Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Joyce Awards: Please take one

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

mac123 wrote: »
    I think so...
    Well thats the great thing out this thread, we get to see what everyone likes and thinks.:)

Personally as far as girls go, I take a bigger interest than most in football(blame my boyf) and I am one of those people who also LOVES Scrubs.
    But in all seriousness, a man from Ireland, succeeding to get onto the Arsenal team, Man City team, the Sunderland team and not to mention, help Ireland get to the World Cup, then to become chairman of Sunderland, is less deserving of an historic and literary award than a man who starred as a minor (though hilarious) character on a tv show that admittedly is more world renown but less likely to be remembered in 10 years time. I'm sorry but I disagree.

This award is being cheapened by alot minor celebs, we should have a second type of award to get them here (make them think that that one is prestigeous) and leave the Jame Joyce to the likes of Niall Quinn and Seamus Heaney! That way we still entice these people to campus but not cheapen the award.

Oh and my boyfriend wants to know if Katie Price coming to campus and is begging that she is not honestly recieving the Jame Joyce!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I did check up on him. I couldn't find anything of real note beyond that movie. I don't see many people acclaiming his excellence.
    Well, skip that one, and go and see Aaron Eckhart, this coming Friday (5:30 I think). He's done a few things you may have heard of, and it would be rather two-faced of you to miss him. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Eckhart isn't this Friday it's the Friday after next (December 5th).

Anyone know what time the L&H stand is opening tomorrow for tickets to that actually? I'm assuming it's either 10 or 11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

bnt wrote: »
    Well, skip that one, and go and see Aaron Eckhart, this coming Friday (5:30 I think). He's done a few things you may have heard of, and it would be rather two-faced of you to miss him. ;)

Thank you for posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Terrible lads, just terrible.:P I never go to these things but I could be compelled to see Aaron Eckhart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

A couple of people in the first page explained the award but it seems many haven't bothered reading back that far!

Anyone here who thinks the recipients are meant to be comparable to James Joyce needs their head checked! It's called the James Joyce award, not the "we think you're as good as James Joyce thing".

Our library is called the James Joyce library - it's just a title because he studied at UCD! If someone is awarded a doctorate from the NUI or whatever, like (dr.) Gerald Keane for example, it doesn't mean they're instantly the equivalent of a doctor in whatever field having been awarded the honour, just that they have a piece of parchment and a bit of a occasion to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Well thats the great thing out this thread, we get to see what everyone likes and thinks.:)

Personally as far as girls go, I take a bigger interest than most in football(blame my boyf) and I am one of those people who also LOVES Scrubs.
    But in all seriousness, a man from Ireland, succeeding to get onto the Arsenal team, Man City team, the Sunderland team and not to mention, help Ireland get to the World Cup, then to become chairman of Sunderland, is less deserving of an historic and literary award than a man who starred as a minor (though hilarious) character on a tv show that admittedly is more world renown but less likely to be remembered in 10 years time. I'm sorry but I disagree.

This award is being cheapened by alot minor celebs, we should have a second type of award to get them here (make them think that that one is prestigeous) and leave the Jame Joyce to the likes of Niall Quinn and Seamus Heaney! That way we still entice these people to campus but not cheapen the award.

Oh and my boyfriend wants to know if Katie Price coming to campus and is begging that she is not honestly recieving the Jame Joyce!

Lets not forget his stint at managing sunderland also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Lets not forget his stint at managing sunderland also!

Ssshhh, best off not mentioning that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Tom65 wrote: »
    Ssshhh, best off not mentioning that.
    :D:) Better than anything I've ever achieved, the most I've managed is to organise folders for my differend modules on my laptop!

Even if he wasn't a great manager it's more than what I have achieved and having listened to him in 2 weeks ago I got to say I like the man, he was funny and down to earth. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Brimmy wrote: »
    Eckhart isn't this Friday it's the Friday after next (December 5th).
    Damn - so it is. Sorry 'bout that, I was caught out by seeing it advertised this far in advance. I suppose the need for tickets means it will be a zoo, then.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

So nobody knows what time to get tickets at then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

People have to be careful about overhyping such things.

The L&H doesnt carry the prestige it once did (save for the auditors position).During my time, i recall popping in on some L&H debates which were attended by the committee (which by the admission of its head honchos is never able to be 100% in attendance at any event), and three or four members of the general student populace. I also recall one or two of these "award ceremonies" with rows of vacant seats.

It simply puts it in perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Anyone get Eckhart tickets then?

bigslick wrote: »
    Anyone get Eckhart tickets then?

No but I emailed them, they didn't sell out so said just show up on the day with your card and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Heath Ledger said he would rather die than receive a JJ award. So for those of you who doubt the seriousness of 'celebrities' receving an award that should stifle you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 heofro

The James Joyce Award only started in my second year here, before that they used give Honorary Vice Presidencies or Honorary Life Memberships.

Eh.. not quite.
    Honorary Life Memberships are given out by LawSoc. Honorary Vice Presidencies are awards only given to Lawyers, Judges or Legal Academics by LawSoc.

Advertisement