Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oooh baby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Shaped very much like the Dodge.

Dream car of mine.........................one of many. I just want to rev the engine and make people jealous really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like an evolution of the current model.

LOL, just noticed that the headlight switch to the left of the steering wheel is identical to the one in my Focus.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think it looks better than the current version. Still, I had visions of them going back towards the Mk III or IV. :eek:

As for the switch, if many standard Ford bits are good enough for Aston martin then who am I to argue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Great looking cars but uselss - had one in Florida a while back and the accelerator was a volume control as it sure as hell wasn't anything to do with power. The V8 should be betetr.

I lived over there many years ago and has a 73 Mach 1 Convertible, tricked out so it has 400 bhp at the rear wheels, couldn't stop it and couldn't go around corners but from 40mph it was a bullet and as for a bit of sideways action it was mental - I love the old muscle cars, just 4 wheels and an engine

This is a slightly tidier version - sorry I sold it, should have mugged someone and shipped her home

BJPS-1973Convertible-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

it'll still handle like a boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

newmustang57.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Now lets hope Ford survive till 2010, given their current financial state.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

traco wrote: »
    I love the old muscle cars, just 4 wheels and an engine

LOL, that's a class definition :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Steering wheels are for pussies eh?

The old American muscle cars were superb, there's a blue mustang doing the rounds in Cork, and if I owned it, the first thing I'd do is throw out the stereo ... the engine makes enough music on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Entry level model is a 4.0 V6 producing 210 BHP + 240 torques.

Why is it that they can't wring more power from such a lump? Or is it just all about the torque, noise and general atmosphere of a Mustang?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I fail to see the big difference from what's currently on the market... it's basically just a minor facelift!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Drove one of these last year from Boston to New York. Drove a convertible, the 4.0 V6 version - totally toothless - 210 BHP. Honestly, my own car which is only a 2.0T felt way quicker. As an American mate said when I expressed my disappointment with it... "Piece of **** American cars..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Drove one of these last year from Boston to New York. Drove a convertible, the 4.0 V6 version - totally toothless - 210 BHP. Honestly, my own car which is only a 2.0T felt way quicker. As an American mate said when I expressed my disappointment with it... "Piece of **** American cars..."

I rented one (free upgrade:)) in the US in the summer too, wouldn't have pulled the head off a pint. Add that to the skitso auto box too. In fairness tho american petrol is low octane poo.

Still enjoyed the look of the car however, really gave a great tone to the holiday, GF loved it too.

Would love to drive a 4.6 V8 version tho, with a manual, with 95ron fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Yeah same here still turned heads and got a few comments about it despite everything. They aren't that expensive over there. Impression I got from people was that they are regarded as a 'fun' car but very few people would be actually interested in actually owning one.

I actually wanted to get the Shelby through Hertz, but it wasn't available :( - Probably a good thing in hindsight as I would have been arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Yeah same here still turned heads and got a few comments about it despite everything. They aren't that expensive over there. Impression I got from people was that they are regarded as a 'fun' car but very few people would be actually interested in actually owning one.

I actually wanted to get the Shelby through Hertz, but it wasn't available :( - Probably a good thing in hindsight as I would have been arrested.

Yeah i had my eye on a Corvette LT-1 in the Budget garage but the GF liked the Mustang, probably wouldn't have given it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Neighbour has a V8, gorgeous sound off it:D

Other than that, not too fond of driving on the wrong side of the car....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Minor facelift really, but god i love the look of it. You know it would put a smile on your face everyday as you revved the nuts out of it.

But the point of the american muscle car is Growling V8 rumble. Its niiiice.
    Cannot understand it 200 odd HP from a 4.2 WTF! Something i never understood

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

cabrwab wrote: »
    Minor facelift really, but god i love the look of it. You know it would put a smile on your face everyday as you revved the nuts out of it.

But the point of the american muscle car is Growling V8 rumble. Its niiiice.
    Cannot understand it 200 odd HP from a 4.2 WTF! Something i never understood

It's because Muscle Car engines were originally built to provide more torque than power. I.e very quick off the line but not much top end. For example a 79 6.6ltr Olds engine produced 185hp and 320 ft/lbs of torque while European engineered cars of the same era were producing higher hp and lower torque. The difference between torque and power can be better explained here:

http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html

And yes, they do sound absolutely fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

A 4.0L V6 producing 210BHP is insane. Considering the likes of the 1.6 opel corsa which can put out 190 i would just feel cheated with that V6's power return. Even the V8's 315 seems a quite poor offering. As for it been a 'chicks' car.......only in America!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

omega man wrote: »
    A 4.0L V6 producing 210BHP is insane. Considering the likes of the 1.6 opel corsa which can put out 190 i would just feel cheated with that V6's power return. Even the V8's 315 seems a quite poor offering. As for it been a 'chicks' car.......only in America!

Did ya have a look at the above post dude? kinda explains why!

Who wants to drive a Corsa anyhow!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Did ya have a look at the above post dude? kinda explains why!

Who wants to drive a Corsa anyhow!?!

No need to be smart :mad: Ye well and good in the 70's maybe but things have moved on a bit. My point with the corsa was that if power like that can be delivered from a 1.6 then surely to god they can push out far more than 210 in a 4.0 with the torque to boot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    It's because Muscle Car engines were originally built to provide more torque than power. I.e very quick off the line but not much top end. For example a 79 6.6ltr Olds engine produced 185hp and 320 ft/lbs of torque while European engineered cars of the same era were producing higher hp and lower torque. The difference between torque and power can be better explained here:

http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html

And yes, they do sound absolutely fantastic!

Great article - and it does sort of sum up the fact that there is no subsitute for Cubic Inches, so when you have the hp and the torque you are laughing. I suppose thats why so many modern diesels are so good at daily driving, loads of pull (torque) and very usable.

Back on topic - the entry mustang in the US is USD$20,450.00 or €16,360, a few months back it would have been around €13k. The entry level Corsa is €14.8k. The OPC Corsa is €30k, 315bhp V8 Bullit is €26k and the 540hp supercharged GT500 is €34.4k (€27.7k a few months back) All rates used are at 1.25 as of today. So they are cheap cars by EU standards and you get what you pay for.

So in terms of power and performance I think the US stuff is no different to the EU stuff, the majority of entry level cars are underpowered and lacking in performance so you need to get up a few models to see proper stuff appear. Sadly most of the hire companies only have the entry level rubbish.

By the way, the entry level mustang back in the 60's was only a 2.8l with 101hp, so again it was only the high end ones that were the true muscle cars.

Now I want a GT 500 :(

Specifications

• Front engine, RWD, 4 passenger, 2 door coupe
    • Supercharged DOHC 32 valve V8 engine
    • 330 CID (5408 cc) displacement
    • Power: 540 hp (410 kW) (550 CV)
    • Torque: 510 ft.-lbs.
    • 6 Speed Manual Transmission
    • 3.73 differential ratio
    • 18 x 9.5" Alcoa wheels on Goodyear F1 tires (front: P255/45ZR18 rear: 285/40/ZR18)
    • Tuned suspension by Shelby and Ford Racing
    • 3,800 lb (1,700 kg) curb weight
    • 107.1 in (2,720 mm) wheelbase
    • 188×73.9×54.5 in (4.78×1.88×1.38 m)

Performance

• 0-60 mph (0-97 km/h): 4.1s
    • 1/4 mile: 11.92s @ 120 mph (11.58 @ 122 mph on drag radials)
    gt500_stang.jpg

Advertisement