Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Enitan Izevbekhai

Options
  • 18-11-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Pamela today lost her last hope to stay in Sligo, barring some unforseen intervention she and her two beatuiful kids will be deported. Anyone who has had the privilage of spending some time in her company will know how much of a loss to Sligo she will be and the very probable horrors her Sligo reared kids could suffer. There is a vigil at Lady Erin statue tonight at 6pm. Anyone who can go should, really I am ashamed to be Irish after this decision. Should you wish to know more; http://www.letthemstay.org/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Fair judgement IMO.
    The law is there for a reason, and it has been followed. I think that the fact a website has been set up for this is a disgrace really. Seems to me that things are getting a bit like the x factor. Whoever has the biggest sob story wins and gets to stay, next thing you know, every refugee in the country is going to have the biggest sob story you can imagine and their'll be uproar if the law decides to be objective rather than subjective.

Seriously, if someone was being sentenced to life in prison for rape and murder, would you set up a website and demand they be set free if they had a big sad story about how bad their life was and how they had no choice but to do it?

Methinks not.

Not trying to ruffle feathers here, just my opinion

Anyway, rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

If you are ashamed to be Irish why dont you meet her at the airport and head off to wherever with her... Why dont people get their priorities right and worry about our own problems instead of the problems of others.I suppose you realy care about travellers too ? You cant expect the country to have imagration laws and not stand by them..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

2qk4u wrote: »
    I suppose you realy care about travellers too ?

I'm sorry but what has that got to do with anything? I don't understand what that has to do with the topic you're posting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Bloody hell, thats a bit harsh. Its not like the lady is doing any one any harm by living here. And there seems to be genuine concerns about what will happen to her daughters when she's sent home.

I'm over in Bristol at the minute, but I'd attend the vigil if I was still in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

This is a terrible outcome. Pamela and her lovely girls have been nothing but a welcome addition to Sligo. My little girl is very sad going to bed tonight that her friend that she has gone to school with for years, has to go to a back to a country where she could be hurt, where her sister was killed. When this little girl made her communion alongside my daughter this year, we were all delighted that they were there to share such a special day.

It is terribly sad and I sincerely hope for some miracle to allow them to stay.

• Advertisement

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Seriously, if someone was being sentenced to life in prison for rape and murder, would you set up a website and demand they be set free if they had a big sad story about how bad their life was and how they had no choice but to do it?

What? What has that got to do with this? :confused:

Like the X Factor? Not quite, Big Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I hope she is allowed to stay.
    Its horrific what they do to girls in Nigeria and the poor woman already lost a daughter through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Why not let everyone who fears FGM stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

tbh, this is the first i have heard of this persons campaign

and it seems she will be allowed to stay a little longer, but no disrespect to the lady, it does sound quite like a horrfic ordeal, but unfortunatly, some of our goverment departments do have to make difficult decisions, our goverment cant afford to look after or nor does it have the resourses to look after every person that seeks asylem,

i am sure that there are many genuine people like pamela, trying to escape conflict and touture, but there are also many others just trying to get a meal ticket, its up to our authorites to view each case indivauly according to the law and to try and make the best decision without being influenced by sentiment, it sounds harsh, but for the good of everyone, unfortunatly, thats the way it has to be

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

magnumlady wrote: »
    I hope she is allowed to stay.
    Its horrific what they do to girls in Nigeria and the poor woman already lost a daughter through it.

So Irish people are now standing in moral judgement of the costume of Nigeria are they?

IMO she is a system player just like a lot - if not the majority of refugees in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

sueme wrote: »
    What? What has that got to do with this? :confused:

Like the X Factor? Not quite, Big Mac.

I used a crude analogy, but basically what irks me is that with this campaign nonsense her deportation seems to have very little to do with the laws in this country and more to do with the sob story that is being told to everyone.

If we make an exception in this case, we should abandon the laws that we hold in this country and run everything on a 'woe is me' basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

So Irish people are now standing in moral judgement of the costume of Nigeria are they?

