Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I normal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

LolaDub wrote: »
    Whenever i meet a new guy i always wonder is he normal, when it becomes apparent that he isn't i freak out that i'm not normal and i have all the bad relationship karma in the galaxy and i'm really a giant weirdo magnet! Normal men where are you!!!:D

oh I'm your sister here.....least now I know it happens to others too :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ginny wrote: »
    well every so often a commuter will lean on me and at some stage I'll cop they're breathing at the same rate as me, and it freaks the hell out of me, no idea why.

Jeez I must be tired, I read commuter as computer, and was wondering what sort of computer leaned on people and breathed :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Will wrote: »
    Nobody knows this (except people who've seen me pass out on buses :pac: )

When I wear ear phones in confined spaces (e.g buses) I think I'm breathing too loud and annoying people. Since I cant hear myself cos im listening to music i try and breath less loud as it were, thus breathing in shorter breaths. This is a vicious circle folks. Basically I end up not breathing and well passing out haha :pac:

too add a bit more to my funny story, when I'm on a bus now I leave one ear phone out so i can hear myself breathe, thus monitoring my breathing levels and not passing out. Win win for everyone.

and yes im far from normal but oh well :)

haha i used to think that too

then i realised it was the crap blaring out of my ears that was annoying them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Nah me being the caring soul that I am, have the sound at a level no one else can hear. They're also the nifty noise cancelling ones so no music leaks out onto unsuspecting commuters.

Also have my own spot on the bus I like to sit in, right behind the stairs on top deck since there's more leg room :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i'd hate to be called normal lol,its a put down imo like average you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Will wrote: »
    Nobody knows this (except people who've seen me pass out on buses :pac: )

When I wear ear phones in confined spaces (e.g buses) I think I'm breathing too loud and annoying people. Since I cant hear myself cos im listening to music i try and breath less loud as it were, thus breathing in shorter breaths. This is a vicious circle folks. Basically I end up not breathing and well passing out haha :pac:

too add a bit more to my funny story, when I'm on a bus now I leave one ear phone out so i can hear myself breathe, thus monitoring my breathing levels and not passing out. Win win for everyone.

and yes im far from normal but oh well :)

I do that too, especially if I had to hurry for the bus, I just know that my breathing is loud and try to hold it in!

I also have conversations in my head, there's constantly dialogue going on in there, like scripting for conversations I hope to have, but don't.

I also sometimes imagine what peoples reactions would be like if I did something completely unexpected and out of character. Like, if I'm in a friends house, I wonder how they'd react if I suddenly punched their ma out of the blue . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

*eyes up can of worms, sighs, and puts it back in the cupboard, best left alone until it's past its sell-by-date*

Ginny wrote: »
    There's certain Ads I can't watch on TV, the old Lucozade ones with the people wearing the bears heads, the Coca Cola noises ad. The new Xbox Half head Ads and the new Lips game Ad, I have no idea why I can't watch them, they just jar with me and freak me out.
    Its quite strange.

Ohh that Teddy ad used to do that to me too.
    I think it is because it evokes memorys of the kind of nightmares I had when I was little.
    Bellys gonna getya ad used to do it too.

The rest of you scare me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

My mother was a witch, she was burned alive
    Thankless little bitch, for the tears I cried
    Take her down now, don't wanna see her face
    Blistered and burnt, can't hide my disgrace
    27 every one was nice, gotta see them,
    Make them pay the price
    See their bodies out on the ice, take my time
    Am I normal, yes I am
    Am I normal, I am man
    As I watched my Mother die, I lost my head
    Revenge now I sought, to break with my bread
    Takin' no chances, you come with me
    I'll split you to the bone
    Help set you free.
    Make them pay the price
    Am I normal, yes I am
    Am I normal, I am man
    On with the action now, I'll strip your pride
    I'll spread your blood around, I'll see you ride
    Your face is scarred with steel, wounds deep and neat
    Like a double dozen before you, smell so sweet.
    Make them pay the price
    Am I normal, yes I am
    Am I normal, I am man
    I'll make my residence, I'll watch your fire
    You can come with me, sweet desire
    My face is long forgotten, my face not my own
    Sweet and timely whore, take me home

>_>

first thing i thought of when i saw this thread. but meh, nah, im not normal, ive spent enough time amusing counsellors etc to have figured that one out. i overthink most things, and refuse to think about the ones that matter. i can spend weeks in a bad mood without knowing why, cos i just repress the bad ones. i can spend hours going over and over conversations in my head that have happened, and how they could have gone, or should have gone, and conversations that have never happened. not to mention most things in my head seem to happen in lyrical format. ive never felt so sane in my life as when i kept a diary in lyrical format, and instead of actually writing what happened or how i felt, i'd write it in what could one day be a song (except, i can't really play any music to put the lyrics too, and no way in hell am i showing that stuff to anyone else :D )...
    and yeah, most things i seem to have done in my life don't seem to have been the ' normal' or 'sensible' things to do, but meh.... senseless is pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I do loads of crazy shit, which I've posted here.

It's definitely not normal. But it is more common than I'd have thought. One night when drinking with my best friend from college and our girlfriends we decided to try to "out-crazy" each other. We both did lots of mad stuff with numbers and things like that. So it's probably got something to do with the type of brain we've got (nerdy ones :D).

Our girlfriends thought we were extremely mental but then they started saying things like most of you girls here have said; planning conversations, replaying conversations, being unable to remember if something was a dream or not.

So I reckon a lot of people have the same type of crazy stuff going through their heads! And we're just all mental!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I love plucking my eyebrows and even worse - I get great satisfaction from plucking my OH's eyebrows too (when I'm allowed - and I'm only allowed do the very middle between his eyebrows)

I'm pretty sure that is not normal :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

watna wrote: »
    I love plucking my eyebrows and even worse - I get great satisfaction from plucking my OH's eyebrows too (when I'm allowed - and I'm only allowed do the very middle between his eyebrows)

I'm pretty sure that is not normal :(

Oh but it is! I am more of a waxer myself - he's not so sure about it, something about scalding wax near his pretty face :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"The whole world's a stage..." When I'm not acting, I'm acting out. Is there a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

When I was a child my sister and I would pretend that we were hosting a cookery show (although we'd mostly make bowls of cornflakes ha ha!).

Anyway, I still sometimes imagine that I'm presenting a tv show and I talk about stuff documentary style. I could be talking about any rubbish like the way my living room is laid out, but in my head I sound very knowledgable and professional.

Am I normal?

PS. I also play out past or possible conversations and scenarios in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

watna wrote: »

Everytime pluck my eyebrows, I sneeze.

And I think that when I think and people are behind me that they can read my thoughts from the soft spot at the back of my head. Damned comics. and pot.

A crazy man once told me if you are not crazy, you are crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dontcallmecrazy

Tupins wrote: »
    When I was a child my sister and I would pretend that we were hosting a cookery show (although we'd mostly make bowls of cornflakes ha ha!).

Anyway, I still sometimes imagine that I'm presenting a tv show and I talk about stuff documentary style. I could be talking about any rubbish like the way my living room is laid out, but in my head I sound very knowledgable and professional.

Am I normal?

OMG i do that to, specially when i'm cooking dinner or cleaning, for some reason i like to tell the imaginary people in my apt. exactly what im doing an why!

i also practice my speach that i will give at my parents funerals, and then i cry at the thought of it.

worst one is, remember that film, what women want? yeah well i get these lil episodes sometimes that people know what im thinking and i get freaked out, and in my head im like 'stop thinking' and of course you cant stop thinking so i get all panicky that the dude behind me in the starbucks que knows waaay to much about me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I do the imaginary conversations in my head thing a fair bit.

I also count. All the time. Count steps I take, stairs, cars that go by...I've never met anyone who does that. Can that possibly be normal?

I watched part of that Horizon documentary last night on the Beeb about mental health and I got worried! :eek: I don't think I would pass some of the tests!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I imagine the members of my family and my close friends, and tell them I love them, and blow them an imaginary kiss goodnight each as I turn out the light at night.

And then I do the same for my pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Malari wrote: »
    I also count. All the time. Count steps I take, stairs, cars that go by...I've never met anyone who does that. Can that possibly be normal?

Did you read my post :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nasher

worst one is, remember that film, what women want? yeah well i get these lil episodes sometimes that people know what im thinking and i get freaked out, and in my head im like 'stop thinking' and of course you cant stop thinking so i get all panicky that the dude behind me in the starbucks que knows waaay to much about me!

Thats Hilarious I think about that too. I always think about what others are thinking about and do they know that I am trying to imagine what they are thinking about! :)

I always try and make people do things subconsciously like yawn by doing a fake yawn!! :P....yeah I know its a bit on the abnormal side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Tupins wrote: »

Am I normal?

ever watched Scrubs?
    Malari wrote: »
    I do the imaginary conversations in my head thing a fair bit.

I watched part of that Horizon documentary last night on the Beeb about mental health and I got worried! :eek: I don't think I would pass some of the tests!!

yep, knew someone who *had* to cross the road in ten steps or less, or get really agitated, knew someone else who had to speak an even number of words in every sentence, in their mind, they saw the sentence as words boxed off, and needed to be kept even.

mental health issues are really only issues if they have an effect/impact on how you conduct your every day life. if you need to count every stair, fine. if you work in a warehouse and insist on counting every item, instead of working on what you're supposed to be doing... then yes, you need help, or you shall get fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smiley_colly

lol all those posts are really funny!..
    for some strange reason i have to do things using my left first,
    Put my left shoe on first, my left leg into jeans etc....

Oh..&& my left foot first on the stairs..if i put my right foot on the first step i hop and switch and then look around to see if anyone saw lol....

also cant stand when ppl tell me the little ins & outs of stories..so i zone in & out and make bullet points in my head..Oops!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Did you read my post :eek: :D
    ever watched Scrubs?

yep, knew someone who *had* to cross the road in ten steps or less, or get really agitated, knew someone else who had to speak an even number of words in every sentence, in their mind, they saw the sentence as words boxed off, and needed to be kept even.

mental health issues are really only issues if they have an effect/impact on how you conduct your every day life. if you need to count every stair, fine. if you work in a warehouse and insist on counting every item, instead of working on what you're supposed to be doing... then yes, you need help, or you shall get fired.

Yay, I'm not alone! And no, it hasn't taken over my life yet so I won't worry.

I remember a few years ago I was sitting in my parent's kitchen counting something completely innocuous in my head. My dad asked me if I wanted a cup of tea and I said "nine" instead of yes! :D That was a little embarrassing...had to explain what that was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I always have imaginery argurments in my head! I always do it while walking somewhere on my own and then i notice myself mouthing the words I'm thinking, or making angry faces...then i feel weird!!!

And don't get me started with the Truman show...I AM Truman! It can't be anyone else because i'd be an actor and i'd know...so it has to be me...and you're all actors...and this thread was made just to put me off the scent!!!

Maybe my weirdest thing is when i have crazy ideas, like me being Truman, I go over it loads in my head. Then make it more complicated. When i tried to explain to my girlfriend why only yourself could be Truman, she looked at me as if I was weird! "But do ya not realize that if it was anyone else, you'd know!"

OK, it's official....I am just strange!

OH and i count everything too! Like how many times i stir a cup of tea!

*Haha, just noticed this was the ladies lounge...*Slowly edges towards the door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Whenever Im sitting down at a table/desk be it at a pc, dinner table, and other stuff, I usually sit at the very very edge of the seat. I've no idea why! I have tried to stop myself and I do it without even noticing it.

One of these days I'm going to fall off my chair.

I'm a bad flyer, so when I fly I have a ritual. I have to sit just before the wing, in the middle. When the plane takes off I have to watch out the window, holding my friends hands or whatever person is sitting beside me that I know (I can't fly on my own). If I don't look I'm terrified.

I know that's weird but it all makes me feel better. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

your useing your imgination.....to much you need stimulation may i recomend a rubex cube most faustrateing thing iv ever baught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

OMG i do that to, specially when i'm cooking dinner or cleaning, for some reason i like to tell the imaginary people in my apt. exactly what im doing an why!

i also practice my speach that i will give at my parents funerals, and then i cry at the thought of it.
    !

I do all your mad thing's too,along with,

If I hear a sad but meaningful song on the radio
    I try to remember it so if one of my family die I
    can suggest it for the funeral!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Rozabeez wrote: »

I sometimes prepare conversations in my head, that I know I'll never have. I picture scenarios, I get strange urges etc.

I do that too and I'm weirdly superstitious about it, if I'm running through a conversation/situation that I'd like to happen but hasn't happened I think "****, I'd better stop doing this, because then it won't happen!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Wow surprised to hear so many people practise conversations in their heads i thought i was the only one!

I do it til my head hurts and then it never turns out as i imagined.

I always fantasise, have done since a kid. At 33 i still fantasise about being a famous singer on a stage with a glittering dress and looking beautiful blasting out the songs :(

I do the alphabet with my breathing. Cant explain it but i breathe the letters so day i do a d, its in for the curvy bit and out for the line, no i was right i cant explain it but if i land on an inhale and the letter is finished i'm fcuked it, freaks me out :o

Theres a lot more but the baby is crying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dontcallmecrazy

G&T wrote: »
    I do all your mad thing's too,along with,

If I hear a sad but meaningful song on the radio
    I try to remember it so if one of my family die I
    can suggest it for the funeral!!!!!!!!

Yes!!, today i heard leona lewis cover that snow patrol song, thats going in my little black book of funeral songs...

Advertisement