Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mark IV Golf - 1.6

Options
  • 18-11-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

The girlfriend is looking to buy a 03 or 04 Mark VI Golf, a 1.6 specifically. We've looked at a few and have seen a nice highline for a good price. The only thing that's bothering me is that I've heard from a few reliable sources (mechanics) that the 1.4 Mark IV engine is a bit of a pig and has problems burning oil amongst others. Does anyone know if this is true for the 1.6? Any opinions or information re good things/bad things about the 1.6 would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.6 litre petrol despite being an old 8 valve unit is actually one of the more reliable engines in the Golf range and a better buy than the 1.4 imo.

Just watch out for other known issues with MkIV Golfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just watch out for other known issues with MkIV Golfs.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Premature gearbox failure.

Smaller things:
    Bulbs in the rear lights need replacing very frequently,
    Water leaking into the boot via the rear windscreen wiper,
    Oxygen sensors such as lambda, throttle body and MAF can cause loss of power.
    Central locking issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

1.6 is a good model alright. Can drink a bit of petrol if you put the foot down, but that's expected with most "bigger" engines

bazz26 wrote: »
    Premature gearbox failure.

Smaller things:
    Bulbs in the rear lights need replacing very frequently,
    Water leaking into the boot via the rear windscreen wiper,
    Oxygen sensors such as lambda, throttle body and MAF can cause loss of power.
    Central locking issues.

Thanks, wasn't aware of these issues. Do you think a Ghia or Zetec Focus would be a better buy? We've had one in my family for about six years since new and it hasn't put a foot wrong. If I was choosing it would be top of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Thanks, wasn't aware of these issues. Do you think a Ghia or Zetec Focus would be a better buy? We've had one in my family for about six years since new and it hasn't put a foot wrong. If I was choosing it would be top of the list.

I'd say so anyway. They are more reliable, far better to drive and have a lot more style. You will also get a lot better value with one compared to the VW.

Unless your girlfriend has her heart set on a Golf (as most women do), I'd choose the Focus hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

think the '03 highline use's the 16v engine and is a very nice drive. I'd advise the gearbox is checked as they are a weak point also on ones coming up to 100k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

JJJJNR wrote: »
    think the '03 highline use's the 16v engine and is a very nice drive. I'd advise the gearbox is checked as they are a weak point also on ones coming up to 100k.

As far as i know from mid 02 the 1.6 is the 16 valve engine which is pretty good.would def go for it over the 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Would you consider the diesel version?

I have a 90bhp TDi & it has a good bit of power
    Very good MPG only downside is the tax = €560/year (1.9 litre engine)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I've driven the 1.6 a few times and thought it was a pig of an engine. It's in no way pokey or nippy and considering the amount of petrol it drinks - it makes no sense to buy it over the 1.4. The 1.4 is slightly slower, slightly - but insurance, petrol & tax will be cheaper.

In my opinion - obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

if i was buying a Mk4 golf again (I had a 110ps Tdi) it would be either a 130hp diesel or the 150hp 1.8T petrol GTi. The 1.8T is reliable apart from a couple of well recognised faults (coil packs, electronic ignition unit, turbo wastegate) and probably gives better MPG than the 1.6 which is a bit of a drinker. The 1.8T is actually a lot of fun to drive and there is little on the market to match its mix of performance and image for the money.

Caveat for all the golf haters: I know its not a great hot hatch, but its a good car:)

Thanks for the replies lads. If she gets a Golf the engine capacity can't be more than 1.6, it's her first car and the tax and insurance would be too expensive otherwise.

Another quick question. Do all MkIV 1.6 Highlines have a 16v engine? I thought that they did but a mate of mine thinks that the 16v engine was only introduced in 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'd say so anyway. They are more reliable, far better to drive and have a lot more style. You will also get a lot better value with one compared to the VW.

Unless your girlfriend has her heart set on a Golf (as most women do), I'd choose the Focus hands down.

+1. So much better than a golf in every way.

Advertisement