IMO she is a system player just like a lot - if not the majority of refugees in Ireland

Just to clarify, Pamela Izevbekhai ia an asylum seeker not a refugee. (A refugee is someone who has successfully being granted asylum). As an asylum seeker she is entitled to the full 19.60 euro per week plus 9 euro per child.
    This hardly makes her a system player does it?
    Dont know her myself but anyone ive heard who actually knows her (including some on this thread) feels she is very genuine and thats good enough for me.
    I hope the intervention of the European Court of Human Rights will force a reversal of the deportation decision.

If your going to make sweeping derogatory generalisations about refugees it might be a good idea to actually find out what a refugee is. Heres a good place to start.

Pamelas little girl is back in school at the moment, all the kids are thrilled, most of them have lots of questions as to why they were on the news etc. Its hard to explain it to them. Everytime there is a court case they have to pack up everything they own, say goodbye to all their friends and be ready to leave the country immediately. This is going on for years, I really don't know how Pamela does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pinder

laws are there for a reason,whats the point of having immigration laws if when theyr broken people just say 'let her stay'.why are the laws there if this is going to happen?i wasnt racist there t runner,was i?????im sure youll try something else to silence people who are willing to speak their mind about this.nobodies allowed to say anything.WHY ARE THE LAWS THERE IF WE ARE NOT GOING TO STICK TO THEM???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

its about bloody time she got sent home. Who gives two s$ts if she was sound. Thats no reason to get away with entering a country illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

dont know the woman
    dont know her case

Dont like Kevin Myers; but he wrote ths piece which makes a lot of sence
    (he thinks she should probably be allowed to stay btw)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/our-western-values-are-not-just-a-black-and-white-issue-1326485.html

Seeing as little boys are being illegally circumcised in this country AND the person(s) are getting away with it, the precedent is set in Irish law so she probably had/has to go:(

And no i dont believe Myers thinks she should stay bit either

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This woman went thru an exhaustive legal process paid for by the State and she was found to NOT be eligible to stay. What is so hard to understand about this. She had her day in court and the law decided her fate after hearing all sides. The only winners here are the GREEDY lawyers who are making a mint out of these asylum cases. An absolute MINT.

If some folks had their way, every Tom, Dick and Harry would be allowed stay; without even considering how they would be cared for or the cost and burden to the State. You know why? Because these folks pushing and pushing
    and blocking any decsion etc, probably don't have to pay a cent to keep
    asylum seekers here

Whether one likes it or NOT, the whole process of asylum is a business and folks are making a fortune from it!

BTW, isn't she awaiting a European ruling? And how quick Europe are to act.
    I bet if this was some other issue, you would be waiting years for a court date!

If this is overruled, it sets a real dangerous precedent for future cases and the country
    will be overflowing with any OLD case!

This is probably one for the politics thread. But there has been a few attacks on this Sligo family in this thread and its only right that they are defended here.

walshb wrote: »
    This woman went thru an exhaustive legal process paid for by the State and she was found to NOT be eligible to stay. .
    Only 19 out of 1500 Nigerian Asylum have been found eligible for refugee status an unbelievable low ratioo. The reason is thats Nigeria has signed up to human rights treaties, anti-violence against women protocols etc. giving European governments the excuse to say "Nigeria has adequate protections against torture..."
    The only effort Nigerian authorities have used in enforcing these "protections" is in signing these documents to get them off the hook. They have done nothing to change things on the ground.

So when people like The Izevbekhai's come along and say "protect us from Female Genital Mutilation, Weve lost a sister and daughter to torture, it will be the same if were forced back". The Refugee Commisioners say: "youre wrong, look at the protocols they have signed. Nigeria has adequate protections against..."
    Acording to the law it could be looked on as correct but in truth it is false.
    The legal process doesnt always do justice. You have a right to fight hard especially as youd expect when the lives of your children are involved.

If some folks had their way, every Tom, Dick and Harry would be allowed stay; without even considering how they would be cared for or the cost and burden to the State.

