Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest Commute?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Right lets see who has the longest commute to UCD :)

Im gonna throw my name in the ring. I travel from Drogheda to UCD everyday which takes about three hours there and back.

Anybody else longer then that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

You deserve a can of coke!

Swords for myself, which because of the ridiculous Dublin Bus can take up to 2 hours each way depending on traffic..

You win though, how do you manage to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I cycle myself but 3 hours aint too bad considering the mileage involved. The rare occasion i get the 17 is an hour each way. You would definitely be one of the longest in terms of distance though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

Brimmy wrote: »
    You deserve a can of coke!

Swords for myself, which because of the ridiculous Dublin Bus can take up to 2 hours each way depending on traffic..

You win though, how do you manage to do it?

Usually train to Pearse then bus out to UCD. Its an actual pain in the ass. Im gonna go on the waiting list for on campus accomadation though and see if there are any cancelations over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Im gonna throw my name in the ring. I travel from Drogheda to UCD everyday which takes about three hours there and back.

Hah, I thought my 12 minutes by bike was bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Commuted from drog too for a year wasnt too pleasant. train is a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I get the 40/140 into town and then the 10 from town to UCD. Usually takes me over an hour altogether although if I'm lucky with buses I can do it in about 50 minutes.

I used to find the travel really tough going in first and second year. I'm used to it now though. I've heard people going through much worse. One girl told me she was coming up from Wexford which has got to be some commute every day. No way I could hack that.

MP3 player plus a bag of crisps keeps me going. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Brimmy wrote: »

Same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

from belfast for about a month

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I commute from Firhouse, which given how crap Dublin Bus is can take anything from 45 minutes to 2 hours. Though it's not as bad as it was a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I commute from Firhouse, which given how crap Dublin Bus is can take anything from 45 minutes to 2 hours. Though it's not as bad as it was a few years ago.

Firhouse is one of those funny places.
    It's pretty damn close to everything, but without a car, can take quite a while to get to anything :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Commute from there m'self, I cycle though. Usually fly down in about 30/35 mins which isn't too bad.

Even when it's pissing rain I prefer it over Dublin Bus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Crumlin, 20 minutes by bicycle... Not too bad. Where you coming from DelatBravo? You must be near me, I get the 17 sometimes if I'm feeling lazy but it actually involves getting up earlier so tend not to unless it's lashing...

Used to have a mate who lived in Ballyboghall out past Swords. There were only two buses a day out that far from town and he used to miss them regularly. After wearing out his welcome with various friends, he'd end up sleeping in a hidey-hole on campus somewhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I drive from firhouse in 10 minutes. Thats why I will NEVER get public transport to UCD no matter how bad parking gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Grimes wrote: »
    I drive from firhouse in 10 minutes. Thats why I will NEVER get public transport to UCD no matter how bad parking gets.

Of course, one of the reasons the buses take so long is the fact they get stuck in all the private traffic...? Bit of a chicken/egg situation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I can't drive and don't have a job to pay for a car (I don't have the time to work part-time with the 4th CS workload), driving isn't an option unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jenni-fabuloso

I get the 40/140 into town and then the 10 from town to UCD. Usually takes me over an hour altogether although if I'm lucky with buses I can do it in about 50 minutes.

I used to find the travel really tough going in first and second year. I'm used to it now though. I've heard people going through much worse. One girl told me she was coming up from Wexford which has got to be some commute every day. No way I could hack that.

MP3 player plus a bag of crisps keeps me going. :cool:

me 2!! its not 2 bad only if its rainin i dnt wanna go in!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I live in Rathfarnham and fastest i'd get in is bout 15 if i drove(at like 11 when there's no traffic, otherwise **** loads longer). And going in at 11 makes parking virtually impossible...

So, cycling ftw!

(more)OT, a guy i know commutes from Meath and is on track for a golden year:eek:(or semester at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Rush. 2 hours + daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Terenure. 7 Minutes via moped - One Hour each way via 17 if moped breaks down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

sandycove - an hour each way - but only 12 mins of that is actually on the train, the rest is walking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

betafrog wrote: »
    I've to drive in from Bird Avenue everyday..

Complete pain in the arse... If I'm lucky it takes about 30 seconds... If there's traffic I'm gonna be waiting a while and its anyones guess whether I'm gonna get in within 1 minute!

I hope youre joking

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

5 minutes

On-campus FTW.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I drive in from Greystones. Takes about 1 hour in rush hour, and about 25 mins after 10am. But again, if I go in after 9am, getting a parking spot is madness. I ended up going off campus today since I was quite late for work.

If I'm without the car, you're talking about a bus trip that'd take about an hour... when it shows up that is. Ah, the good 'oul 84.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

dundalk to ucd every day. I think i might win that one op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

5 minutes

On-campus FTW.:D
    +1
    I love being able to wake up 15 minutes before lectures if I have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Notorious wrote: »
    I drive in from Greystones. Takes about 1 hour in rush hour, and about 25 mins after 10am. But again, if I go in after 9am, getting a parking spot is madness. I ended up going off campus today since I was quite late for work.

If I'm without the car, you're talking about a bus trip that'd take about an hour... when it shows up that is. Ah, the good 'oul 84.

The 84 is a fecker of a bus to get. I can get that or the 145, but it fairly I see the 84.

I've gotten into UCD in 15 minutes (on the bus), though 90% of the time it takes around 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

I dont see why all you f**kers moaning about transpost that live fairly close (within half an hour) don't just cycle?? Far more efficeint and waaay quicker. Plus you save money....
    I've done them all, car, bus, and cycle, and cycling was by far the best. Get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

me 2!! its not 2 bad only if its rainin i dnt wanna go in!!:)

Yeah I really like the 140 bus. It means I can avoid the Whitworth Road which I really hated, especially coming back. Some nights I would be there for up to twenty minutes. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I leave Celbridge at 7.30 by car, sit in traffic all the way to m50, sit in traffic ON m50, sit in traffic all the way and arrive at 9am.

If you leave anytime after 7.30 it could be 10 o'clock by the time you arrive.

1.5 hour in the morning
    1.5+ int he evening

3 hour round trip 5 days a week.

MEH!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

So far Dundalk is the furthest in miles.Fair due to you for doin it. Drogheda is bad for me but Dundalk has to be worse.

Advertisement