Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland losing faith in democracy?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Does anybody else feel that in view of our emphatic rejection of the Lisbon treaty, general outrage regarding the recent budget and the fact that support for Fianna Fáil and the Government is at an all-time low, that we as a nation are simply losing faith in democracy?

Does anyone find themselves becoming disillusioned by our Government and the EU's bullying bureaucracy?

(I'm aware I already posted this, but I think the first one's in the wrong forum...sorry!:o )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I voted yes, but I think the EU / Ireland handled the result of the referendum very badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would say democracy has looked a bit more lively lately.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vote09ireland

The Vote in june 09 is ireland's most important vote in Europe to date. ireland will decide what politicians it sends to the European like it has before.
    The reason that it is so important is that post lisbon allot of talk has been done and ireland has been critised and perhaps its standing in europe has taken a hit. A big turn out in june will show Europe that it voted against Lisbon, for whatever reason, but it didn't vote against europe. Ireland has a place in Europe Let it not be damaged by one vote against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

aine-maire wrote: »
    Does anybody else feel that in view of our emphatic rejection of the Lisbon treaty, general outrage regarding the recent budget and the fact that support for Fianna Fáil and the Government is at an all-time low, that we as a nation are simply losing faith in democracy?

Can't say that I agree with that. People are certainly disillusioned with the current incumbents of Leinster House, but that's nothing new. I for one will be paying much closer attention at the next election (a green voter with serious buyers remorse).

My only concern with Irish democracy is that I met a good number of people who treated Lisbon as a stick to beat the government with. Very dissapointing (not the result so much as some people's reasons for voting).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Well, I've always thought that democracy as it's currently implemented is far from ideal (Exhibit A: Fianna Fáil (and people's reasons for voting for), Exhibit B: Lisbon (and people's reasons for voting against)).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Democracy is fine in this country. FF have been in government for along time they have probably run there course. The PD's are done which is a shame, not because there policies are any good but I think the electorate need a chioce. FF and FG are almost identical. Nearly all there policies are the same.
    The rejection of the Lisbon Treaty was one of the best things to happen to this country. As it showed that we were not easily fooled by our politians, lobby groups and press. I am a no voter and I dont like the fact that before the election we were told that we would not have another vote. But because the gov lost we are now more than likely to have a re-run.
    Global capitalism is in deep trouble and we are in deeper trouble than most. Having relied on the property market for the last few years we are now in way over our heads. The debt this country is in will take along time to get out of. The Banks will have to be Nationalised in some way. The gov will call it injection of capital or some other name. What it really is, is welfare for millionares. I feel bad because I would always complain about people on the dole. But thats nothing compared to the banks with there incompetent leaders getting a state gaurautee give me a break. Why not help out Waterford Crystal, irish Steel and all those other white elephants?
    The Banking Industry has brought our country to the edge of the abyss. No apoligy no nothing from them. In the next few days this country could be bankrupt. Laissez-Faire capitalism is dead. We will be living in a democray in the coming years but the cry of let the market sort is dead. Labour and the left-wing parties deserve a go in government. But I am sure FF will manage to line up a few parties to go into gov with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

can't lose what you dont have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Huh?
    Bush's approval rating was around 50% during the 2004 presidential election.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gallup_Poll-Approval_Rating-George_W_Bush.png
    That's much higher than the current Irish governments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Your analogy doesn't work. Bush and Cheney weren't on the ticket in the 2008 Presidential election.
    If they had been, then we might see their unpopularity affecting turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Record numbers, perhaps, but that's only due to an increase in the number of people of voting age. As a % of possible voters the turnout is expected to have been around 62% - highish (one of the highest in the last 20 years anyway), but certainly not a "record".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The actual turnout is irrelevant if you're trying to find out the cause of a high turnout :)

I would imagine that the popularity of a government has very little bearing on the turnout, and more basic factors such as people's bottom lines would have a more dramatic effect. People aren't all that concerned with removing a government they don't like, provided that their job is safe and they can afford their lifestyle. I think the 2007 election demonstrated that quite well.

Advertisement