The break through similar case in the UK in FGM was in 2006 when an 18 year old girl called Hornat from Somalia. She was given refugee status. Since then the UK has had only 3 appeals for asylum for FGM one granted one turned down one still being looked at. So no more scaremongering about flood gates opening if The Izevbekhai's get justice, please.
    You know why? Because these folks pushing and pushing
    and blocking any decsion etc, probably don't have to pay a cent to keep
    asylum seekers here
    This is ridiculous. Everyone who pays taxes is contributing towards Asylum Seekers getting the chance of refugee status. I will be a proud contributor should my few cents keep these girls from harm.
    BTW, isn't she awaiting a European ruling? And how quick Europe are to act.
    I bet if this was some other issue, you would be waiting years for a court date!

The European Court of Human Rights have to intervene before a deportation. No point otherwise.
    If this is overruled, it sets a real dangerous precedent for future cases and the country
    will be overflowing with any OLD case!
    Didnt set a dangerous precedent in the UK. Only 3 cases since 2006, only 1 accepted
    pinder wrote: »
    laws are there for a reason,whats the point of having immigration laws if when theyr broken people just say 'let her stay'.why are the laws there if this is going to happen?i wasnt racist there t runner,was i?????im sure youll try something else to silence people who are willing to speak their mind about this.nobodies allowed to say anything.WHY ARE THE LAWS THERE IF WE ARE NOT GOING TO STICK TO THEM???????
    The Law is not always enforced correctly and I dont believe I have called anyone a racist on this thread as you have implied.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    its about bloody time she got sent home. Who gives two s$ts if she was sound. Thats no reason to get away with entering a country illegally.

Did she enter the country illegally???????? Where did you get this from? The courts didnt have a problem with how she entered the country. An asylum seeker must apply for asylum at the first immigration port and she did this.
    She is being turned down for asylum because even though her daughter died as a result of FGM the Refugee Commisioner decided there was no longer any danger. In my opinion this decision had no basis in fact and was only taken because Nigeria has made a load of empty promises by signing protocols they have no intention of acting on. So for someone like Pamela to suceed she must prove that the Nigerian government is full of s***. An impossible thing to do especially when the refugee commisioners dont want you to prove it.
    There is a full thread on the politics forum about this case HERE with over 650 posts

I know people have genuine concerns about some asylum seekers who are here due only to poverty.

Hopefully Ive answered doubts above about the Izevbekhai's genuineness.
    This family have lived in Sligo for some time now and we should support our own. This case is about whether two little Sligo girls should be subjected to torture or not. Lets show compassion and support them.

elshambo wrote: »
    dont know the woman
    dont know her case

Dont like Kevin Myers; but he wrote ths piece which makes a lot of sence
    (he thinks she should probably be allowed to stay btw)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/our-western-values-are-not-just-a-black-and-white-issue-1326485.html

Seeing as little boys are being illegally circumcised in this country AND the person(s) are getting away with it, the precedent is set in Irish law so she probably had/has to go:(

And no i dont believe Myers thinks she should stay bit either

A few quotes and facts about Kevin Myers:

n July 2008, Myers wrote an article arguing that providing aid to Africa only results in increasing its population. As aresult the Immigrant Council of Ireland made an official complaint to the Garda Síochána alleging incitement to hatred

"How many girls - and we’re largely talking about teenagers here - consciously embark upon a career of mothering bastards because it seems a good way of getting money and accommodation from the State?" Kevin Myers, Irishmans Diary Irish Times.

"....and why the term "bitchiness" accurately describes how women often behave towards one other __ in precisely the same way that female dogs do: they are riven and driven by social insecurity."
    An article by Kevin Myers about females on "the apprentice" on British TV.

You get the picture?

To put it mildly, females and Africans are not on this guys favourites list.

In this article he tries to compare this unfortunate young boys case with that of the Izenbayai girls.
    They are not like for like and he knows it.
    This boy died as a result of a botched male circumcission which resulted in his genitals being mutilated.
    Every single female circumcission results in genital mutilation.
    The first case was for manslaughter I guess. The second was an Asylum case. Myers knows this.

Myers also casts doubt on whether Elizabeth Izenbayai really died of FGM forteen years ago. The Irish courts have absolutely no doubts about this. Myers also knows this.

Myers blames "mothers" for FGM in Africa. Yet he would surely also know that FGM is internationaly accepted as a form of male violence / torture against women.

