Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Myers Action

Options
  • 18-11-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I know that there are other media related forums this could be moved to but i was hoping to get as many people as possible to react to this.

Keving Myers article today on suicide: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/suicide-victims-are-really-perpetrators-of-heartbreak-1542920.html

and previously his article on Africa: Africa is giving nothing to anyone -- apart from AIDS
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/africa-is-giving-nothing-to-anyone--apart-from-aids-1430428.html

I will be one of the more fortunate though still enraged individuals
    writing about Myers words, in so far as I have not lost anyone to this dark and terrible deed or witnessed first hand terrible poverty.

In recent times I have read his attacks on the most vulnerable and
    lost people, the impoverished, the ill and the despairing.
    At best his attack is careless at worst utterly devoid of humanity. To
    constructively criticise the methods and means to eliminate
    poverty or to acknowledge the dark void and misery left behind by
    suicide is a worthwhile exercise. However this was not the case.

Mr Myers spewed contempt for the vulnerable, giving credence and
    ammunition to those who would wish to give into humanities baser
    instincts. The absence of any compassion balance or pity was palpable.

There was nothing magnanimous or insightful in these articles, only
    hate.

I have written to irish independent but also to press ombudsman
    http://www.presscouncil.ie/v2/pressombudsman/portal.php?content=_includes/complain.php

Please, if you feel the same disgust for the article as i do please let them know. I queried the ombudsman that "Africa is giving nothing to anyone -- apart from AIDS" may be incitement to hate or failing that inaccurate.

If you disagree, perhaps i misinterpreted Mr Myers article or im overlooking something, let me know

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Kevin Myers is a grand ould chap. You leave him be with your powerful yet nasty rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Now that I'm asked to feel disgust....
    Nope afraid I can't/ AH affliction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I can't stand Myers generally but I think he makes some reasonable points in those two articles. I think they're actually two of his less sh1t-stirring pieces. I've a problem with the John Waters thing he references - I know I'm a feminist but I have been to a John Waters talk and found him excellent... however, blaming the epidemic of male suicide on the "triumph of feminism"... Please. :rolleyes:

Kevin Myers is right: suicide does destroy families, it is quite a cruel thing to do... however he's not looking at the other side: some people are in such unbearable pain that it's cruel to force them to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

bean wrote: »
    and previously his article on Africa: Africa is giving nothing to anyone -- apart from AIDS

Nah, there's been a couple of good Tarzan movies and nature documentaries. So, you don't believe in free speech then ?

Effectively, you want to use brute force to silence someone because you don't like what they're saying ?

At some stage, political correctness actually crosses the line into censorship and thought police.

Yes, he's being incredibly insensitive, but maybe that's his objective/journalistic brief he was given to get more readers.

But, I think political correctness does go a bit too far at times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kevin Myers writes some controversial tripe? I never thought I'd see the day. In fairness to him, I can kinda see the point he is trying to make in the two articles you mention, doesn't mean he's not a bit of a twat though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its an opinion piece, and I'm not sure what there is to argue with tbh.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

mike65 wrote: »
    Its an opinion piece, and I'm not sure what there is to argue with tbh.

Mike

Don't do that man!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I only thanked you because I'm pretty sure you didn't read any of that... nor did I *cough*.

Very astute of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

So just because you disagree with his opinion you are trying to silence him?

One of the pillars of modern democracy is the freedom of the press and the freedom for people to express their opinions. It disgusts me when i see people trying to suppress and silence others opinions.

Op, if you disagree with Myres (I often find myself in disagreement with his opinions) then DONT READ HIS ARTICLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think the suicide article is par-for-the-course Myers really. It has a basically offensive / hysterical context and title, but when you read the article itself, the basic premise is not actually that offensive, if admittedly objectionable and provocatively couched.

He's paid to wind up challenge sacred cows and that's what he does. He seems to be the favourite bug bear of left liberals (as I would class myself) but I often can't see what the fuss is about, or more accurately, I think there are far more objectionable opinions about.

I'm probably a bit biased as -even though I dislike about 80% of what he says- he's a fine writer when he wants to be, as Watching the Door attests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I only thanked you because I'm pretty sure you didn't read any of that... nor did I *cough*.

* cough * * cough *.:o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Please, if you feel the same disgust for the article as i do please let them know. I queried the ombudsman that "Africa is giving nothing to anyone -- apart from AIDS" may be incitement to hate or failing that inaccurate.

If you disagree, perhaps i misinterpreted Mr Myers article or im overlooking something, let me know
    What do you hope to achieve through manufacturing this outrage, some kind of Brand/Ross witch-hunt? If you solicit enough complaints of the press ombudsman the beastly Mr Myers can be driven back to Leicester?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

I cant say I'm a great fan of Myers but I don't find anything offensive about the article. Certainly I dont' see anything that warrants a complaint to the press ombudsman or whatever he's called.

