Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop suggestions?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

My PC is a 4 year old Dell 4700 (3.0GHz, 800FSB, 1MB cache), only changes are 3 meg RAM, and a 7600GT.

I never really go beyond 1024x768 anyway, so it runs most games fine, even Crysis, albeit on low settings. Bit juddery on Fallout 3 at higher settings.

Looking to buy a laptop, which, in theory, will mainly be used to do a bit of web development with Visual Studio.

But if it's possible without spending a fortune, I'd like something that might play games at something close to my current PC specs.

Max budget 800-900.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_5930G_Laptop_LX.AQ40X.040/version.asp

Beast of a laptop for under 700 euro. Most other manufacturers would have inferior GPU's in the same/slightly higher price ranges. In terms of gaming, will blow your current machine out of the water.

edit: did I sell you that 7600GT? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

beware laptopsdirect - apparently they have a terrible customer service reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_5930G_Laptop_LX.AQ40X.040/version.asp

Beast of a laptop for under 700 euro. Most other manufacturers would have inferior GPU's in the same/slightly higher price ranges. In terms of gaming, will blow your current machine out of the water.

edit: did I sell you that 7600GT? :)

You did indeed. In fact, I couldn't remember yesterday what I have, had to back to your ad on adverts to check it :)
    daftdave wrote: »
    beware laptopsdirect - apparently they have a terrible customer service reputation.

Cheers, I'll check them out before I buy from them.

Bah! Actually had it in my basket earlier, went looking for a mouse to go with it. PC crashed and had to reboot, and now it's sold out.

There's another version, but it's only a T5800, and a 9300GS card.
    Grr.

Can't seem to find this model anywhere else. Or indeed, much info about it.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How is this laptop at so low a price compared to others?Is there something wrong with it somewhere?

• Advertisement

That Acer is back in stock now, if anyone's interested in it.

(They did phone me before they shipped it trying to persuade me to buy their AV software and pay for a a "pre-shipping inspection" check, in case you get a call from an odd looking number)

Thanks for the tip, Terror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

that is a bit of a beast of a laptop for that price :eek:

Flipping heck. I sincerely hope I don't have to deal with any customer service issues, but I can't fault laptops direct on their delivery.

Ordered online 10pm Sunday night, at 2pm yesterday got that sales call trying to sell me extra stuff before it shipped, a text at 3pm saying it had shipped, and it arrived here at work 10 minutes ago.

Just in case anyone else is thinking about this laptop, ran 3DMark on it over the weekend.
    3DMark06 scored 5505, 3DMark05 scored 10286 (both on the standard test you get with the free version). Bit higher than I was expecting (it also helped when I eventually copped on that the power setting were only running the CPU at half speed, hence my original scores being only half these :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Very respectable score for a laptop, I was only able to barely top 4k, a whole 1.5k less, on an 8600M-GT (DDR2 and overclocked, so roughly similar to the XPS's DDR3 8600GT), which is still considered a decent mobile card - if that puts it in perspective for anyone else!

• Advertisement
Advertisement