely, schedule permitting'."

And the actor reveals Clooney won't be the only former castmate coming back for episodes next year - he'll be starring in a storyline opposite Eriq La Salle.

But not everyone is keen to return to the show - Juliana Margulies turned down an invitation to reprise her role for the final series of the medical drama, because she doesn't think her character's storyline can be improved.

Margulies portrayed nurse Carol Hathaway on the show.

I would like to see Carol and Doug back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

JP Liz wrote: »
    I would like to see Carol and Doug back

The missus is still a fan and is up-to-date with the current season.

I have seen a number of articles, most recently in Futon Critic, ruling out the possibility of Carol & Doug appearing again.

I thought Kerry Weaver was due to appear in last week's but, in the bits I saw, she wasn't. Or was she ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I like ER but alas I'm too young to remember the "Clooney" era, when it was supposedly at it's best. It has gone downhill in the past few seasons - I think Abby is the only character that's still interesting.

I'm guessing the last season will start on RTE1 when The Clinic is finished? I'd love to see Weaver back - she was cool! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

TarfHead wrote: »
    I thought Kerry Weaver was due to appear in last week's but, in the bits I saw, she wasn't. Or was she ?

She was. Greene, Weaver, Romano & Jerry all appeared in the flashback bits of last Thursday's episode in America. Eriq LeSalle(Benton) even appeared at the start in a tribute to the late Michael Crichton.

The episode really made me long for the Er of old. It was a tremendous episode. You can guarentee Anthony Edwards will recieve an Emmy nomination for his appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

when will it be on TV over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I emailed RTE a few weeks back and they didn't know themselves.
    Hopefully once the Clinic is over they will put ER on

I can't wait to see it back, I'll miss it when it finally finishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

I emailed RTE also, and all they could tell me was sometime in December, for the new season.

Been keeping up with the US myself, anywho, and I echo chalks earlier sentiments, last weeks flashback eppy was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I know Greys Anatomy and House have now conquered the doctor drama market on TV but ER was top dog for a long time.

To be honest it still remains the top dog. Greys Anatomy is ****.

House is a detective drama.

The Clinic will end in about 3 weeks time and ER will replace it.

last series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 WENTY07

"ER" Set the standard for many other US Dramas to try and follow with its groundbreaking style,stories etc and it dominated the top spot in US Ratings for years.
    "Greys" is good but not a patch on how wonderful "er" was at its peak(even now i think "er" still better and more likeable) plus Greys has had nowhere near "er's" success worldwide and never will.I cant wait for final season to commence on RTE,the tissues will be needed methinks!

WENTY07 wrote: »
    "ER" Set the standard for many other US Dramas to try and follow with its groundbreaking style,stories etc and it dominated the top spot in US Ratings for years.
    "Greys" is good but not a patch on how wonderful "er" was at its peak(even now i think "er" still better and more likeable) plus Greys has had nowhere near "er's" success worldwide and never will.I cant wait for final season to commence on RTE,the tissues will be needed methinks!

Unfortunately the standard of many US dramas have followed CSI and Desparate Housewives.

Grey's Anatomy is ****, sorry that’s just the way it is, going from a high standard of writing to a fairly pathetic semi-comic drama proves how bad Grey's Anatomy is, Grey's Anatomy is Female drama which (Like 24, a male drama) has focused on a market causing it to be dummed down and trivial. (Neither reached the lows of ER).

Very few of the High quality dramas of the 1980s and 1990s have been recreated in the 2000s with the exception of The Wire.

The Practice, ER, Homicide, Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and many others set the standard only to be followed by poor, cheap and cheerful imitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Noah Wyle back as Dr. John Carter :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Elmo wrote: »
    Unfortunately the standard of many US dramas have followed CSI and Desparate Housewives.

Grey's Anatomy is ****, sorry that’s just the way it is, going from a high standard of writing to a fairly pathetic semi-comic drama proves how bad Grey's Anatomy is, Grey's Anatomy is Female drama which (Like 24, a male drama) has focused on a market causing it to be dummed down and trivial. (Neither reached the lows of ER).

Very few of the High quality dramas of the 1980s and 1990s have been recreated in the 2000s with the exception of The Wire.

The Practice, ER, Homicide, Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and many others set the standard only to be followed by poor, cheap and cheerful imitations.

eh, the shield, oz, dexter, breaking bad, battlestar, west wing, six feet under, sopranos are/were all excellent shows that pushed the envelope imo.

sweetie wrote: »
    eh, the shield, oz, dexter, breaking bad, battlestar, west wing, six feet under, sopranos are/were all excellent shows that pushed the envelope imo.

OZ is the 1990s (1997 - 2003)
    Dexter is overrated IMO and a the novelity wares off fairly quickly, how many times can you say the F word in a script, to be honest. The Wire gets away with it as does others.
    6 feet under and the sopranos are finished. The Sopranos and The West Wing started in 1999.

All of these shows I just forgot to mention in my previous post, none are mainsteam unlike the ones I did mention.

Of the current crop only Battlestar Galtica and Mad Men spring to mind. Some comdies have also pushed the boat out (not to use a cliche :) )

Nothing currently from the US has has really impressed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Of the current crop only Battlestar Galtica and Mad Men spring to mind. Some comdies have also pushed the boat out (not to use a cliche :) )

Big Love is very good. HBO's polygamy drama for those who haven't seen it.

iguana wrote: »
    Big Love is very good. HBO's polygamy drama for those who haven't seen it.

There are no quality mainstream dramas coming from the USA. HBO aren't mainstream, the mid to late 1990s had a raft of great TV from the USA. Even some of the stuff the cancel was better then some of the mainstream stuff at the moment.

ER new series back on RTE next Sunday the 4th of January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

woohoo can't wait and Shane West is gonna be guest starring in a few eps!:D

Just the one I'm afraid.

Just the one I'm afraid.

Ah no i've heard he's been confirmed for a few episodes - i think it's to bring closure to the whole Ray/Neela thing - they are gonna end up together obv!

Maybe he's gonna return again, I dunno, but I've seen all 10 episodes so far and he's only in the one episode towards the start of the season.

ya i know i've been keeping track of it too and i know he's only been in one so far but i've heard that he's meant to be in one or two toward the end - well that's what i've heard anyway!:D Woohoo! Love Shane West!

• Advertisement

I haven't watched ER in years. Used to watch it religiously during the Clooney-era, then it just lost its flare after that. I mean how many times have the doctors gone off doing work in Africa or somesort? I'll still never forget the episode where Carter and Lucy got stabbed.

Oh and the episode directed by Quentin Tarrintino or the one staring Ewan McGreggor (I know both names are probably spelt wrong but cant be arsed checking)

RIP Dr Greg Pratt :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aingeal gheal

Does anyone know when I can catch a repeat of the episode that was on Sunday (the first one of the new series)??

Does anyone know when I can catch a repeat of the episode that was on Sunday (the first one of the new series)??

More 4 are showing it again on Thursday at 10pm

ER's final run is being extended by three episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Thought tonight's episode was just fantastic. It was heart-wrenching to see Abbey leave after all these years. I remember when she came into it way-back-when. :(

Rineanna wrote: »
    Thought tonight's episode was just fantastic. It was heart-wrenching to see Abbey leave after all these years. I remember when she came into it way-back-when. :(

:( Me too, she was my favourite character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

We are only three episodes in to the final season and already Greg and Abby are gone - this is going to be sh**e if we keep losing characters each week until the series wraps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I was delighted to see the back of abbey last night,. I hate hate hated her. with her stupid pout and childish navel gazing.
    Absolutely delighted she's gone. i really wanted ghost dog to kill her last year !!!! I don't know whether its the character I hate or the actress but I never wanna see either again !!!!!!!!!

I just didn't care. And poor Joe (her baby), does he ever go to bed ?

greys is so annoying now with meridith being the most annoying character ever on tv. I do not care whether she gets back with derek or not........for christ's sake.......please think up a new storyline............

I'm nearing "Desperate Houswives" levels of dissapointment with it now.

rant over.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Thnx4theGum

Irishshin wrote: »
    :( Me too, she was my favourite character.

Mine too. I'm really going to miss this show when it ends. Golden Disc are selling off the ER dvd's for €12 each. I brought a couple of seasons.

Mine too. I'm really going to miss this show when it ends. Golden Disc are selling off the ER dvd's for €12 each. I brought a couple of seasons.

Nice price! Must have a look for them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was a big fan of ER when it first started, I used to be mad for Doug, then when he left, Carter, then Greene!

I have been following it since, but not always watching. I have decided to watch the last series now, so far it's been pretty good. The Pratt dying episode had me in tears!

Sources confirm to Entertainment Tonight that George Clooney will be filming scenes for an appearance on "ER" this week.

:D

\o/

Can't wait. How are they gonna incorporate him into the show, though? Jerry is the only one working there now that he knows, I think. Maybe he'll appear in whatever episode Carter will be showing up in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Been watching it for about 11 years but see all the seasons. *thankyou E4 for constant re runs from the very beginning).

It has gone downhill in the last 2 seasons without a doubt but its still enjoyable.
    Seeing some of the old faces again is great and brings back the good old days.

Top 3 favourite characters.
    Carter
    Benton
    Pratt

Worst 3
    Luck Knight
    Susan Lewis (her comeback was terrible)
    Kevin Moretti

Im sure there were worse but thats all that comes to mind at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Don't forget Nurse Chuny and Haleh! They've been it since the early days. But, yeah, besides them and Jerry, it's pretty much a new cast!

Rineanna wrote: »
    Don't forget Nurse Chuny and Haleh! They've been it since the early days. But, yeah, besides them and Jerry, it's pretty much a new cast!
    Hasn't Jerry been gone for like 3 years after that shoot out in the ER. He didn't die but I remember he left.

Meeleck is another one. And that Asian nurse Lily has been there from the start aswel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

\o/

Can't wait. How are they gonna incorporate him into the show, though? Jerry is the only one working there now that he knows, I think.

Jerry left it a year or two ago. He lives in Alaska now. Halle, Chuny and Malik are still there though and have been since the start.

Jerry was in last weeks episode(in the US). He's working at the receptionist desk again.

Ah Im a few episodes behind.

• Advertisement

:eek:

george_clooney.jpg

:eek:

:D Can't wait to see him back in the show. Also, word has it that Carter will be returning in episode 16(and staying 'til the end). The episode is titled ' The Beginning of the End'. Clooney's return will be episode 18. Seeing the two of them together again will almost be too much for me. It'll be just like old times. :D Hopefully there'll be some Basketball action.

Is Julianna Margulies aka Carol coming back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

There is talk that ER may not end when this series is over. Read that David Wells, is talking with ABC about moving the show from NBC. Be great if it happens as I have watched every show since it started. Dont think I have missed any.

From what I know, the way that Dr Greene, Doug&the rest of them are coming back is through flashbacks to explain Angela Bassets character who used to work there.

I do not agree with the argument that the series has lost its way. I was sad to see Abby gone as Maura Tierney who plays her is a very good actress and is hot.

Be good to see Carter&all them back again.

Have never watched House nor Grey's Anatomy. The latter I wouldnt want to. The reason why ER had to finish was due to Grey's very successful first series that went up against ER, which caused its ratings to dive. Its a pity cos Grey's rating are now doing terribly.

jdscrubs wrote: »
    There is talk that ER may not end when this series is over. Read that David Wells, is talking with ABC about moving the show from NBC. Be great if it happens as I have watched every show since it started. Dont think I have missed any.

I love this show, but the reason I like US shows over English ones is because they axe them after at most 12seasons. After 15 it is time for ER to bow out respectfully.

Oscar Winner Susan Sarandon is also set to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

I love this show, but the reason I like US shows over English ones is because they axe them after at most 12seasons. After 15 it is time for ER to bow out respectfully.

Elmo, would normally agree with you but I do not think that ER needs to finish up yet as I still thinks its making good shows. It has a good crew of actors, pity Maura Tierney left, and still good stories.

Sherry Stringfield is returning to ER, a source close to the deal has confirmed to TVGuide.com.
    Stringfield's participation is the latest in a slew of alums who have signed off to send off the show in its final season, a group that already includes Anthony Edwards, Julianna Margulies and George Clooney.
    Stringfield played Dr. Susan Lewis on NBC's medical drama from 1994-1996 and then returned to the show in 2001 for another four seasons. No word on how Dr. Lewis will reappear this time.

another return

Carter returns next week(in the US) :D

20 second promo vid for the episode.

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Missed tonights episode on RTE, anybody know if they repeat it during the week?

• Advertisement
Advertisement