Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demitri Martin

• 19-11-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else like this guy? only heard about him a few months ago but really like what I've seen so far, the flip chart set is brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmahD_EbHY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

He's very good. Understated delivery.
    Jarlath Regan did a strangely similar gag to some of Demetri Martins on the Panel recently.

See this one yet?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiFrfeJ8dKM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah thats great, his timing is fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bah, Demitri Martin has nicked more than a couple of Mitch Hedberg jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tetsuo_83

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ha, thats exactly what I told krudler yesterday, I do like Demitri Martin but theres something more natural (probably the drugs :D) about Hedbergs delivery, and his willingness to make an ass of himself and try jokes that havent been rehearsed onfront of a mirror repeatedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tetsuo_83 wrote: »
    Ha, thats exactly what I told krudler yesterday, I do like Demitri Martin but theres something more natural (probably the drugs :D) about Hedbergs delivery, and his willingness to make an ass of himself and try jokes that havent been rehearsed onfront of a mirror repeatedly.

Quiet you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I'd seen his heckler demolition before but hadn't gone further.
    Great one-liners alright. Not as "polished" as Demetri Martin - a diamond in the rough (terrible pun accidental, honest).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

As i said before in one of the other threads
    I've seen people say this before. What jokes has Demetri ever stolen from Mitch?

I know they share a similar style(i.e one liners) and all but I really don't think Demetri gets the credit he deserves sometimes. His show 'If I', while not entirely stand up in the traditional sense, is incredible. I think that its great that there's someone out there now who can hold a candle to Mitch, and Demetri Martin does more than that imo. The way people talk about him sometimes you'd swear he was Dane Cook

I mean Mitch is my favourite comedian ever, but i don't hold anything against Martin just because they're alike. He may come out with similar musings but with two people who seem to think in the same kind of lines I think it's reasonable that this might happen. And the only joke that i've heard of Demetri 'ripping' off is the 'what size are you?...actual' one, which could easily have been thought of separately.

In conclusion. Yeah, i think Demetri Martin is hilarious, he's an extremely intelligent comedian and one of the best in the world atm IMO. Those people that do like him and don't know any Mitch Hedberg, certainly check him out and enjoy both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ok off the top of my head demitri took:

"what size...actual"
    "10,000 word jigsaw puzzle that when you finish it says go outside"
    "every book is a childrens book if the kid can read"
    "rice is great when you are hungry and you want 2,000 of something"
    "escalator.....temporarly stairs"

he also took emo philips joke about my computer beat be at chess but it was no match for me at kickboxing"

so theres 6 randomly off the top of my head! im pretty sure there is more!

"what size...actual"

he also took emo philips joke about my computer beat be at chess but it was no match for me at kickboxing"

so theres 6 randomly off the top of my head! im pretty sure there is more!

Wow that is bad i have to say. Didn't realise that as I've only ever heard Mitch say those jokes so I'll take your word for it.

Certainly does bring him down a good bit in my estimation. If only just because he has no need to steal jokes, he has plenty of great ones himself. And as i already said, If I is a fascinating show and a deserving winner of the Perrier award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

You're totally condradicting yourself - how is he deserving is he steals material?

How do you know the other material you believe to be his isn't somebody elses too?

Where's Joe Rogan when you need him??

• Advertisement

squidgey wrote: »
    You're totally condradicting yourself - how is he deserving is he steals material?

How do you know the other material you believe to be his isn't somebody elses too?

Where's Joe Rogan when you need him??

The show I'm talking about doesn't contain any of this material from what i can remember, therefore I think it deserved it based on its merit as a stand alone show.

And yes you're right it could be someone elses but i sincerely doubt it. If you've seen it for the most part he talks about himself and how his mind works. Its actually one of the most personal stand up routines I've seen so if he did steal it then he's pretty much just stealing someone elses mind:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If I isn't just one of the best stand-up routines I've ever seen, it's an amazing piece of work and thought. I seriously doubt any of it can be stolen just because of the nature of the show, like playa3 said in order to steal any of that stuff he would have to have stolen someone elses mind!

No idea about the Mitch thing though, haven't seen enough of either to make a fair and informed comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

"what size...actual"

Yo can you point me to the Dimitri Martin CD/performance where he does these? A quick google turned up nothing... but I don't wanna dismiss you out of hand, knowwhatimsayin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

It's a little known fact that Mitch Hedberg actually died from overdosing on his latent psychic powers to steal Demetri Martin's jokes from the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

SlimJ wrote: »
    Yo can you point me to the Dimitri Martin CD/performance where he does these? A quick google turned up nothing... but I don't wanna dismiss you out of hand, knowwhatimsayin?

The first is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiFrfeJ8dKM @ 6.17.

I'm certain I've heard him say the last two as well, not arsed listening through any more lacklustre comedy at 5.55 am though. :p

Advertisement