Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site plan drawing question.

Options
  • 18-11-2008 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a CAD tech but am working in the Steel production sector but have produced plans for houses before. A mate of mine has asked me to produce drawings that are suitable for planning application. I will be using AutoCAD 2008 for the plans, elevations but my query is about the site plan. Where do I get the OS map required for this. I've seen people using AutoCAD and producing OS map site plans, but I don't know where the get the maps.

Do you download this as a dwg or do you input a different file type into AutoCAD?
    Where can it be downloaded, or do I need to scan a hard copy?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

p.s if the mods feel this might be more appropriate in Construction & Planning please move but I thought since this is a AutoCad specific question this might be the best place for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

There are a couple of ways of doing this and the maps aren't available for free as they are copyrighted.

You can buy an A4 map from the Ordnance survey or one of their agents or you can buy it on disk in either raster or vector format and use that. This method can be e-mailed to you. See this.

I usually scan the A4 map and insert it to the drawing and trace around the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

You can either buy a hard copy and scan it in as a raster image and scale to suit or you can buy a vector map which can be emailed to you as a dwg file.

If you buy a digital 'planning pack' you will get the dwg vector map and a bitmap of the corresponding 1:10560 map. This is the best option but the most expensive (~€100)

You can buy for OSI direct or one of thier agents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

smashey wrote: »
    There are a couple of ways of doing this and the maps aren't available for free as they are copyrighted.

You can buy an A4 map from the Ordnance survey or one of their agents or you can buy it on disk in either raster or vector format and use that. This method can be e-mailed to you. See this.

I usually scan the A4 map and insert it to the drawing and trace around the site.

You can only incorporate OSI map data into your drawings if you have a licence to do so. http://www.osi.ie/en/alist/copyright.aspx

So, for your Site Location Map scales at 1:1000 for urban areas and 1:2500 for rural areas you can just purchase the planning pack from the Ordnance survey, and red line the maps by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks to everyone for all your answers. They all help and because they are all so similar it really shows that this is the right way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I really think that a hardcory planning pack is the best way to go.
    Cheapest, fastest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

you can buy A4/A3 pdf copies of the os maps now online for the osi shop if you don't have an osi copyright licence, you need to buy 2 copies of the map (3 prints of the map are only permitted) so it works out a little more expensive than buying hard copies, however, if you have to travel to an osi agent, it may work out cheaper just to buy the two downloads.

Big advantage of the OSI shop is you can locate the relevant site yourself.

archtech wrote: »
    you can buy A4/A3 pdf copies of the os maps now online for the osi shop if you don't have an osi copyright licence, you need to buy 2 copies of the map (3 prints of the map are only permitted) so it works out a little more expensive than buying hard copies, however, if you have to travel to an osi agent, it may work out cheaper just to buy the two downloads.

Big advantage of the OSI shop is you can locate the relevant site yourself.

Didn't know that existed.
    Thats brilliant.

No more waiting days for maps by post.

Pity they dont throw in the 6" map with it too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Didn't know that existed.
    Thats brilliant.

No more waiting days for maps by post.

Pity they dont throw in the 6" map with it too

Is the 6" map actually required for planning?

Its says they are good for land registry. Thats good so as you only have to fork out €25 instead of €50 approx if you buy a hard copy.
    I do the odd bit of land transfer mapping and up to now I was buying a planning pack, marking up the transfer area etc. Land registry rules state mapping must be completed on a certain paper weight. I guess I would have to print these onto proper weight paper then?
    Any other problems with using these?

mickdw wrote: »
    Yep
    Its says they are good for land registry. Thats good so as you only have to fork out €25 instead of €50 approx if you buy a hard copy.
    I do the odd bit of land transfer mapping and up to now I was buying a planning pack, marking up the transfer area etc. Land registry rules state mapping must be completed on a certain paper weight. I guess I would have to print these onto proper weight paper then?
    Any other problems with using these?

Yea, 100 g/sqm paper min.

Also minimum 300 dpi printer.

• Advertisement

Yep

Are you sure about that? We submit a lot of applications with only the 1:2500 map.

Are you sure about that? We submit a lot of applications with only the 1:2500 map.

