Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tomorrow's the big day!

Comments

Finally no more fcukin read errors for Gears Of War 2...really starting to piss me off but was too lazy tg take it back..now i can just install it :D

And jesus Shifty...of all the monitors to pick...bad luck
    calex71 wrote: »
    Ah of all the shi%&y things to go and happen, thats a major buzz kill right there

It appears I'm not alone........

http://forums.xbox.com/24127296/ShowPost.aspx

Edit: 911 posts.......off to the conspiracy theory forums with me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

the install to hdd is a good feature, and the only feature of thisd update.

The change about on the layout is gimmicky, over rated, compeltely pointless, and my god a complete steal from wii's, id be suprised if they dont get sued.

The whole avatar thing is a joke... I would have appreciated more if they alloed you upload your own pics instead of these stupid things.

And I've had numerous freezes, and i was only on to install update as i dont use xbox anymore. Awful waste... I liked old system, its what set it apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Pointless update, and I fúcking hate the avatars. Completely ripped off Nintendo and they're for children. I know that's why they're there (to steal the kiddy market from Nintendo), but why the fúck can't you just turn them off?

Pointless update, and I fúcking hate the avatars. Completely ripped off Nintendo and they're for children. I know that's why they're there (to steal the kiddy market from Nintendo), but why the fúck can't you just turn them off?

I think you might be able to - sorry don't know how though. Will PM you if I figure it out.

As I posted in another thread a minute ago, it's this sort of thing that I think we need a sticky on NXE for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

since the update is anyone else getting disconnected from live occasionnaly?

I never had a issue with it disconnected before...but once i got the update, it happened once last night, didnt mind that...its was just once..

But it keeps happening this evening, getting a tad annoying:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I really like the update. Its refreshing and cool to mess about with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I like the new update. Even the avatars which I thought would be for kids. Well i'm a big kid and I like it. The new GUI is easy to use you can access your media easier. You can reply to messages faster when playing multiplayer with the the new mini old dash. (if that makes any sense). As for the HDD installs. Not going to bother. My 360 is silent when playing anyway. As I've slowed down the read speed to x5.

My girlfriend who only uses the 360 to watch movies and media streamed from my PC like it too. She finds it easy to navigate. All in all apart from those with bugs and RROD I like the new NXE. And theres more to follow. Not all the features have been added yet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

I'm pleased overall with the update. Videos wouldn't play from my USB drive until after I reinstalled the media codecs, and now that you mention it I was disconnected from Live once today.

However being able to install to HD makes such a difference. I had to throw in the 2nd Lost Odyssey disc and OMG the noise, quickly removed the first disc's install, installed the second and ahh all quiet again. Brilliant "feature" (inverted commas because it should have always had this)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Epitaph wrote: »
    Brilliant "feature" (inverted commas because it should have always had this)!

Thats what we get for Microsoft trying to market the Core versions for a few quid cheaper.

Seems the NXE doesn't like Fallout 3, keeps crashing and slowing down.

Though the god game using the avatars is kinda fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I was listening to the platform biased(podcast) major nelson was on there talking about the avatars saying nintendo came to them at E3 and said we copied the avatar idea from some where else and expanded on them thats what MS are doing expanding trying to get into a different market with families and all that. Your mother sees the blades? "whats this eh?" she sees the avatars "aww thats nice" It makes sense for them to do it. They are a business after all. You cant say when your in a full party and they all do the mexican wave it isn't funny lol.

As he puts it "its a graphical representation of everyone whos had gamertags for years and years"

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The avatars are the only think I dislike about NXE. I thought it was going to suck, but the menus are very wekk laid out and the market place is now much better integrated (for example, you san see what downloads are available for each of your games when you bring that game up).

Very pleased indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Seems the NXE doesn't like Fallout 3, keeps crashing and slowing down.

havent had that problem....yet. i'm still playing from disc. did u install it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

The change about on the layout is gimmicky, over rated, compeltely pointless, and my god a complete steal from wii's, id be suprised if they dont get sued.

Prepare to be surprised :P

While the avatars are an obvious rip off (and improvement I might add) of the miis, the gui is nothing like it. In fact it has more in common with Media Center, or if you want to compare to another console, the PS3 due to its moving up and down, left and right through connected menus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

I'm happy enough with the new menu, though it does seem a bit pointless to change it so much, the old navigation was fine i thought. I have mixed feeling about the avatars, because I hated the Mii idea but at least the avatars are less cartoony and deformed looking (although the difference there is probably because MS are American and Nintendo Japanese - the Miis are a very Japanese style). Its a blatant rip off though regardless, even the music and menu sounds while creating your avatar are VERY similar to the Wii.

Installing games seems to be the only other feature worth mentioning really. I'll be using it myself, but the 360's noise never bothered me as I usually play games with volumn up, earphones or with music playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

its a great improvement - I couldn't give 2 hoots about the avatars/miis but the new UI is class. Its slick and fast and intuitive, what a good UI should be.

browsing movies is nice too, its just a pity we cant get a netflix service here - bit of a sparse collection and bugger all tv shows :-/ The content in general is a lot more structured.

when I saw the previews I was unimpressed but playing around with it for a while I can see the added benefits. how anyone prefers the blades is beyond me?! The speed improvement alone makes this update worthwhile and the HD install makes it essential. Everything else is an improvment as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Lovin the new look, a lot sharper than the old blades, was never a fan of those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

00sully wrote: »
    its a great improvement - I couldn't give 2 hoots about the avatars/miis but the new UI is class. Its slick and fast and intuitive, what a good UI should be.

browsing movies is nice too, its just a pity we cant get a netflix service here - bit of a sparse collection and bugger all tv shows :-/ The content in general is a lot more structured.

when I saw the previews I was unimpressed but playing around with it for a while I can see the added benefits. how anyone prefers the blades is beyond me?! The speed improvement alone makes this update worthwhile and the HD install makes it essential. Everything else is an improvment as well :)

Yeah its good and way more responsive except for the friends section which just sucks balls TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

brim4brim wrote: »
    Yeah its good and way more responsive except for the friends section which just sucks balls TBH.

I love the avatar guys, I can see myself doing regular costume changes! Managed to get the guy looking very close to me and wearing an exact outfit that I wear quite regularly.

Anybody else laugh out loud when they went to their friends list and saw the Offline people's avatars sleeping?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Whats the stroy with installing games to the hard drive. Could i go rent a game install it on my xbox leave the game back to the shop where i rented it come back and still be able to play the game from the xbox without the disc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Whats the stroy with installing games to the hard drive. Could i go rent a game install it on my xbox leave the game back to the shop where i rented it come back and still be able to play the game from the xbox without the disc ?

Try it and see what happens:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

Yeah it'll work grand Microsoft like giving away free stuff sure. Also if you shout xbox at the top of your voice 500 times in a row a brand spanking new elite will drop into your lap as if by magic. Give it a go!!! :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Try it and see what happens:rolleyes:.
    emurphy wrote: »
    Yeah it'll work grand Microsoft like giving away free stuff sure. Also if you shout xbox at the top of your voice 500 times in a row a brand spanking new elite will drop into your lap as if by magic. Give it a go!!! :D :rolleyes:

Jesus boys i was only asking a question no need to be **** about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i dont understand why there was hype about this

its quite possibly the single most pointless sidedate ive ever seen

The hype over the NXE as a whole or the installs?

Basically I couldn't care less about the update except for the installs. The noise of the 360 never bothered me much but being able to install the game and play it in near silence is nice. Also you are less likely to get a RROD as the DVD drive which generates a good bit of heat is now not active most of the time, the drive happens to sit above the GPU adding heat to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jesus boys i was only asking a question no need to be **** about it!
    Well it has been asked and answered a fair few times, in fairness. Plus, it's the internet. Making fun of anonymous people increases the size of your e-penis, smelly-head! :D

When you install a game you still need to have the game disk in the console for it to play. It just doesn't access the game during play, so isn't spinning all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bah.. my avatar still isn't showing in my GamerTag sig.

Any suggestions why? Have one made.. am connected to XBox Live etc.

basquille wrote: »
    Bah.. my avatar still isn't showing in my GamerTag sig.

Any suggestions why? Have one made.. am connected to XBox Live etc.

Its MS's servers, they're still adjusting to the change over. I had mine on the 19th changed my avatar and it took till yesterday to change in my sig and I just went back to the old style.

Its MS's servers, they're still adjusting to the change over. I had mine on the 19th changed my avatar and it took till yesterday to change in my sig and I just went back to the old style.
    Yeah.. I know there was teething problems initially, but I see people over at the XBox forums and the MyGamercard forum who had problems are all fixed by now.

Can't see anyone still with blank avatars... that's why it makes me think it's just me! :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

My avatar is scarily close to the real thing.

Could do with a better selection of hats... the female avatars have more hats... it's not fair.

• Advertisement

Same as.. uncanny!

Advertisement