Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future in Forestry

Options
  • 18-11-2008 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello, I'm studying Forestry Management at the moment in UCD and I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight into the prospect for the future in Forestry?

I know that money shouldn't be so important but that's a big part in what I want to know.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Ok, im sorry for your troubles Dhaga.

I got my degree 9 years ago and I have been working primarily in the establishment area. Needless to say this is the biggest employer in the industry with companies like Green Belt and SWS being the biggest employers. Coillte ran a recruitment drive about a year ago and they took on a good number of foresters, graduates and experienced managers.

Coillte is a good employer but it is not for everyone's taste because even though it is semi-state, it still has a big civil servant mentality, if you know what i mean.
    The private companies do hire graduates but it if preferable if they have some experience. They work the hell out of you and you are expected to hit planting targets every year and the industry is quite cut throat.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to do a masters in renewable energy or wood fuel technology. This is an emerging industry and it seems to be the way things are moving. Either that or focus on forest ecology/sustainable land use management to ensure you are ahead of the posse of graduates that come from the UK and Irish colleges every year.

PM me if you have any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dhaga

'I'm sorry for your troubles'

That doesn't sound good, ha. Thanks for the reply Caoimhín, its always good to get insight into an industry you might be entering. The Masters sounds interesting but I just have to wait and see how everything goes.

Advertisement