He casts doubt on the Izenbayais:
    "What if a baseless threat of circumcision is being falsely used to enable the Izevbekhais to stay?

And even if it's not, are we to be the refuge for every single Nigerian or Somalia or Chadean or Kuwaiti woman who wants to avoid genital mutilation?"

No where in his article has he shown that the threat of circumcission to the Izevbekhais is "baseless". The Irish courts have accepted that Pamela Izevbekhai genuinely believes the threat to be real. Again Myers knows this.

As for the Floodgates threat of "every single Nigerian or Somalia or Chadean or Kuwaiti woman who wants to avoid genital mutilation", surely a prominent report who does his research would know of the precedent in the UK (1 case in 3 years). Again you would imagine he would know this. The only thing "baseless" are Kevin Myers' nutter arguments.

And who does he blame?

Nigerian Mothers for FGM
    Pamela Izevbekhai for being dodgy: Did her daughter really die from FGM? etc
    Immigrants for male circumcission and threatening to overrun the country.
    And females groups.

No surprises there I guess,
    females and Africans.

Violence against women isnt confined to Africa BTW.

Just to show the worth of Sligo female groups against violence to women.

The Domestic Violence Advocacy Service for Sligo, Leitrim and West Cavan is taking part in this year's 16 Days International Campaign against violence towards women. http://ireland16days.blogspot.com/search/label/Sligo

Their campaign this year is 'Help Her to Tell'.

i hope she gets kicked outta a the country and id hazard a guess the majority of the country feel the same.were sick of these asylum seekers and their endless bogus claims.no wonder nobody believes her.few crocodile tears and people like you,the people systematically trying to ruin this country by trying to let anyone who wants in, stupidly believe what shes saying.and you know what i mean about the racism thing,its the reason theres one less person in the politics forum that can disagree with your idiotic ways,ill be back in a month dont worry

• Advertisement

and how do you know nigeria has done nothing,who are you to say that.are you nigerian actually?i wouldnt be surprised

and how do you know nigeria has done nothing,who are you to say that.are you nigerian actually?i wouldnt be surprised

Tone down your attitude. Seriously.

i havent said anythin racist,anything of offense.im sorry but its quite obvious whats going on here.i was silenced once already for speaking my mind on this.not going to let it happen,im finished,let t runner say whatever,shut up anyone who calls into question their idiotic ideas.opinions only allowed as long as yee agree with it

i havent said anythin racist,anything of offense.im sorry but its quite obvious whats going on here.i was silenced once already for speaking my mind on this.not going to let it happen,im finished,let t runner say whatever,shut up anyone who calls into question their idiotic ideas.opinions only allowed as long as yee agree with it

I personally don't have an opinion and have not been involved in any discussion on this topic. T Runner posted his opinions, backing them up with links and asked questions.

You on the other hand decided ranting was the right way to go about expressing your opinion. You do not speak for the irish nation. People are entitled to disagree with you.

If you would like to discuss this you're welcome to but I suggest you do so in a mature and calm manner rather than ranting. I'm not interested in how/why you've been silenced anywhere else either. You haven't been silenced here. I'm telling you to tone down your attitude. Perhaps reading the forum charter would be a good idea also.

Also, T Runner has nothing to do with the reason I've commented in this thread. He/she hasn't shut anyone up and calling his/her ideas idiotic isn't on. You seem to have a problem with him/her but I suggest you take that to PM.

i even saw a polish guy on tv saying there were too many immigrants here,horses mouth.when the poles are finding it hard to get work you know we have problems.then again,at least they work

you deleted my message,this is like east germany before the wall came down

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

you deleted my message,this is like east germany before the wall came down

They had forums back in those days? :O

Pinder banned. Sully, take yourself out of my forum you trouble-maker! :D

This can get back on topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Wow, missed all that, good moderation!

So people, Pamela will be back in Sligo for the Christmas:D:D
    Spread a bit of Christmas smile if you see her about, it means a lot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

She has cost the irish taxpayer millions , time to dport her and her children back to where they came from, hopefully she will be deported by the end of january:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement