Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tomorrow's the big day!

• 18-11-2008 11:56pm

Well tomorrow we'll see our X-Box systems lose their old blades system to a more Vista like approach to console life.

In light of that, I'm starting a thread to find Boardsies first impressions of this shiny new OS.

I've made my feelings known about this on previous threads, I wait to be proven wrong (maybe I just really like the blades...!).

The thing I'm most curious about though is the level of customisation we'll be allowed with on designing the Avatars, and how much stuff (if any) will be given to us by having completed achievements on games (e.g. get a Lancer gun from GOW for your Avatar).

Anyways, it'll be interesting as always to hear your opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Doomofman

I wish it would come online at midnight.. but it wont... I'm dying to us it.. Looks impressive even if they have blatently ripped off Nintendo with the avatars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I just really hope that the game installs result in a much quieter console. I just hate how loud the 360 is and it distracts me so much that I almost never play it. If this upgrade makes it significantly quieter I may actually play it for the first time since about May!

Otherwise I'm selling it and getting a PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I can't connect to live at the moment, but in my oipinion it is a step forward. I was hoping though for a bit more than just avatars, maybe something more along the lines of PS3's HOME. Now that imo would be something worth doing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Should be a good update :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Actually looking forward to this as well. Hopefully it'll live up to all the hype surrounding it. The installation will hopefully make the machine quieter. My Inside xbox has been down for the last few days, hopefully to get it all ready for tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

It's due at 10am tomorrow.

Really looking forward to this update. Just hope theres no issues with it.
    I suppose thats why the had the beta though so should be grand.

10 a.m? Cheers, was wondering what time we could expect the update at!

I appreciate that the new functionality will probably make a vast difference to the X Boxes performance, and that it's needed in terms of handling the new content.

So in that respect, I'm looking forward to the new system.

I just hope I can do something with my Avatar to separate from my Mii!

And I'll really miss the old blade system... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

The HDD install better make the console quieter... It's too loud.

Love the interface plus avatars too. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Iv had the nxe update for about a month and believe me it is quieter..put it this way,its the noise your xbox makes while no game is in the xbox after you install the game...The one bad thing i have noticed is that the guide button freezes a good bit propably because it needs more memory.Oh and the miis do suck...sigh i wish there was an option not to have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Had this a few weeks since it got leaked. Can't say I'm too pushed about the new interface, it's better than the old one but then so is anything. It's still a long way behind the competition in terms of looks and navigation, but I don't consider it that important anyway.

What is important is the install feature, which is fantastic. I can actually play Fallout 3 now! As I'm in a shared house I could never turn up the TV loud enough to actually hear dialogue over the turbines spinning inside the 360, but now it's almost as quiet as my other consoles and it's actually usable again, so all in all I'm happy with the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I'd be over the moon if we could revert back if we didn't like it... I'm looking forward to it but I still really like the blades as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

god's toy wrote: »
    I'd be over the moon if we could revert back if we didn't like it... I'm looking forward to it but I still really like the blades as they are.

You havn't even given it a chance yet!! :D
    Some people hate change don't they?

I reckon it'll be better than the blades and I actually think that there is like a mini blades system incorporated into the interface for like shortcuts and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

I've been using the leaked version alright. I like the new interface but I can see some people not being too hot on it.

The install to HDD thing is fantastic though. The fan noise reduction when playing fallout 3 has saved me no end of grief with she who must not be disturbed.

Finally, a quiet 360 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Now all they have to do is send us silencers for our fans and 3 ?? years after it has been released they'll have finished the design of the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Anybody know if the rumoured 60Gib HD + 3 month Live cheap upgrade are on sale yet?

I stupidly got a 20Gib instead of a fecking Elite and I'm running really low on space so don't know I will even be able to install one game.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

It's up now, try testing your network connection to force download it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Cool, will have to wait until this evening to check it out....

How come you have to force download it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We can still play games on the console though can't we, it's not just about playing dressing up with the dolls now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

robinph wrote: »
    We can still play games on the console though can't we, it's not just about playing dressing up with the dolls now?

Good one! I'm not a fan of those avatars either, but i haven't got the update yet, so will give them a chance before completely condemning them....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I fail to see the big deal microsoft are making about this.
    Sure it looks better but big deal.
    The biggest plus is the ability to install games to HD which they say will quiten down the console and improve loading times,if so then its a big thumbs up from me.
    Im installling cod4 to HD atm.

Edit: installed cod4 and yes its a lot quieter, cant say i noticed faster loading ,then again cod4 was never slow to load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

given we don't get netflix here, i think some of the major benefits are missing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Didn't know about the installing games to HDD. Sounds good to me. How long does it take to install to the hard drive.

Does it mean you can play without a disk or just in the way that a PC game works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

RichTea wrote: »
    Didn't know about the installing games to HDD. Sounds good to me. How long does it take to install to the hard drive.

Does it mean you can play without a disk or just in the way that a PC game works.

Fallout 3 took me around 6/7mins. You have to have the disk in the drive to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ok 1st stupid question about this:

how the hell do you launch a game without opening the tray from the dash ???:confused:

edit : nevermind its on the guide button

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

how much space would a game take up on the HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

calex71 wrote: »
    ok 1st stupid question about this:

how the hell do you launch a game without opening the tray from the dash ???:confused:

Well, assuming you have the game in there. Go to the My Xbox channel and in the first panel it should say Play "X" whatever game X may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Indie18 wrote: »
    how much space would a game take up on the HD.

Anywhere from 4-7gb from the games I've installed so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

rizzla wrote: »
    Well, assuming you have the game in there. Go to the My Xbox channel and in the first panel it should say Play "X" whatever game X may be.

Yes i see it there now just wasnt there right after the update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

installing games is very fast, thought it would take ages but no, just over 5 mins. What are peoples first impression????

Advertisement