Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times reports that all pistols are to be banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

From a pretty reliable political source.
    The powers that be are not too worried about SIGS,Walthers,CZs,etc.Except...you got it !!!the evillll black Glock9mm
    Glocks are the buzzword nowadays.Get rid of them and all will be well in La La happy clappy land that we once knew as Ireland.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

From the same source,Glock licsenses are being corralled in the DOJ/Gardai for "special treatment".Which could mean anything:eek:.Other version is it isnt Glocks but anything in 9mm para,the old military calibre BS:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Anyone heard or can verify on this???

Jeeze,maybe we should ban Lexus cars as well.As they are the preferred car of bling drug dealers.Or seris 3 BMWs as every "head" is known to drive them for gangland activity..

If this want so damn serious it would be patheically laughable.:(:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Slav wrote: »
    These figures seem too high to me... Also I thought that there are no concealed carry permits in NI for civilians, am I wrong? Maybe the figures above include the firearms of PSNI and army as well? Does anybody have a link to the official statistics on the number and types of handguns licensed in Northern Ireland?

A primary difference between the regulation of firearms in Northern Ireland and elsewhere in the British Isles is that personal protection is accepted as a "good reason" for the grant of a certificate, providing the applicant can show that they are threatened by terrorist activities. Most FACs issued for the possession of handguns are held for this purpose. At the end of 1996, 10,867 FACs were on issue in Northern Ireland for the purpose of personal protection. Typically, an FAC issued for this purpose authorises one pistol and 25 rounds of ammunition. A certificate holder is authorised to carry the gun loaded and on their person.

There are approximately 90,000 FACs on issue in Northern Ireland (1996)

http://www.cybershooters.org/law.htm#Northern%20Ireland%20-%20overview

Looking into getting more stats on gun ownership from the PSNI. It could be used to show our government how it was never a problem in NI...... well until this event happened! Gun dealer friend in NI is very worried about this and feels like it will be used to bring in a UK style ban :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I thought the number of PP FACs had fallen dramatically since the peace process got its legs though?

Sparks wrote: »
    I thought the number of PP FACs had fallen dramatically since the peace process got its legs though?

Sparks I cant be sure. Just from what a friend in the PSNI told me on this one. He told me the figures. He also said they are called out to on average to, two explosive devices every week:eek: Its just not reported in the press so that the "peace" process is seen as still working.

He said things are starting to hot up again there in a big way. Todays story may be proof of that.

Might be alot more happening behind closed doors then we think! But that would be government conspiracy theories :rolleyes:

Also all firearms in NI are ballistic tested inc rifles and pistols, to discourage terrorist use of them. Do we have that here?

Also all firearms in NI are ballistic tested inc rifles and pistols, to discourage terrorist use of them. Do we have that here?
    [/QUOTE]

Nope! And it is a kind of pointless exercise as well unless you are not going to allow any spare parts or new firearms into a controlled area.
    Germany tried this in the 70s and gave it up as being too unweildly,in space requirements,and the fact that you cannot regulate the use of files on critical ballistic parts.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    From a pretty reliable political source.
    The powers that be are not too worried about SIGS,Walthers,CZs,etc.Except...you got it !!!the evillll black Glock9mm
    Glocks are the buzzword nowadays.Get rid of them and all will be well in La La happy clappy land that we once knew as Ireland.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

From the same source,Glock licsenses are being corralled in the DOJ/Gardai for "special treatment".Which could mean anything:eek:.Other version is it isnt Glocks but anything in 9mm para,the old military calibre BS:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Anyone heard or can verify on this???

Jeeze,maybe we should ban Lexus cars as well.As they are the preferred car of bling drug dealers.Or seris 3 BMWs as every "head" is known to drive them for gangland activity..

If this want so damn serious it would be patheically laughable.:(:rolleyes:

None of this stuff can ever be verified because of the tortuous route it usually travels. Chinese whispers can lead to all kinds of misrepresentations and misapprehensions.

Having said that, it sounds a lot better than a total ban. Ridiculous and all as it sounds, would it be all that bad?

rrpc wrote: »
    Having said that, it sounds a lot better than a total ban. Ridiculous and all as it sounds, would it be all that bad?

The mister said a ban on all pistols over .22 and only in limited cases allow .22 for target shooting. If we fold now it will go the same way as the UK. Total Ban on handguns. What if a 40 cal hangun is used in a crime or .22 pistol? Or hunting rifle or even a shotgun?

Can I remind you of the ministers statement!

the Minister will keep under annual review, in consultation with
    the Garda Commissioner, the outcome of the licensing procedure and, if the
    outcome of that procedure leaves a situation which still poses an
    unacceptable risk to the community, will use new powers, which the Bill
    will contain, to ban outright any type of firearm.

Every gun in this sate is at risk of a ban. And I dont think the minister is going to back peddle anythime soon. I have invited my local Louth TDs and other pols to a day on the range in NI to show them how safe and friendly it is. No takers yet! Im trying to show them how it was never a problem during the troubles to be a licenced pistol owner.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had heard somthing simmilar so at least there are two or more confirmed stories,which takes it abit above the rumour stage.

Yeah,in THEORY it doesnt sound bad,get rid of a brand name.But what happens if the bad guys switch to SIGS,CZs,or some other brand??Does the same nonsense start again.???True the minister has this power already,but it is ludicris to suggest a brand name type of fire arm is the problem.You would have more credibility arguing that 9mm is a military /police calibre and should be restricted on that point [like in France or Italy].
    That would give us plenty of scope to use non military calibres,like 9x21mm,40S&W,10mm etc.

IF that was the case,AND those who have a 9mm liscense CAN exchange straight away for a non military calibre or a different brand name...I would consider it.But whats the reality of that happening????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

My (very reliable) information is that a deal has been struck with the DOJ yesterday. No particular "brands" will be targeted so Mr Glock can sleep safely in his bed with no fear of bankruptcy any time soon. However all 9mm licences currently issued will be safe and no further 9mm licences will issue from this point onward. And Practical Pistol will get it in the neck. End of.

Grizzly, TW, I'm sure you guys think your information is very reliable, but seriously folks, unless you're able to cite a source...
    ...well, let's just say I've heard sufficent rumours from very reliable sources over the years to have eventually figured out that rumours are rumours and fact is fact, no matter the source.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭copperdaz

its my understanding that the licences are going to expire and not be renewed. Also airsoft is going the way of the dinosaur...looks like one particular site has drawn attention on themselves.

i hear that licensing of firearms is to be moved to the dept of justice and not the guards they will be responsible for policing the licences that are already out there.

all hand guns will be going when licence expires. no new licences are being issued. unless its a sport pistol for sport shooting. unless you are in the employee with the state agencies eg guards, army.

and yes i have this on good authority.

and yes airsoft is a to be gone too.

As Sparks says, all rumours should carry a health warning.

Sometimes rumours start because somebody is flying a kite and that somebody could be anyone :)

Or it's somebodys wishful thinking that gets turned into a rumour by means of chinese whispers.

Or it's just rumour :p

The thing is, until we hear exactly whats going to happen from the Minister via the Department and the FCP, the rumours are going to be flying around like wildfire.

Best advice is take them all with a pinch of salt; might make them tastier :)

Good grief. I've just heard that from now on, any firearm licenced will have to be spray-painted pink to deter theft.

pink-gun.jpg

DDA%20CS%20Fuscia.jpg

pink_gun2.jpg

:D:D:D

They look dainty ;)

I like the one in the middle best.

Stylish!

The source (FCP) asked not to be quoted. It'll come out in a few days. There are very sensitive issues at play here that I wasn't aware of till now, these, thankfully will not be made public. Lets just say we've had a lucky escape. There's a reason licenced pistols were targeted. My own take on it is that the whole thing was orchestrated by forces in Phoenix Park who wanted the short stuff gone, day one. There's a hint in a picture published recently of a prominent Limerick gang-members tattoos. If you see the tatoos the whole thing comes together.;)

Ok we will see the new miscellaneous provision bill2009 to cover firearms is on the way. the info is in your local garda station its been put out bythe Dept of Justice as what the dept intend to do next year re: hand guns. the info is already out there just visit your local station and ask.

I thought that referred to the actual rights a suspect had when arrested by the Gardai. What the hell would it have to do with licenced firearms where there are no rights?

I thought that referred to the actual rights a suspect had when arrested by the Gardai. What the hell would it have to do with licenced firearms where there are no rights?

i this a question for me?

• Advertisement

No copper, to TW.

No copper, to TW.

no worries...

It's about the acquisition of the firearm in the first place. If a person hasnt been convicted of anything yet can they be prevented from obtaining a licence provided they meet with all the other conditions. The Phoenix Park agenda here is that the boys in blue know he's gonna do something stupid and public with it and bring the whole issue of shortstuff into the public domain where the politicos are waiting with speeches prepared since summer... It was all rigged. It was just a matter of who was gonna get shot and when it was gonna happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There's a reason licenced pistols were targeted.

Yes, because theyr're easy to target and look like they're doing something. What's news?

NTM

LOVE the Barbie pistols!
    Just make sure this one doesn't get her hands on one!
    18264gangstabitchbarbiesk8.th.jpg
    URL%5D

If a person hasnt been convicted of anything yet can they be prevented from obtaining a licence provided they meet with all the other conditions.
    YES.

Ahem. Sorry, but yes, of course they can. And don't have to tell him/her why. And this point was specifically raised in the Dail during the debates on the Criminal Justice Bill 2004 between then-Minister McDowell and FG's Brendan Howlin: we covered it in the CJB thread here

But what if they WANTED this to happen?

TW, I don't follow - they already can refuse a licence to anyone who's got a connection to anything shady, and with the restricted list in place, wouldn't need to give the reason to that person. I personally think that that's rather an anathema, but the fact is it's there in law and explicitly so, and explicitly for that reason and it was known at a ministerial level, so why on earth would the "Know your Rights" quip have any bearing on things? Besides which, if you read the start of the dail debate linked to there, the Minister explicitly makes the point that there are no rights involved in firearm ownership in Ireland.

Besides which, it strikes me that it's far more likely to refer to the right to silence or some other right that suspects have in a Garda interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

But what if they WANTED this to happen?

So this has all been because some Limerick gangster type got a licence for a pistol?

• Advertisement

This is all a bit mad Ted :)

Seriously though, there hasn't been an FCP meeting yet, so attributing this to the FCP is a bit off.

I'd rephrase that to someone who's on the FCP rather than giving the impression that it has come from the FCP because it patently hasn't.

Or leave the FCP out of it altogether because it's not the source of this rumour.

Advertisement