Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babys 1st Christmas Present

Options
  • 18-11-2008 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

DD will be 8 and a half months at Christmas. We still have absolutely NO idea of what to get her for Christmas. I wont even get into the idealogical problems of us celebrating it at all (we're not Christians!), but we feel we want to do it for her. We don't want to go mad financially, as she'll be barely aware that it's different from any other day, so we've settled on two little gifts one of which will be a keepsake from her first Christmas. We've been in the toystores and come out more confused each time. She has everything she could possibly want or need already as her nana owns a toyshop and she is an only grandchild.
    She is currently obsessed with tags on clothes and toys so maybe something from the Taggies range, which nana doesn't stock!
    What did ye all get your little ones for their first Christmas? I'm looking for inspiration and I'm feeling very clueless here and it's only getting closer!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You know, his first Christmas [6 mos old] was only last year and I cant even remember what I got him. My mother got him a solid silver picture frame to put in a nice photo, but I have yet to put in a photo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

For my daughters first christmas she got a little winnie the pooh teddy that became her constant companion for the next 4 years which was lovely. To my shame I can't remember what my son got :o but then he was only 7 weeks old so maybe I can be forgiven...

oh those winnie the pooh night night teddies are gorgeous, the one where winnie is asleep on a pillow and the pillow plays a lullaby. But she probably has that!

my godson was 1 last week and I bought him the tickle me elmo chair. It's the coolest thing ever, when you sit on it it vibrates and giggles - godson loves it.

elmo chair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 SpiderPiglet

My little boy is going to be 8 months old at christmas too and I havent a clue what to get him.
    I got him the dancing Winny the Poo bear last week and he was more interested in the rattle that came with it.
    So I was thinking of waiting till closer the time to see what he will actually play with, right now he likes anything that will fit in his mouth. :)

Have you been to the new toy shop in Dundrum, they have some really great stuff for babies ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A silver photo album with a frame on the front would be a lovely keep sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

- Not a present but a keepsake - we got our kids Christmas Tree Decorations with year and "My First Christmas" theme. Now aged 12 + 9 and still very proud of "their one" each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

1966 wrote: »
    - Not a present but a keepsake - we got our kids Christmas Tree Decorations with year and "My First Christmas" theme. Now aged 12 + 9 and still very proud of "their one" each year.

I seen these personalised christmas decoratioons in my local shopping centre last year - (socks hanging on a fireplace with names wrote on the socks was the one that stuck in my head). anyway i think these are lovely and it will be remembered every year as the child gets older that that was his/her first christmas present

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

thanks for all the suggestions girls!

I could open a shop with all the photo frames I have and TBH I have a very low tolerance for things that need to be dusted! DH was a pro photographer in another life so we lack not for photos - in fact I'm gonna have trouble doing her passport picture because the second she sees a camera she breaks a mile wide grin and they are very strict about looking too happy in your passport!

I saw a tricycle thingy in a toy catalog today that is a rocker with a handle on it for 9 months on, a scooter with a handle on for 12 months on, then it converts to a tricycle with no pedals and finally into a little trike with pedals and no parent push handle up to 36 months. And all only about 80 squid! She is obsessed with tags at the moment so I might get her a Taggie blankie soother thingie which she'll probably become unreasonable attached to and have until her Leaving Cert. My salary is under review and I wont know the outcome till the end of this month and hubby is undergoing treatment for a slipped disc and working reduced hours at the moment so we cant be going mad. I have a thing for cookie monster (Elmo is new to me) and I dont see much of him around the shops. And did ye know that cookie monster isnt allowed eat cookies anymore?:rolleyes:

Have seen the personalised santa stockings and they are gorgeous... I might just get her that one more little thing!...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

At least you can get off not having to spend much on a baby or toddler, it's when they get older that the presents get smaller but more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

DD will be 8 and a half months at Christmas. We still have absolutely NO idea of what to get her for Christmas. I wont even get into the idealogical problems of us celebrating it at all (we're not Christians!), but we feel we want to do it for her. We don't want to go mad financially, as she'll be barely aware that it's different from any other day, so we've settled on two little gifts one of which will be a keepsake from her first Christmas. We've been in the toystores and come out more confused each time. She has everything she could possibly want or need already as her nana owns a toyshop and she is an only grandchild.
    She is currently obsessed with tags on clothes and toys so maybe something from the Taggies range, which nana doesn't stock!
    What did ye all get your little ones for their first Christmas? I'm looking for inspiration and I'm feeling very clueless here and it's only getting closer!:confused:

http://www.imaginarium.ie/toys/Candy_Run_Run/ecommerce_1/29557
    this is what we are getting our daughter for xmas, she will be 3 months, but it grows with her, you should check out the imaginarium, they have great toys and walkers and stuff, all really good learning stuff, and all very original, great things for stimulating little minds and reflexes etc. also they do great things for little girls and boys bedrooms, might be an idea to give her a princess room, every little girl loves to be a princess! :)

here is their homepage: http://www.imaginarium.ie/

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

And did ye know that cookie monster isnt allowed eat cookies anymore?:rolleyes:

apperently "cookies are a sometime food and fruit and veg is an anytime food"....the youth of today, pah!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have a thing for cookie monster (Elmo is new to me) and I dont see much of him around the shops. And did ye know that cookie monster isnt allowed eat cookies anymore?:rolleyes:

If you want to foster a love of cookie monster in her you could get this.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-T-M-X-Tickle-Extreme-Monster/dp/B000NW13RO/ref=pd_sim_ba_2

Although maybe it's one to save til the 2nd christmas, as it says 18 months.

Excellent! Molly (i.e. me!) definitely wants one of those! I'll "mind" it for her till she's old enough to use it. Best buy it now before the government announces a blanket ban on cookie monsters!

I went mad and got her cookie monster and Elmo as well. I didnt know much about Elmo as he's a bit after my time but he's just so unbelievably CUTE! She might not appreciate them very much at the moment so I got her an activity table as she loves pressing buttons and is forever trying to get at my laptop! I got her a few smaller ten euro developmental bits like stacking cups and a jack in the box too. Mad mad mad!:D

I went mad and got her cookie monster and Elmo as well. I didnt know much about Elmo as he's a bit after my time but he's just so unbelievably CUTE! She might not appreciate them very much at the moment so I got her an activity table as she loves pressing buttons and is forever trying to get at my laptop! I got her a few smaller ten euro developmental bits like stacking cups and a jack in the box too. Mad mad mad!:D

haha! you're so funny, you went from not buying her anything to spoiling her rotten. and rightly so!!!

enjoy xx

I know!!! I'm MORTO!!!:o:o:o

I kid myself into thinking of the developmental value of all I got her!!! Ha! :D

I did come up with a novel way of buying them though with my legs up on the couch. Daddy ran around the big toy shop, while mammy sat at home with the lap top and mobile fone telling daddy what to buy!!!! MUCH EASIER! :P

Goodness help me when she starts ASKING for stuff!

the developmental value, must remember that one!
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My daughter was a little older at her first Christmas (10 months) and I was thinking in terms of the fact that she'd be walking within the next few months or so, so I got her one of those little push along things to help her to pull herself into a standing position and she soon began to take tentative first steps pushing it along. It was only about 30 euro, and she played with it a lot. It had a detachable panel thing on the front with all buttons and lights which played music etc., so once she was comfortably walking she just played with the panel.

Advertisement