Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Exchange

• 18-11-2008 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Does anyone have any good french exchange programmes for me to look at?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Living languages do some great programmes if you're actually looking to seriously improve your french. I'm going for 6 weeks to a french boarding school, on my own as that's the only option allowed.

If you want to seriously improve your french and are willing for a pretty big challenge talk to living languages, if you want something like the gaeltacht don't even bother, they wont take you really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Hi I did the Living Language programme and I did a French exchange. My advice on French exchanges..Don't bother! as there is a strong temptation to speak English as your correspondent will communicate in English. Plus you do need tuition in a school environment in France to actually learn the language. Being packed away to a family simply does not do wonders for your French. Whereas with Living Language (I did Spanish) I spent 6 weeks going to school, living with a family and had a personal tutor AND I became fluent in Spanish. I'm doing both French and Spanish for the LC this year and my workload is so much easier for Spanish than French.

Whatever you choose make sure that (a) the minimum stay is about 3 weeks (MINIMAL sufficient time to pick up basic competency and fluency in the language- the longer the better) and (b) you attend french language classes whilst in France.

Feel free to PM if you need any more advice.

Bonne Chance!

Advertisement