Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another driving question

Options
  • 18-11-2008 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

A few days ago i was giving my brother a lift. I needed to turn right from the main road into the minor road. The entrance i was turning into looked tight so i stopped and took the turn in 1st gear, even though my way was clear. My brother was saying i should not have stopped. He would have been more familiar with the road i was turning into than me.

My question is if i was to do this in a test would i be penalized.

Also i fogot to mention that it was dark outside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's hard to know, But there was probably no need to stop if there was no other traffic, yes take it slowly if you're unsure, but coming to a complete stop seems unnecessary. I'd hazard a guess and say a fault for progress could have been marked. But, it's hard to say for sure.

EDIT: Was the reason you stopped because visibility onto the minor road was limited? Or was it because you thought it was just tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A small bit confused about the question but in general
    If you're not sure about the turn, take your time, stop to further observe the situation if you feel you have to, making sure you indicate your intentions clearly. This, I would have thought was common sense.

This situation wouldnt occur in a test situation (darkness).
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

Thanks. I better go out and do more driving so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

darlingx - on a test route, it would be highly unusual for one to have to select 1st gear to make a right turn (obviously presuming there is nothing to yield to).

kippy wrote: »
    This situation wouldnt occur in a test situation (darkness).
    Kippy
    Do they stop testing in Galway when it gets dark? Bear in mind that it gets dark in Dublin about 30/40 minutes before it gets dark in the west.

(I did the articulated truck test in Dublin in darkness on a miserable wet Friday evening at around 5pm.)

• Advertisement

I had select 1st gear because i stopped. But if i didnt stop i would have been doing the turn in 2nd gear.

My test will be at 1pm so it will be bright out.

darling.x wrote: »
    I had select 1st gear because i stopped.
    You had no option then but to select 1st. The real question is whether you should have stopped or not.

You had no option then but to select 1st. The real question is whether you should have stopped or not.

I'd say if i didnt stop more than likely i would have drove my car into the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

darling.x wrote: »
    I'd say if i didnt stop more than likely i would have drove my car into the wall.

That's a whole new kettle of fish!

Did your brother not tell you in good time about the turn?

darlingx - on a test route, it would be highly unusual for one to have to select 1st gear to make a right turn (obviously presuming there is nothing to yield to).

Do they stop testing in Galway when it gets dark? Bear in mind that it gets dark in Dublin about 30/40 minutes before it gets dark in the west.

(I did the articulated truck test in Dublin in darkness on a miserable wet Friday evening at around 5pm.)

Im not entirely sure but I WAS under the impression based on that of myself and countless others I know who have done their test, that the tester can cancel the test if it is below a certain level of light. I'm not 100% on that and cant find anything to confirm or deny my assumption.
    Then you did the correct thing in stopping and analysing the situation. In general when doing the test the idea is to do it in a safe manner (not just when doing your test but in all instances) Many people, your brother included, would probably have carried on without stopping, but in your case you werent comfortable doing that so it was better to stop.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Im not entirely sure but I WAS under the impression based on that of myself and countless others I know who have done their test, that the tester can cancel the test if it is below a certain level of light. I'm not 100% on that and cant find anything to confirm or deny my assumption
    The examiner can cancel the test in adverse weather condidtions if safety is compromised (snow, frost, flooding) but I doubt very much if they can do so because of light levels. It may have changed in recent years though.

Any instructors/examiners wish to comment?

darling.x - in a test, the examiner must give you the instruction to turn in good time. He/she cannot surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

The examiner can cancel the test in adverse weather condidtions if safety is compromised (snow, frost, flooding) but I doubt very much if they can do so because of light levels. It may have changed in recent years though.

Any instructors/examiners wish to comment?
    i got my first car test cancelled because it was snowin

Advertisement