Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiped a year from school, want to go to college

Options
  • 18-11-2008 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I didnt know where to put this so i put it here..

Well i had planned to go straight in to college when i left school this year but it didnt happen that way and now the way the country is looking i want to go even more.

Im just wondering is it the same thing you fill out the form of what college courses you want on your form and then wait to see if you get any of them?

Also how do you know what course to pick? I wanted to do engineering but i dont think i will now. I think i would like to do something with computers or games making or something like that. So do i have to just research each college and what courses they have? And how do you know you would ge ta job after your 3-4 years in college. Its all a mystery to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Check here. www.cao.ie
    I believe there is a section on the CAO form asking if you have done the LC before. You fill in your CAO number from then.

www.qualifax.ie
    Check Qualifax for course outlines. Many give some ideas of careers in the future.

I know UL does a Gaming Software course (or something like it) so check out their forum.

CW208 Computer Games Development Institute of Technology Carlow Level 8 NFQ 300
    LY707 Computer Games Development Letterkenny IT Level 7 NFQ 115
    NC013 Computers - Area Based Partnership Applicants National College of Ireland Level 8 NFQ 285
    NC003 Computing National College of Ireland Level 8 NFQ 250
    TI018 Computing - Games Design & Development at Thurles Tipperary Institute Level 8 NFQ 210
    SG131 Computing - Games Development Institute of Technology Sligo Level 7 NFQ
    DK820 Computing in Games Development Dundalk IT Level 8 NFQ 280
    TL330 Computing with Games Development Institute of Technology Tralee Level 8 NFQ 290
    TL325 Computing with Games Development Institute of Technology Tralee Level 7 NFQ 220
    CR112 Multimedia Cork Institute of Technology Level 8 NFQ 375
    LM110 Multimedia & Computer Games Development University of Limerick Level 8 NFQ 330
    DT228 Science - Computer Dublin Institute of Technology Level 8 NFQ 230
    AL032 Software Design - Games Development Athlone Institute of Technology Level 8 NFQ

"Edu > UL"
    or go
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=500

I didnt know where to put this so i put it here..

Well i had planned to go straight in to college when i left school this year but it didnt happen that way and now the way the country is looking i want to go even more.

Im just wondering is it the same thing you fill out the form of what college courses you want on your form and then wait to see if you get any of them?

Also how do you know what course to pick? I wanted to do engineering but i dont think i will now. I think i would like to do something with computers or games making or something like that. So do i have to just research each college and what courses they have? And how do you know you would ge ta job after your 3-4 years in college. Its all a mystery to me.

All you do is apply to the CAO as you usually would, then there is a box you tick and you input when you did your leaving cert last, then just put in whatever your CAO number was when you sat your leaving.

Basically, just pick whatever you would like to do. You have to fulfill all of the matriculation requirements for the college and course you wish to do. (i.e. for engineering you usually need honours maths, for other courses you may need chemistry etc.). So as long as you have enough points and meet the requirements you can choose whatever you want. Just research each course and college yourself, ask around, even ask on boards and I'm sure you'll get answers to your questions.

And when it comes to getting a job 3/4 years away, theres no way of knowing. But you certainly will have a much much higher chance of getting a job with than without a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Black_Venom

Im kinda ashamed to say that i didnt do Excellent in my leaving but i did alot better than i though and i didnt fail ol maths :D haha im proud of that i think there was like 3 in my class that passed which is bad but meh...

Thanks alot for the info up there :) The Dublin it one caught my eye im just looking up that one..
    I would have loved to have done the one in carlow that microsoft backs..but i think that em there are like 3 or 4 courses there that have a comman year and you can switch after the first year. I got an offer for sofware development in carlow that i was delighted with but i didnt take it..but i think that had the same common first year with an option to transfer to it but i must check it out..

Advertisement