Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crimecall discussing headlights

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Crimecall were just discussing headlights not on and broken bulbs.

FINALLY.

And Fog Lights!!

"Quotes"

High wattage bulb he says but he is reffering to the rear fog lights. He did not refer to front fog lights at all.

"Check your lights on a regular basis"

Tell a colleague and friend or relation.

He also spoke about cars driving with only one light working BUT he refferd to it as a missing sidelight. Knob!

Do not ignore it as you could have a very serious collision.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

ye just watched that ,they used the same car for their examples with the reg plates blurred out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

markos79 wrote: »
    ye just watched that ,they used the same car for their examples with the reg plates blurred out :D

Yes the good oul focus which is usually the criminal in the fog light debacle because of the lighting switch in those cars. I had one and have made that mistake.

I actually left my fogs on for around 300 mtrs the other day in heavy traffic. I felt so guilty and a hypocrate. In my defense when the wheels and steering wheel are pointing straight I cannot see the switch down right of the keys in the Audi which means I cannot see the amber light showing the fogs were on. There is no dash indication.

Whilst I was going down a slip road last night onto a dual carraigeway a Suzuki jeep was in front of me with a household type light on the roof pointing back.(like a motion detector light).

Suddenly boom it came on as bright as somebody with 100w full beam right in front of you. I was blinded. I had to slow down and flashed my lights furiously. They eventually switched off the lights and then gave it two flashes to say sorry. WTF are they thinking with that monster of a light on their mini-me jeep? Off topic. SOS

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭spree

What about does ultra white lights alot of cars have these days, not sure if there those extra bright osram I,ve seen in Halfords are they legal or are they just not fitted right. I find them blinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

spree wrote: »
    What about does ultra white lights alot of cars have these days, not sure if there those extra bright osram I,ve seen in Halfords are they legal or are they just not fitted right. I find them blinding.

I reckon thats HIDs your on about!

spree wrote: »

As long as they are 55 watt then they are fine. Halfords have 100watt for non road use but they sell them anyway in ultra white, xenon and ice blue and standard halogen.

Osram are not brighter if they are still 55 watt. I have them and know my bulbs. Its the arc of white and the distance it goes, it has nothing to do with the massive burst of light from your headlights. The light is direct pointed as long as your lights are mounted correctly.

HID's are not any brighter than halogens at all. Their arc is much longer and because they are normally behind a projector lamp people assume that because of the rainbow/crystal type effect off them that there is something amuck. The bulbs are very powerful and long lasting and as long as they are a low KN rating then the light will only be a more crisper white. There are HID conversion kits on the market which can be given a higher KN ratio which means the higher you go on the scale the blue-purple the bulb gets which can be annoying for drivers.

Bear in mind in 1952ish the first cars were fitted with halogen lights and people complained that they were being dazzled. We are going through the same thing now with HID's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

markos79 wrote: »
    Did they use a Micra?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Whilst I was going down a slip road last night onto a dual carraigeway a Suzuki jeep was in front of me with a household type light on the roof pointing back.(like a motion detector light).

Suddenly boom it came on as bright as somebody with 100w full beam right in front of you. I was blinded. I had to slow down and flashed my lights furiously. They eventually switched off the lights and then gave it two flashes to say sorry. WTF are they thinking with that monster of a light on their mini-me jeep? Off topic. SOS

Criminals do that so the cops cant keep up with them, they probably mistook you for the feds.,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^^ always Micras with the front fogs permanently on in my experience. Apparently they have a stupid switch layout that causes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

AT LAST I get to rant about bloody headlights!

The number of cars I've seen over the last couple of years with only one working headlight is astounding and I've no doubt that the reason for this is people buying the cheapest bulbs they can get their hands on. Isn't this an NCT failure? Does it even pass as a roadworthy vehicle?

Just the other day, I saw someone driving a green-coloured car with green tinted halogens - it was as if they'd stuck coloured cellophane to them yet it was the bulbs which were designed to do that. Years ago I saw indicators covered with blue plastic to match the colour of the car. Needless to say it not only looked idiotic but dangerous too (green indicators). Then there's replacing orange bulbs with clear ones

I've been distracted by the rainbow effect of halogens many times too, even just walking on the path. Yes, the colder white is much clearer but the extra bits are just annoying!

Did no-one learn their lesson when Miley crashed into a ditch in Glenroe because the oncoming tractor thought his single headlight was a bike's??

It is what it's.

oneweb wrote: »
    AT LAST I get to rant about bloody headlights!

Isn't this an NCT failure? Does it even pass as a roadworthy vehicle?

Years ago I saw indicators covered with blue plastic to match the colour of the car. Needless to say it not only looked idiotic but dangerous too (green indicators). Then there's replacing orange bulbs with clear ones

I've been distracted by the rainbow effect of halogens many times too, even just walking on the path. Yes, the colder white is much clearer but the extra bits are just annoying!

Its a visual failure in the NCT. You simply have to replace the bulb and bring it back. Guy comes out nods and goes back in to print of certificate.

I am imagine you saw indicators in blue on a Honda Civic. My brother had this. It was contravening road traffic laws but hey he was 19 with a civic. What can you do?

You can also get your lights "dusted" in the colour of your car. This is perfectly legal because the light is still emmited through the clusters.

I had diadem indicators in my car prior to this one. There is no point in the Audi because of the colour of the lens. Using a diadem basically means you eradicate the "fried egg effect" a lot of cars have. They are made by Osram and are E marked.

Green Cellophane. Fire waiting to happen. :D

The rainbow effect from halogen(which are standard bulbs in 90% of cars) are caused by the projector headlights. They are in a lot of cars these days. It a standard bulb behind a concave lense forcing the light onto the road in a specific arc. IMO they provide less light but car manufacturer dont listen to the likes of me. Fiat punto's had something worse. It was a light prism in front of the bulb unit causing the light to flick out in different colours. Pain in the Ass. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement