Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people ...

Options
  • 18-11-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

... make funny faces and act out of character when buying cars? The amount of people who purse their lips and furl their brows when surveying a car is probably close to 80% of footfall. Then you get the people who act rude, and arrogant/ignorant until you build up a bit or rapport and get to know them. Just curious why people do it? Surely breaking down communication barriers is the way to get a good deal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

ned78 wrote: »
    ... make funny faces and act out of character when buying cars? The amount of people who purse their lips and furl their brows when surveying a car is probably close to 80% of footfall. Then you get the people who act rude, and arrogant/ignorant until you build up a bit or rapport and get to know them. Just curious why people do it? Surely breaking down communication barriers is the way to get a good deal?

Count yourself lucky you don't live in Italy,Where a lot of arm and hand gesticulating goes on!! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well jumping up and down shouting "this is the one, this is the one, this is the one!" wouldn't seem like the best of plans either!

(congrats on modship by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

ned78 wrote: »

It's been pointed out to me that when I'm concentrating and caught unawares that I make some weird faces - squinting, pursing lips, sticking my tongue out at the corner etc.

Maybe these people aren't trying to pull funny faces, but are concentrating on checking the car over, trying to remember all the things they've been told to look for? Are they still making faces when they turn back to talk to you?

The rude/arrogant/ignorant people will unfortunately just always be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

copacetic wrote: »
    well jumping up and down shouting "this is the one, this is the one, this is the one!" wouldn't seem like the best of plans either!

PMSL. That wouldn't be the best foot forward alright ;)
    copacetic wrote: »
    (congrats on modship by the way)

Cheers! I guess they'll let anyone mod these days :D
    Thoie wrote: »
    Are they still making faces when they turn back to talk to you?

Well, thankfully they don't talk to me as I don't sell, but normally the faces, and the strutting persist for a while from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

joeperry wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky you don't live in Italy,Where a lot of arm and hand gesticulating goes on!! :D

THEY DO WHAT TO YOUR GESTICULES?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Perhaps they are afraid that you will use some jedi mind trick to spirit the money right out of their pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

At the thought of spending money in times like this.

I know, crappy post, only reason i posted was to say congrat's lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As a sales person I get this every day only I after them to sell them stuff whereas your lucky in that they come to you. They are already in a mindset about buying a car which means they have certain expectations of a dealer/salesman.

They expect you to steal their money.
    They expect you to fight them on a discount/money off.
    They expect you to flog them a car that may have some goblins in it.
    They expect you to screw them on their trade in.

So, they act rude because they are expecting a confrontation, then after realising your not a thieving git who would be more suited to running around in a mask and a striped jumper, they relax and let you get on with your sales pitch.

But weird faces, well I dont do it( I dont think ) so I cant comment. Furrowing brow maybe because they are unsure whether to commit to a certain car.

People are odd. Im odd and so are you.

Always be closing, thats all you need to know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I know, crappy post, only reason i posted was to say congrat's lol:D

Cheers buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you not know you have to put on your best poker face when buying a car.

poker-faces.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

As a sales person I get this every day only I after them to sell them stuff whereas your lucky in that they come to you. They are already in a mindset about buying a car which means they have certain expectations of a dealer/salesman.

They expect you to steal their money.
    They expect you to fight them on a discount/money off.
    They expect you to flog them a car that may have some goblins in it.
    They expect you to screw them on their trade in.

So, they act rude because they are expecting a confrontation, then after realising your not a thieving git who would be more suited to running around in a mask and a striped jumper, they relax and let you get on with your sales pitch.

But weird faces, well I dont do it( I dont think ) so I cant comment. Furrowing brow maybe because they are unsure whether to commit to a certain car.

People are odd. Im odd and so are you.

Always be closing, thats all you need to know :D

Pretty much sums it up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

try being an IT techie and seeing the faces on a stupid fat manager on 100k a year or a fat secretary about why they can't get 'the wireless' working in some boardroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

nads wrote: »
    try being an IT techie and seeing the faces on a stupid fat manager on 100k a year or a fat secretary about why they can't get 'the wireless' working in some boardroom

And then they ask you "What was wrong?" when you fix it.

Advertisement