Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding a PS3

Options
  • 18-11-2008 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

well im buying a ps3 and a further 250 gb hard drive. how hard is it to mod compared to the xbox 360 and is there anyone in cork who can do it for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ive never heard of a successful ps3 mod
    security is too tight, constant firmware updates, hypervisor,
    not to mention you'd need a blu ray burner
    it's 100% stacked against you

ive a modded wii and psp, i wouldnt dream tamper with my ps3, even if it were possible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

PS3 mods are snake-oil, PS3 is hack-free and will remain IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thats a pretty big claim onagrite, I'm sure it will eventually happen( but i wont be holding my breath). Seeing as Sony reckoned it would be around for 7 years it still has 5 and a bit left to be cracked

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Replacing the HDD is so easy & warranted, it's listed in the service manual ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭irishglass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ben2k7

i had a look at that does'nt seem to give much information but is there any chance of ps3s playing backup games in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yawn. Yet another Youtube video claiming to have an ISO loader. Yet another faker trying to string people along. The article is from September anyway.

If there were going to be a PS3 hack I'm sure we would have heard something from C4EVA or Dark_AleX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

It will be hacked in the the end, everything does eventually. At the moment its not cost effective anyway, unless the hack involves booting the iso from a HDD. Blue ray blank discs are too expensive and only burn at x 2 speed. 25-50gig discs would take forever to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ROC1977 wrote: »
    It will be hacked in the the end, everything does eventually. At the moment its not cost effective anyway, unless the hack involves booting the iso from a HDD. Blue ray blank discs are too expensive and only burn at x 2 speed. 25-50gig discs would take forever to burn.
    look at sky tv. they've been using the same encryption for years and nobody has ever beaten it (unlike ntl).

i wouldn't bet my life that someone will hack the ps3. just because nobody has ever outwitted console hackers on any other console, doesn't mean that sony won't manage it this time.

Sony have made a good move with the ps3, they allow you to run homebrew, linux ect on the ps3.

This means that the real hackers ie: ones that like to run different apps on the console now have no need to hack the thing to bits as what the want is already possible.

The people who want to hack it for piracy circumstances ie; Free games do not have the talent/skills to do such a task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

cisk wrote: »
    Sony have made a good move with the ps3, they allow you to run homebrew, linux ect on the ps3.
    While restricting acess to the full potential of the machine so users cant run proper games or HD video on it (linux). What are the restrictions again? Memory, CPU cores and GPU(?)

it restricts acess to the SPU's to only the XMB so you can't get the full power out of it unless you're running stuff directly from the XMB side. even the Yellow Dog Linux distro that was written specifically for the PS3 is severely crippled in this way.

there's been some proof of concept work done with the usual hello world and pong demo's appearing but afaik nobody has got much further tha that yet, although who knows what might be just round the corner.

it's strange tho, i didn't think twice about modding my xbox for xbmc and i'm going to get my wii modded very shortly, but just thinking about it now i don't honestly think i'd do it with the ps3 and i honestly couldn't tell you definitively why that is. that's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's strange tho, i didn't think twice about modding my xbox for xbmc and i'm going to get my wii modded very shortly, but just thinking about it now i don't honestly think i'd do it with the ps3 and i honestly couldn't tell you definitively why that is. that's weird.

While I don't have XBox or Wii, I do have my PSP's and DS modded. However, like yourself, I don't think I'd mod my PS3 [other than increase the HDD]. Like yourself, I'm not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

IrishTLR wrote: »
    While I don't have XBox or Wii, I do have my PSP's and DS modded. However, like yourself, I don't think I'd mod my PS3 [other than increase the HDD]. Like yourself, I'm not sure why.

maybe because the price of it and the fact there is no real need to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I dunno, if there was a mod to unrestrict the "hypervisor" in linux to play trackmania on me playstation with the WINE emulator... The one game they should have released for the Ps3.

gline wrote: »
    maybe because the price of it and the fact there is no real need to ;)

there's not a huge difference between the price I paid for my wii and the price I could buy a new PS3 for now, so I don't think that's a valid point.

I have over a dozen games for my ps3 (maybe as many as 15 or more, but I've not counted in a while) and half a dozen blu-ray movies so if i could mod my ps3 and download games instead of buying them i'd have saved a fortune, even with the cost of a BD writer and blanks.

there's not a huge difference between the price I paid for my wii and the price I could buy a new PS3 for now, so I don't think that's a valid point.

I have over a dozen games for my ps3 (maybe as many as 15 or more, but I've not counted in a while) and half a dozen blu-ray movies so if i could mod my ps3 and download games instead of buying them i'd have saved a fortune, even with the cost of a BD writer and blanks.

then why wouldnt you not want to mod?

gline wrote: »
    then why wouldnt you not want to mod?
    honestly I don't know.

on the flipside, someone was telling me yesterday that there IS a modchip for the ps3 and after a little digging it turns out that they're actually right, BUT that it's largely useless at the moment from what I can see.

a group called infectus have made a 'universal' modchip that's supposed to work with any console, but as of yet, the ps3 support is limited to backing up and restoring the firmware so you can't actually do anything practical with it (i.e. the real reason people mod their consoles in the first place).

they've been promising full support for the ps3 for quite awhile, but it looks like they've been having a few problems getting past the ps3's security. :)

honestly I don't know.

on the flipside, someone was telling me yesterday that there IS a modchip for the ps3 and after a little digging it turns out that they're actually right, BUT that it's largely useless at the moment from what I can see.

a group called infectus have made a 'universal' modchip that's supposed to work with any console, but as of yet, the ps3 support is limited to backing up and restoring the firmware so you can't actually do anything practical with it (i.e. the real reason people mod their consoles in the first place).

they've been promising full support for the ps3 for quite awhile, but it looks like they've been having a few problems getting past the ps3's security. :)

yeh thats been out for a loooong time, it is relativly useless at the moment

unless you REALLY like backing up and restoring firmware and then only your own, as you can't even swap identical firmwares between ps3's as they are still encrypted. (apparently).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭irishglass

mod edit: no discussing backups please.

Advertisement