Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tomorrow's the big day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

So any problems yet? I was going to wait a few days as I remember hearing that a few ps3 died after its last big update but i know as soon as I go home I won't be able to resist the nerdy urge to update. Hopefully the long beta testing ironed out all the bugs but these are the same people responsible for Windows after all...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The update has been out for weeks, just most people have not had access to it yet. Doubt there are going to be any problems with the consoles due to the update, although plenty of people will blame it for something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Very impressed so far. The HDD install feature is a gift. Much quieter now when playing games.

i like it alot, all though my avatar looks like a complete fag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

all though my avatar looks like a complete fag.

+1.
    Will get used to the new UI over time but these avatars take the biscuit.

BTW will my gamertag below change automatically at some stage to the new look or do I have to do something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Linku wrote: »
    It's up now, try testing your network connection to force download it :)

I can't Download the update. I checked the network connections and they're all fine except for Xbox Live.

I keep getting the option to download but when i try it says Update failed.

Can someone help, and also how do ya force Download it?

Edit: Just saw the sticky and it's working now:)

Just installed it a few minutes ago.

Ok, first off - to my surprise, I quite like the new interface, especially the "in game" blades system.

Haven't tried installing any games yet to HD.

There don't seem to be any "special / achievement" customised stuff for the avatar, which I'm quite disappointed with, though hopefully that will coem with time, and will read existing achievements (I know that when the PS3 got it's "trophies" you didn't get them unless you played though all your games AGAIN).

Another question, hopefully someone will be able to answer. What's happened my gamer pic - I know that I've created a new one, but I thought that my old one could be incorporated somehow into my new Mii I mean Avatar.

Instead I can't even find it! I paid for that bloody pic pack!!!! :mad: (Admittadly not much, but the point remain the same!)

+1.
    Will get used to the new UI over time but these avatars take the biscuit.

BTW will my gamertag below change automatically at some stage to the new look or do I have to do something??
    it should, think they all temporarily went to default gamertags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Nothing to do. Mygamercard.net are working on it.

http://www.mygamercard.net/#nhttp://inside.mygamercard.net/2008/11/18/xboxcom-updates-play-tricks-on-mgc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Indie18 wrote: »
    how much space would a game take up on the HD.

Here's a list.

This update is going to make me finally upgrade to a larger harddrive, the difference in noise coming from the console while playing a ripped game in incredible! Now off to look for a 120GB at a reasonable price...

Edit: Holy crap, what a markup on the hard drives! Almost worth me buying a new 360 instead, just incase this one fails :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I know nobody here would dream of doing such a thing. But what would prevent someone from going to Xtravision or wherever, renting a load of games, them sticking them on the Xbox HDD?

moz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

moz wrote: »
    I know nobody here would dream of doing such a thing. But what would prevent someone from going to Xtravision or wherever, renting a load of games, them sticking them on the Xbox HDD?

moz

You still need the disc in the drive to play the game, the same as games installed on a PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

moz

The fact that you still need the disc in the drive in order to play... MS can be dumb, but not quite that dumb:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The fact that you need a copy of the game in the DVD drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

God I hope that question stops getting asked soon, I've seen it so many times already :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

moz

Disc still has to be in the drive. Its running off the HDD, but you still need the physical copy of the game in the console too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

moz

the fact that it prompts to enter the original disk for verification when you launch a game from the HDD. they microsoft, not the salvation army...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Ahh right. Now I see.
    Sorry if I've asked a dumb question :o.

moz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

What the heck is going on with the XNA community games? Are they only available in the US?

• Advertisement

Okay, the weirdest thing just happened.

Had the X box on, and was reading a another long thread that concerns me on the shooting forum. As a result, the X box was sitting idle on the dashboard for about ten minutes.

All of a sudden, the "shelf" the X box is on started to buzz like mad - the X box had started to spin the disk rapidly or something. Anyway, it REALLY didn't sound good, so I turned it off.

Then I posted this! Now I'm wondering if this has something to do with the new OS (as in a bug), or (worse still), indicative of a more serious problem?

Ok, will have to turn it back on now. Wish me luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Good luck! I had a scare with my own one recently. playing with the brick of the power supply at my feet (it was warm, I was cold!) and got the rrod because the plug cable had fell out of the brick slightly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I've spent the morning playing around with the update.
    Overall its ok, installing the games is brilliant. Definatly makes the xbox so much quieter when playing.

The Jury's still out on the new layout tho. I still kinda miss the blades!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I really am missing the point .

Yeah its quiet - whoooppdeedoo shoulda been quiet to start with

Dress up avatar - WTF ?

New interface see point 1 - I dont see ant major advantage other than ..."its quiet my flat mates will be happy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

One of the first thinks I did when I got my XBox was to turn off the sounds on the blade menus.....
    Trev M wrote: »
    I really am missing the point .

Yeah its quiet - whoooppdeedoo shoulda been quiet to start with

Dress up avatar - WTF ?

New interface see point 1 - I dont see ant major advantage other than ..."its quiet my flat mates will be happy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    One of the first thinks I did when I got my XBox was to turn off the sounds on the blade menus.....

Didnt know you could turn that off!

Can you turn off notifications when friends come online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

have to say im quite pleased with it. the party system is great, finally up to 8-way chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hmm really odd, I've got 39 new friends in my friends list that were not there before the update... WTF went on there? Anyone??

Yea I do like the new look, nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

i would assume that you can still play games without having to install them cause right now i don't have all that much space on my hard drive for istalling games on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's optional.

Advertisement