It's mandatory in Cork anyway.
    I always presumed it was a requirement in the regulations.
    Lucky you.

Bloody rebels. :D

Its seems abit silly for them to require these 1:10560 maps. They were useful when they needed the additional detail in order to locate the site etc but with coordinated listed on maps, it seems daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Its seems abit silly for them to require these 1:10560 maps. They were useful when they needed the additional detail in order to locate the site etc but with coordinated listed on maps, it seems daft.

6 original copies of each map required in Wexford. All 12 original OS maps with site outlined in red. Can use photocopies if stamped with your license no.
    (6 copies of everything required in Wexford in 6 seperate sets!!! - takes time:eek:)

Especially when you consider the 6" maps can be 100 years old in some cases. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I did a job in Coolea co cork not too long ago. When i got a planning pack from ordinance survey i got 12 1:10,560 maps. These were most current. Approx 1930s. Needless to say i found them realy usefull:D

RKQ wrote: »
    6 original copies of each map required in Wexford. All 12 original OS maps with site outlined in red. Can use photocopies if stamped with your license no.
    (6 copies of everything required in Wexford in 6 seperate sets!!! - takes time:eek:)

Exact same in Cork. A colour photocopier and an OSI licence comes in handy but bloody expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

For those of you with no copy right licence but you have an OS map for a job already but not six copies you can photocopy them and use the provided you use a holographic copyright sticker which you can get from your local map store about 3 euro for an A4 copyright sticker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Required in Roscommon aswell (Its not in the planning act but it beats an invalidation and the resulting concussion from trying to explain that to somebody in validation) but they are called Site Identification maps. They are to help the council locate the site.

• Advertisement

Can anyone comment about whether its required in Offaly or is it just as safe to supply it to be sure as Slig suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

If you check the application form(the standard one that all the LAs decided wasent individual enough) it usually gives a list of the documents/drawings required.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brosnadog

Q2002 wrote: »
    Can anyone comment about whether its required in Offaly or is it just as safe to supply it to be sure as Slig suggests
    Ive done alot of planning in offaly all you need is the 6 copies of the 1:2500 OS Maps
    Same goes for Tipp (NR)
    i think the 6 inch map is a joke especially when as somebody already said they can be over 100 years old.

brosnadog wrote: »
    i think the 6 inch map is a joke especially when as somebody already said they can be over 100 years old.
    Indeed, all those lime kilns slap bang in the middle of my sites. :D

I was talking to a guy who does a lot of planning applications in the Offaly/Westmeath area and he says he buys the maps in Athlone (dunno where?) and he scans it and adds it onto AutoCAD as a raster image and then alters it adding all his info on AC before printing the 6 copies from AC and submitting it, and he said he has never once been asked about a copyright for the OSI map. He actually didn't know what I was talking about when I suggested it.

Q2002 wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy who does a lot of planning applications in the Offaly/Westmeath area and he says he buys the maps in Athlone (dunno where?) and he scans it and adds it onto AutoCAD as a raster image and then alters it adding all his info on AC before printing the 6 copies from AC and submitting it, and he said he has never once been asked about a copyright for the OSI map. He actually didn't know what I was talking about when I suggested it.

I know a guy who buys 1 copy of the 1:2500 map, photocopys it 6 times (he keeps the original incase he gets another job within the area) and submits the photocopies and he is getting away with it for years with Offaly CoCo,

"Click" formerly Cantec in the athlone town centre are the OS agents. they are very handy because you can get maps 7 days a week ;)

I know a guy who buys 1 copy of the 1:2500 map, photocopys it 6 times (he keeps the original incase he gets another job within the area) and submits the photocopies and he is getting away with it for years with Offaly CoCo,

"Click" formerly Cantec in the athlone town centre are the OS agents. they are very handy because you can get maps 7 days a week ;)

Alot of people do that. It's perfectly legal if you have a licence.
    It's also handy if you have to prpare a land transfer map after planning.

Alot of people do that. It's perfectly legal if you have a licence.
    It's also handy if you have to prpare a land transfer map after planning.
    This guy has no licence. :o

This guy has no licence. :o

Ah well that's another story.

I've heard of people getting a slap on the wrist from OSI for simply not displaying their licence number on planning maps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement