Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I normal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Cmol wrote: »
    Ever since watching the Truman show, I'd have this random thought every now and then that my life WAS the Truman show... not something I was about to share with anyone, and it wasn't something I lost any sleep over or anything but sitting on the bus the other day with a good friend (and boardsie ;)) she turns to me and says;

"Hey Cmol, do you ever think that your life is the Truman Show?"

Just saw this today:
    http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/TVNews/Articles/081125_reality_tv_truman_syndrome_AD

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yes!!, today i heard leona lewis cover that snow patrol song, thats going in my little black book of funeral songs...

:eek::eek::eek:

That's more likely to be the song that puts me into a coffin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

SeekUp wrote: »

Ha I saw that too, apparently my 'condition' has a name now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I think I'm on the Truman Show too... If I start saying a random new catchphrase, suddenly everyone is saying it. Or if I say a scenario then it will be on a show I like. Even clothes or styles I like then everyone is looking like that.

Also, everytime that Lucozade ad, or X box or Lips ad comes on I complain that I hate them. And someone just posted those exact ads up here!!

What is going on?!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

+1 playing out possible conversations/arguments in my head. I always win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I think I'm on the Truman Show too... If I start saying a random new catchphrase, suddenly everyone is saying it. Or if I say a scenario then it will be on a show I like. Even clothes or styles I like then everyone is looking like that.

Also, everytime that Lucozade ad, or X box or Lips ad comes on I complain that I hate them. And someone just posted those exact ads up here!!

What is going on?!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Weird, Sounds like you really could be truman. Try to get a flight to australia or somewhere tomorrow, see how many weird problems will arise. When you finally manage to get to the airport through the unusually gridlocked traffic due to a traffic light 'malfunction', you will most likely find that your flight is cancelled and there are no other flights available to any destinations. You will therefore return home to think up another plan to escape.
    You could also tell your boss to f*ck off. He is hardly going to fire YOU after all. And just to prove that you are in fact truman, get a really mad item of clothing and see everyone wearing it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Cmol wrote: »
    Ha I saw that too, apparently my 'condition' has a name now :P

Yeah its called crazy b.itch :P

You know I'm only joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Yeah its called crazy b.itch :P

You know I'm only joking.

You started it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

mickdw wrote: »
    Weird, Sounds like you really could be truman. Try to get a flight to australia or somewhere tomorrow, see how many weird problems will arise. When you finally manage to get to the airport through the unusually gridlocked traffic due to a traffic light 'malfunction', you will most likely find that your flight is cancelled and there are no other flights available to any destinations. You will therefore return home to think up another plan to escape.
    You could also tell your boss to f*ck off. He is hardly going to fire YOU after all. And just to prove that you are in fact truman, get a really mad item of clothing and see everyone wearing it next week.

Hmm... reverse psychology to throw me off the scent. Interesting. But then again you WOULD do that.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have groundhog days scenarios in my head ,like todays wednesday right ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

i actually have dreams where the life i am living now is only a dream(think bobby ewing in dallas0 and that when i wake up i will still be a young child and go on to achieve everything i wanted to be, rich succesfull professional footballer, then i wake up and cry:mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

I always try to press pause and undo in my head to pause my life or undo something i just did....too many hours of Sims as a kid and way too many hours of Autocad now :(

I also have to read every car reg that goes by me....im a bit ocd....theres way more but you will all think im nuts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

I do all that numbery stuff that you do nkay1985 but im not a maths nerd at all, infact i hate maths!( i got a D in pass maths in the LC whenever i did that) but i always do simple little things like that with car reg's and i'll do it when someone tells me a phone number, ill notice multiples of numbers within the number...

the other thing i do is if i read a word when im walking somewhere ill spell it over and over again. or say a phrase over and over again until i get to my destination. oh, and if the number of letters in the word or phrase is divisable by five thats good cause sometimes i will kind of count the letters on my fingers while spelling them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

I do that! I prepare converstaion, that I very very rarely have, and I picture scenarios in my head, usually to do with said conversations! So either, we're both weird, or we're both normal! ;):D

You can add me to that list aswell.
    Most of the time when the conversation ACTUALLY happens, it doesn't go ANY way like i had planned! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

watna wrote: »
    I love plucking my eyebrows and even worse - I get great satisfaction from plucking my OH's eyebrows too (when I'm allowed - and I'm only allowed do the very middle between his eyebrows)

I'm pretty sure that is not normal :(

I love this too and when I see someone with bushy eyebrows or even a hair out of place I really feel the need to pluck it! I also love the feeling of waxing and epilating. It's addictive. And I'm pretty sure that's not normal!

I plan out conversations too, and after I've had a conversation I always go through in my head and think of what I should have said.

If I trace something with my finger, in the air or on a table or anywhere I have to keep going until I've finished, I can't stop halfway through because it feels wrong. And whatever I trace has to be symmetrical. Although I haven't done that in awhile now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I also plan conversations in my head and more often then not the other person says exactly what I was expecting them to say!

I count my teeth with my tongue sometimes (yes, all 32 are still there...) and I have no idea why I do that.

Sometimes I draw pictures on the roof of my mouth with my tongue.

I can't eat breakfast in the morning, even the thought of trying to eat makes me retch.

I have to file my nails in the same direction as if I go back and forth the sensation hurts my teeth! (yes, teeth again)

I love to pluck out ingrown hairs and get a strange feeling of satisfaction when I successfully remove one.

If a label has been taken off a soda bottle/beer bottle then I can't drink it.

So, no, I'm probably not normal but I wouldn't have it any other way. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

janeybabe wrote: »
    I also love the feeling of waxing and epilating. It's addictive. And I'm pretty sure that's not normal!

Me too! Love the satisfaction of a good wax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Is it weird for thoughts to trail off into different funeral arrangements? The song thing is something I've often thought about... :/

Also..
    bnagrrl wrote: »
    Sometimes I draw pictures on the roof of my mouth with my tongue.

I decided to try that and see how it feels after reading your post... I don't like it one bit. Far too ticklish for that!!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i name food when i like it. like a nice bread roll. its a bit tricky to eat after but i figure its their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kazkiely

Oh my God, The Truman Show thing! I thought I was the only one. It's kinda cos I feel like people know what I have done even if I was alone when I was doing it. And if I'm thinking of something people always say the exact same thing I'm thinking about right there and then. So I think everyone can read my mind which obviously freaks the bejeezus out of me.

As well, if I'm talking to someone and I'm trying to think of something that I can't remember, it's like there's a little voice in my head is going 'hahaha I'm not gonna let you think of it!' so all I can think of is this little voice in my head saying that and can't ever remember what I wanted to say... :eek:

Also...I don't like it when there's a pair of shoes on the ground and one is facing the opposite way to the other or the right one is on the left and vice versa. Don't like odd numbers on the volume and don't like there being two empty plug sockets with one or both switches turned on.

...phew!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lmnop

After reading all the posts I realise i'm not so weird after all....
    I have to have all the teaspoons facing with the handle end east in the cutlery drawer. I cant leave them facing the wrong way - even worse if their all mixed up.
    And the cushions on the bed have a certain way to be placed - which my other half NEVER gets right. I cant leave them in the wrong place - even if it means that I end up running late in the morning.
    I have a thing for straightening stuff and lining them up as well...just random things, not everything. Its a bit annoying....
    Then theres the reversing into car park space - i cant do it from the left - car just wont go into that space no matter how hard I try. I'll drive around and go at it from the other direction rather than try it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

lmnop wrote: »
    And the cushions on the bed have a certain way to be placed - which my other half NEVER gets right. I cant leave them in the wrong place - even if it means that I end up running late in the morning.

I have a thing for straightening stuff and lining them up as well...just random things, not everything. Its a bit annoying....

I am the exact same Imnop!! I have about 8 various coushins on my bed and they HAVE to go on and off the same way.
    Same with the straightening stuff etc, I do that wherever I am tbh. Ah I miss straightening the books on the shelves in the bookshop I worked in....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Malari wrote: »
    I do the imaginary conversations in my head thing a fair bit.

I also count. All the time. Count steps I take, stairs, cars that go by...I've never met anyone who does that. Can that possibly be normal?

I watched part of that Horizon documentary last night on the Beeb about mental health and I got worried! :eek: I don't think I would pass some of the tests!!

I do that too. I have no idea why. Im constantly counting how many steps it takes me to cross the road/get up a flight of stairs/etc. I also do it with lamposts when Im in the car/on the bus. I sing a song in my head and every time I pass a lampost thats the main beat which gives me the tempo and if theres smaller lamposts in between then I use them as the drum line... I cant really explain it properly. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I do that too. I have no idea why. Im constantly counting how many steps it takes me to cross the road/get up a flight of stairs/etc. I also do it with lamposts when Im in the car/on the bus. I sing a song in my head and every time I pass a lampost thats the main beat which gives me the tempo and if theres smaller lamposts in between then I use them as the drum line... I cant really explain it properly. :P

I count stuff too, not sure why. I definitely don't sing whilst doing it :p

I also spell the words that I am saying in my head whilst talking??? Not sure what that says about me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I also spell the words that I am saying in my head whilst talking??? Not sure what that says about me

I count the dividers on the road when I'm in the passanger seat. It's annoying but I can't stop.

I get words stuck in my head sometimes and I find myself spelling them over and over again. :confused:

I also can't figure out how to stop shaking my leg because I do it and I don't even realise.

You know when someone taps you and says 'hit you last' ? I can't handle that, I will hunt them down and hit them last.

I straighten and align stuff too

I am not a neat freak though, it is only certain things and in certain situations that I straighten stuff??

I straighten and align stuff too

I am not a neat freak though, it is only certain things and in certain situations that I straighten stuff??

Are you me by any chance? :D

This is me.

I didn't put in that I straighten and align stuff but I always do that too. Like place mats - I like to line them up so they're completely parallel with the edges of a table. And the knife and fork have to face so they're parallel with the place mat then! But I'm not that neat in general.

And I only said that I count the number of letters in a word but I'll always be spelling them in my head too. Especially if I say or hear a word you wouldn't come across every day.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Are you me by any chance? :D

I didn't put in that I straighten and align stuff but I always do that too. Like place mats - I like to line them up so they're completely parallel with the edges of a table. And the knife and fork have to face so they're parallel with the place mat then! But I'm not that neat in general.

And I only said that I count the number of letters in a word but I'll always be spelling them in my head too. Especially if I say or hear a word you wouldn't come across every day.

Do you know what, I might be :D

I do that exact thing with the place mat and cutlery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 CatLady1

Wow, can't believe other people said they don't like the Lucozade ad with the bears! I can't stand it, it's really weird because it's not like it scares me or freaks me out, I just can't watch it. I've never seen it in full, and that became an obsession. Anytime it come on, the channel had to be changed, my OH will change the channel if I'm in the house and I can even just hear it. I was in the cinema once when it came on and I closed my eyes and put my fingers in my ears! Crazy lady :o

• Advertisement

CatLady1 wrote: »
    Crazy lady :o

I think your username says it all tbh :pac:

Advertisement