Maybe I missed something so perhaps you could point to what you found so offensive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I don't see where the problem is.

He's only giving an opinion, which a lot of people would agree with.

Whilst I don't agree with everything he writes I still believe we are just about living in a free society, so if you don't like it then don't read his column.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

Robbo wrote: »
    What do you hope to achieve through manufacturing this outrage, some kind of Brand/Ross witch-hunt? If you solicit enough complaints of the press ombudsman the beastly Mr Myers can be driven back to Leicester?

Fair enough, i guess im letting my personal outrage get the best of me.
    I think it crossed a line though. Saying that Africa has brought nothing to the world but aids is inaccurate unfair and does spread a kind of hatred that i cant take.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tedstriker

Suicide is selfish. I have two friends who have had parents that committed suicide. Brothers of people I went to school with have committed suicide. Other people from my home town have committed suicide and in most cases it has had a mammoth impact on the family and friends of the family. It brings a sense of shame on top of the massive loss of a young and unexpected death. Whatever the reasons for it are, you cannot get over the fact that it is selfish. Myers might be blunt to someone who is sensitive but he is right on many points.

To be honest, when he wrote in the Times, this kind of stuff created a furore because of the IT readership. I fail to see how it is that incongruent with the Indo/Sindo.

XJR wrote: »
    I cant say I'm a great fan of Myers but I don't find anything offensive about the article. Certainly I dont' see anything that warrants a complaint to the press ombudsman or whatever he's called.

Maybe I missed something so perhaps you could point to what you found so offensive about it.

suppose a highly read journalist in a widely read news paper telling everyone that africa is no good and all its done is spread aids. I found it offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

suppose a highly read journalist in a widely read news paper telling everyone that africa is no good and all its done is spread aids. I found it offensive

I find your post offensive.

tedstriker wrote: »
    Suicide is selfish. I have two friends who have had parents that committed suicide. Brothers of people I went to school with have committed suicide. Other people from my home town have committed suicide and in most cases it has had a mammoth impact on the family and friends of the family. It brings a sense of shame on top of the massive loss of a young and unexpected death. Whatever the reasons for it are, you cannot get over the fact that it is selfish. Myers might be blunt to someone who is sensitive but he is right on many points.

id say that i agree with you ted, its tragic and it just brings bad things to everyone involved.

Its just that i have known of guys my own age (not very close) who were bullied and in some instances mentally unwell when they killed themselves, i didnt consider it an act of selfishness.

• Advertisement

I find your post offensive.

touche

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

personally, I think he's right, on all counts..including the outrage of the moralists....
    Seriously not making a joke but a friend recenty pointed out, in regards to one of those "jacinda has to walk twenty miles every day just to get clean water" adds
    What the ****?... why dont they just move? its not like they cant, they live in tents for **** sake.....:eek:
    talk about a tena moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    personally, I think he's right, on all counts..including the outrage of the moralists....
    Seriously not making a joke but a friend recenty pointed out, in regards to one of those "jacinda has to walk twenty miles every day just to get clean water" adds
    What the ****?... why dont they just move? its not like they cant, they live in tents for **** sake.....:eek:
    talk about a tena moment

quote of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Kirnsy wrote: »
    quote of the day...

+1

talk about a tena moment

id say that it has something to do with the fact that the water supplies in these places dry up and appear somewhere else and living beside a mosquito ridden putrid water source with wild animals nearby isnt healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Best way to have an impact on myers is not to read what he writes and not to buy the Rag he writes for.

Why anyone would pay for the Indo is beyond me in any case, but I realise it serves a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Fair enough, i guess im letting my personal outrage get the best of me.
    I think it crossed a line though. Saying that Africa has brought nothing to the world but aids is inaccurate unfair and does spread a kind of hatred that i cant take.

Ok so shift the balance by telling us what it has brought to the world? And I dont think that the spouting of a journalist is going to spread hatred, confirm what oher people are secretly thinking maybe, but I dont think its going to suddenly induce racism in a rational person...maybe I'm niave

talk about a tena moment

Mad Africans.

Why wouldn't they want to live right beside a river.

Sheer laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

"jacinta has to walk twenty miles every day just to get clean water" adds

Your thinking of Tallagh.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »
    Best way to have an impact on myers is not to read what he writes and not to buy the Rag he writes for.

Why anyone would pay for the Indo is beyond me in any case, but I realise it serves a purpose.

thats a fair point

Advertisement