Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish Gamer Collapses After 24 Hr Marathon

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20081118/twl-gamer-collapses-after-24hr-stint-3fd0ae9.html

The 15-year-old had reportedly invited several friends round to his house in Laholm, western Sweden, for an epic bout on the newly-released version of the game, Wrath of the Lich King.

He collapsed and had to be taken to hospital after suffering symptoms that reportedly resembled those of an epileptic fit.

"They played all day and all night. Maybe they got a few hours of sleep. They ate a little food and breakfast at their computers," the boy's father told a local newspaper.

What do people think about this? Does this seem seriously excessive or have you yourself got so wrapped up into the game that you haven't noticed the time pass...its not the first time reports like this have happened.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JTD.Vapour

Sad people shouldnt let this happen. only a game ffs.

off topic. the "warcraft" forum is for warcraft 3 the rts game. Not the MMO which this clearly relates to.

-VaPz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Moving to WoW forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Great job dad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Woden wrote: »

+1

What a total wuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i did level 67-70 in one session on my first char less than a week after it was released.. in about 30 hours straight

what a lightweight indeed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I fail to see why you lads brag about long sittings of wow.
    There is such a thing called moderation,those that raced to 80 dont understand this or else they have no life :)
    Then again if i had more time id play more :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 asmo

this is just lol playing too much of the game then collapsing, seriously come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Homeboy should have got some redbull. I did thursday morning from 2am untill sunday mid morning. Dont see me keeling over, ta fuck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some great parenting going on there. Should have done what my Dad used to do and just flip the circuit breaker if I won't get off the computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Woden wrote: »

You can talk, you where always asleep first at the TiG Lans. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

You can talk, you where always asleep first at the TiG Lans. :p

Pity the one that was planned for launch didnt go through :( woulda been cool. Wonder who woulda lasted & faded after the journey :D Coulda been one of us in the news :eek:

Wonder how many divorces / break ups happened the past week because of Wotlk :o the missus aint been happy here :( won't even try to get into it like some have :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

I hate the way they blame it on the game, they don't blame it on the fact that the kid wasn't smart enough to get his required food intake and sleep. Because lets face it, the reason this happened to him is a result of no nourishment and sleep.

Once again another bad mark against the gaming community because of an idiot.

Someone mail this kid and tell him its possible to eat and play at the same time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Shít parents tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

HA HA!
    Bleedin' Bufty!

DRakE wrote: »
    i did level 67-70 in one session on my first char less than a week after it was released.. in about 30 hours straight

what a lightweight indeed

haha ditto.
    I did a couple of extremely long sessions getting from 60-70. I was just in da ZONE.

I vaguely remember actually just passing out at the end when I got to 70 in the middle of a heroic. Woke up about 10 hours later like "Gotta cut down on the auld wow"

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Dcully wrote: »
    I fail to see why you lads brag about long sittings of wow.
    There is such a thing called moderation,those that raced to 80 dont understand this or else they have no life :)
    Then again if i had more time id play more :P

You know your right there, coz i seen this when all the raiders in my guild raced to 80 and left the rest of us behind. i dont care anymore about wow ill pay it for fun and not for anyone elses request. Raiding is just insane atm. People rushing to 80 for what really?...i dont get it..in TBC i was one of those folks who rushed to 70 but i really care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Clearly the father isnt taking an interest in this sons life or the activities he enjoys. If he was any kind of father he would learn to play wow. So on occassions like this he can say "son, go get two hours rest. I know this is important to you so ill continue."

I remember our guild were on vael in bwl. One of the lads had gotten his father to play his paladin whilst he was of doing something essential to living. No one knew except one player. All he had to do was spam 4 on his group. Well he got the bomb, didnt move and wiped the entire raid.Or maybe it was he didnt die like the rest of the raid, just bubbled and hearthed. Queue roars, screams, curses, agression, suggestion of gkick over vent. Then some guy blurts out er... thats not X..... er.... thats his dad. Everyone just started laughing. "Sorry Sir, Sorry Mr X's dad".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

To be honest i dont think anybody was at fault, id concur if it was a few days straight he was doing it. But the occurance happening within 24 hours, nobody could have predicted that would happen.

Sure many times ive stayed awake for over 24 hour stretches with mates playing games, but i always as a child stocked up on sweets/food etc. So i never fell victim to any fits. And i would have done it all with my parents consent, sure they would tell us to sleep before they went to bed, but kids will be kids and do what they want..

Its just an abnormal occurance, humanity should just learn and get over it.

If your hungry.. EAT ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Manties wrote: »
    Homeboy should have got some redbull. I did thursday morning from 2am untill sunday mid morning. Dont see me keeling over

82hrs?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Homeboy should have got some redbull. I did thursday morning from 2am untill sunday mid morning. Dont see me keeling over, ta fuck. ;)

fuk1n hardass sh1t right there. dont mess, ull get the horns

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The fonz is a mod?? :rolleyes:

Its the aids, it helps to keep me awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Pewpewfiah

haha yeah, lightweights shouldnt go for the long hauls :P doing 24hrs isnt THAT HARD i don't think but you need to watch that your eating and drinking and the like, you need to stay alive after all xD Epilepsy was the cause though so its not really his fault epilieptic attacks can happen after things like this and sometimes randomly, not entirely a lightweight in my opinion but still lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Good.

One less moron to walk up to you and ask "Swe??"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Anti wrote: »
    Its the aids, it helps to keep me awake.
    Gotta admit, not quite sure how I missed that post. Bit of a thread-killer right there and somewhat confusing to say the least. Unless it's some massive in-joke that I'm missing.

Still, it's there now. Almost as a testament to Anti :p

Oh, and important point about the article were the words "epileptic" and "fit". So unless someone wants to suggest they continued playing while suffering from an epileptic fit, then I would respectfully ask that everyone kindly put their e-peen back in their virtual pants and go about their business... nothing to see here ;)

Ivan wrote: »
    Gotta admit, not quite sure how I missed that post. Bit of a thread-killer right there and somewhat confusing to say the least. Unless it's some massive in-joke that I'm missing.

Still, it's there now. Almost as a testament to Anti :p

I dont even remember posting that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

That must be the aids too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Funny Thread, i needed this on a friday when i wished i was not in work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement