Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I normal?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Was thinking that :P

simpsons_CrazyCatLady.gif

Hate that ad myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 CatLady1

Thanks guys....

Crazy cat lady and proud :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Ha, I thought of another one - I sometimes say a sentance and then have to translate it into french in my head, or will try and translate, say, the description on the back of a shampoo bottle into french.

I should point out at this point that I know very little french, meaning it can be quite a drawn out process trying to get these random sentances translated...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I count stuff too, not sure why. I definitely don't sing whilst doing it :p

I also spell the words that I am saying in my head whilst talking??? Not sure what that says about me

Aww for a second there I though someone else was going to understand. But no, I'm just a weirdo... :P

I spell things too. Get random words stuck in my head and spell them/rearrange them into other words...
    Cmol wrote: »
    Ha, I thought of another one - I sometimes say a sentance and then have to translate it into french in my head, or will try and translate, say, the description on the back of a shampoo bottle into french.

I should point out at this point that I know very little french, meaning it can be quite a drawn out process trying to get these random sentances translated...

I do that too! All the time. With Irish as well as French though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I do that too. I have no idea why. Im constantly counting how many steps it takes me to cross the road/get up a flight of stairs/etc. I also do it with lamposts when Im in the car/on the bus. I sing a song in my head and every time I pass a lampost thats the main beat which gives me the tempo and if theres smaller lamposts in between then I use them as the drum line... I cant really explain it properly. :P

I tap my feet to lampposts as I'm driving past, sort of the same thing. Hate when I get stuck in traffic and I can't reach the next lamppost:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lmnop

I'm so glad other people do the straightening thing...and arranging cushions. Someone said they line up place mats with the table corners - me too...I have to do it in restaurants as well. And then line up their salt and pepper things....only on the table i'm at though :D Anyone else tidy the shelves in shops when you take something off it? You can't leave a big empty space now, can u???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lmnop

I am the exact same Imnop!! I have about 8 various coushins on my bed and they HAVE to go on and off the same way.
    Same with the straightening stuff etc, I do that wherever I am tbh. Ah I miss straightening the books on the shelves in the bookshop I worked in....:rolleyes:

Oh I'd love that - I'd have to have the books arranged in size order - biggest to smallest. So the book types / authors etc would be all mixed up but at least they'd look nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

:| wrote: »
    I tap my feet to lampposts as I'm driving past, sort of the same thing. Hate when I get stuck in traffic and I can't reach the next lamppost:mad:

Oh thank god. I'm not alone! :D

It's so annoying when that happens. Coz then I have to change the tempo of the song. Or stop comepletely...

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Cmol wrote: »

I do that too but with Italian, not French.

I also have a fear of breaking my two front teeth and hate carrying large items with both hands if I can't see where I'm going in case I fall over and break my teeth :(

I also count things constantly, lines on the road, lamposts, numbers on reg plates... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

lmnop wrote: »
    Anyone else tidy the shelves in shops when you take something off it? You can't leave a big empty space now, can u???

I try to take an item behind the one in front so the display isn't messed up. :o
    All these quirks of mine, jeez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I also spell the words that I am saying in my head whilst talking??? Not sure what that says about me

Mm, I often have to visualise in my mind the written version of what someone is saying before I can process it
    but I think I can blame that on v bad hearing when I was an infant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

lmnop wrote: »
    Oh I'd love that - I'd have to have the books arranged in size order - biggest to smallest. So the book types / authors etc would be all mixed up but at least they'd look nice

yep yep yep yep yep, have my cds in alphabetical order(dont know if thats weird or normal though)

I can get freaked out in shops, especially clothes shops if there is someone in the asle I want to go down, sometimes go around the long way so I wont have to brush past them but usually by the time I go around the long way they're gone anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

If I am walking alongside someone I have to change my steps until I am in sync with them - left leg with left leg, right leg with right leg etc. My boyfriend has copped on that I do this and always changes his step to annoy me.

I cannot hear any kind of melody without it sticking in my head - be it from a TV ad, a movie background soundtrack or just a song on the radio. Sometimes I will go to sleep with a song in my head and as soon as I wake up the next morning it pops back into my brain again.

If I am thinking of something funny that has happened or if I am even imagining something funny happening, I always start grinning away to myself - my mother in particular hates this and always tells me that people will think I'm mad if I do that in public.

I have a terrible childhood fear of the dark and of being in a house on my own.

Now hand me my straight-jacket.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Róisín-Casey

Rozabeez wrote: »
    .....my life ISN'T the Truman Show?

I sometimes prepare conversations in my head, that I know I'll never have. I picture scenarios, I get strange urges etc.
    I'M the exact same! I always do it even if i'm 100% it could never happen. i think its just a compulsion! My mates are much the same although one maintains she has experienced it all b4 and knows it will happen but cryptically chooses not to tell us!! ( ha ha now shes cracked all right!!)
    i m random alright not normal and anyways normality is totally overated!!:cool::p:P:pac::D;):p:o:rolleyes::):mad::(:eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'll replay things that have happened in my head constantly. seeing what i did wrong/right and how to correct the wrongs and how to do more of the rights.

i'll often fixate myself on a nothing item like say a street grate and ask myself questions on like how it was made, where was it made, who made it, what they looked like etc.

i'll remember names of people that i'll rarely meet again i.e. someone with a name tag in a shop, i'll remember their face and associate their name with that forever more.

i use meaningless events to remember such things. i.e. to remember my college timetable i think of something stupid that happened before/during/after that class. e.g. say two weeks ago someone came into Class X eating an apple, i'd remember that and then know where i'd have to go for the class. it's silly i know.

when possible i refuse to type on a laptop keyboard, they feel wrong to me.

i have to arrange things in my pockets otherwise i won't leave the house.

phone in left pocket
    wallet/keys in right pocket
    change in back pocket

if they aren't in this order i will seriously not leave the house.

i also have to brush my teeth a certain way - like dainton off dirty sanchez - if i screw up a step i repeat the whole process again.

it's scrub, spit, scrub, spit, rinse brush, scrub, spit, gargle, spit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mistika

Here are some odd things about me:
    I usually sleep without a pillow, wake up in the wrong edge of bed (I mean head in the opposite side of bed - not where it is supposed to be);
    I brush my teeth every time I go out, it's rather weird habit;
    I can reach my nose with my lips :D Try it - I'm pretty sure you can't :D
    I should remember some more...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh yeah. i forgot it's weird not to use pillows.

hate the damned things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Will wrote: »
    When I wear ear phones in confined spaces (e.g buses) I think I'm breathing too loud and annoying people. Since I cant hear myself cos im listening to music i try and breath less loud as it were, thus breathing in shorter breaths. This is a vicious circle folks. Basically I end up not breathing and well passing out haha :pac:

too add a bit more to my funny story, when I'm on a bus now I leave one ear phone out so i can hear myself breathe, thus monitoring my breathing levels and not passing out. Win win for everyone.

and yes im far from normal but oh well :)

I do this, thats why I don't listen to music on the bus, glad to hear im not the only one cause thats pretty ****ed up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Will wrote: »
    Also have my own spot on the bus I like to sit in, right behind the stairs on top deck since there's more leg room :)

Also the same, I sit in the same seat every day

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

sometimes i sing sentences that i read/other people say over and over again in my head to the tune of "egg on your face" from the old tgi friday show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I always try to press pause and undo in my head to pause my life or undo something i just did....too many hours of Sims as a kid and way too many hours of Autocad now :(

Um, oh yeah, me too . . . as a kid . . . riiiight . . . :o
    Redpunto wrote: »
    yep yep yep yep yep, have my cds in alphabetical order(dont know if thats weird or normal though)

Well that's just good sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i make up stories and make playlists to sortof make a musical out of it. just recently did one to correspond with my life. i try and picture the scenes, (sometimes dancing) and music all tied in. i guess its because i'm a lousy writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

i make up stories and make playlists to sortof make a musical out of it. just recently did one to correspond with my life. i try and picture the scenes, (sometimes dancing) and music all tied in. i guess its because i'm a lousy writer.

Maybe you are a lousy writer, but it sounds like you'd make a good director!

Advertisement