Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Myers Action

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

thought it might have been for you and your nonsense rants and personal attacks and on Diogenes

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

Shame really, this hasnt been a debate for a long time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nope, wrong, bah.

Its not just Africa either, its practised over half of SE Asia, and I would know.

Again going back to my example of Kenya, its not a tribal tradition/ritual as originally suggested in the thread. The article doesnt suggest it either. its no more a tribal thing that young irish guys thinking they wont get a woman pregnant if they have sex standing up. The key factor contributing is lack of education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

His (in)famous article on how 'laziness' has tarnished the reputation of the gentle Black and Tans still makes me laugh.

Along with the absolute **** he wrote about Shell To Sea last year, and how it was a mix of 'mad Gaelgoirí' and 'Sinn Féin hoodo-voodoism' whatever the hell that means....

I often disagree with him, but still read him.
    Like Vincent Browne on the other side of the spectrum, he's a very good writer (most of the time!) who even if you disagree with him- makes for good reading.

Mad as he is, he's entitled to his opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

faceman wrote: »
    Again going back to my example of Kenya, its not a tribal tradition/ritual as originally suggested in the thread. The article doesnt suggest it either. its no more a tribal thing that young irish guys thinking they wont get a woman pregnant if they have sex standing up.
    I don't think so, thinking you won't get a woman pregnant if you have sex standing up is ignorance, the drying out of the vaginal wall is meant to make it feel better for the men. There is a kind of half baked reasoning going into it, a bit like autoerotic asphyxiation.

Its a fairly fine line between sexual practices passed down from mother to daughter for generations, and tribal traditions passed down from mother to daughter for generations.
    faceman wrote: »
    The key factor contributing is lack of education.
    Agreed. Almost all of Africa's problems would be gone within three generations if a modern, not neccesarily western, education system was enforced there. The vicious circle is that tribal conflicts absorb a lot of resources, and debt repayment to an extent, and this doesn't allow as much to go into education, and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement