Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 94 GSP vs BJ Penn

Options
  • 19-11-2008 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

So if Randy vs Brock was the biggest fight in UFC history, then this will have to be a contender for the best.
    The first fight was an amazing spectacle, and so much has changed since then.
    BJ is a different fighter.

I'd have to say that at the moment (along with AS), they have to be the two most naturally gifted fighters in the world.

It's all shaping up to be the first contender for fight of the year for me.

Of course this fight is gonna be even more special for me, as I've just ordered my tickets, and will be flying to Vegas to watch it all first hand.

Can't wait!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Lucky you.
    I won't be rooting for any one of these fighters,i'll just sit back and hopefully watch one of the best mma fights.Each deserves the title as much as the other,lets just see who wants it more on the night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

So if Randy vs Couture was the biggest fight in UFC history

???
    What do you mean? Do you mean Randy Couture vs Lesnar or Couture vs Liddell series of fights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

???
    What do you mean? Do you mean Randy Couture vs Lesnar or Couture vs Liddell series of fights

Opps.

My typing as sterling as ever.
    I meant Couture vs Lesnar.

On sheer promotion levels alone, it's the biggest.
    Due to the WWE aspect and the growing fanbase in general.

Once the figures are released that can be said to be true (Couture vs Lesnar being the biggest) but as of right now initial estimates were that it wasn't going to do as well as Liddell vs Ortiz 2.

Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

GSP is also a dramatically different fighter than the first time they met.

I am excited for this fight as both guys have really evolved beyond who they were in skillset and athleticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I think GSP is going to dominate Penn, and probably ground and pound him out. I just think his strength and conditioning will wear him down, though BJ can always pull out a sub from nowhere.
    Gotta say, and i wait to be flamed, but I have never taken to BJ at all. I appreciate his talents and his fantastic skill, but I always root against him. Stange, as most bjj fighters get my vote, I just don't like him!

Dragan wrote: »
    GSP is also a dramatically different fighter than the first time they met.

I am excited for this fight as both guys have really evolved beyond who they were in skillset and athleticism.

They're both very different. BJ has improved his cardio, dedication and he also pushes to finish now whereas before he could be a bit too laid back.

GSP's skills are improved so much but I wonder now how much his defence of an agressive boxer has come on. BJ murdered him in round one using front foot boxing. And Serra is the only person since to use this on GSP. Others have tried but they get taken down when they try. I don't think GSP can just take BJ down when he comes forward. So it's an interesting clash.

I will be rooting for BJ because he's my favourite fighter but I love GSP and this is one of those where I won't be overly happy cos one of my favourite fighters lost and I won;t be overly sad because one of my favourite fighters won!

I make GSP the favourite on paper (more likely to end up on top, bigger, more proven cardio) but I like BJ for this one. I think his stand up will cause Georges problems and I do see GSP struggling with BJ on the ground as long as BJ isn't too passive.

key to this fight for BJ to win is controlled aggression. He can't be passive of GSP will sit back and throw kicks or lay on top and pound his way to a UD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I think GSP is going to dominate Penn, and probably ground and pound him out. I just think his strength and conditioning will wear him down, though BJ can always pull out a sub from nowhere.
    Gotta say, and i wait to be flamed, but I have never taken to BJ at all. I appreciate his talents and his fantastic skill, but I always root against him. Stange, as most bjj fighters get my vote, I just don't like him!

I feel the same, Maybe it was the way he tried to get the spotlight on himself after GSP's win over Fitch, or his attitude towards Sherk during their fight, but I just can't take to the guy. Gonna be rooting for GSP all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Anyone think the size difference will be a major factor? I think GSP will try to dominate using wrestling like he did to Serra.

Hope BJ pulls it off.

Kazooie wrote: »
    Anyone think the size difference will be a major factor? I think GSP will try to dominate using wrestling like he did to Serra.

Hope BJ pulls it off.

I dunno. BJ has fought at Heavyweight before so he's used to larger opponents, he thrives in it normally, but GSP is a whole different animal. He really is an elite level athlete in his prime with the skillset to match.

• Advertisement

I dunno. BJ has fought at Heavyweight before so he's used to larger opponents, he thrives in it normally, but GSP is a whole different animal. He really is an elite level athlete in his prime with the skillset to match.

I don't know about thriving on it. I think competitively he loves it alright, but i think he needs to go no further than 170 myself.

I think the most interesting part of this is not how much they have come on, but what area's might still be lacking?

Fir BJ it can be a case of sitting back and waiting for the win rather than going out there and getting after it. For GSP he can stall on occassion for the big fights.

Either way, this will be a great fighter between two of the best in the world right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

BJ has fought at Heavyweight

Lhw?

For me, this fight is bigger than Brock v Randy. Two amazing athletes, both in my top three p4p rankings, having a rematch. Both fighters are much improved since last time they fought, this fight could be incredible. I dont know how to call this, but I think BJ will take the first round.

dunkamania wrote: »
    Lhw?

For me, this fight is bigger than Brock v Randy. Two amazing athletes, both in my top three p4p rankings, having a rematch. Both fighters are much improved since last time they fought, this fight could be incredible. I dont know how to call this, but I think BJ will take the first round.

Was the fight with Machida not at HW? I'm open to correction. I have it on DVD will check when I get home.

BJ has never lost a first round for what that's worth!

Once the figures are released that can be said to be true (Couture vs Lesnar being the biggest) but as of right now initial estimates were that it wasn't going to do as well as Liddell vs Ortiz 2.

Time will tell.

As I said, I was referring more to media exposure worldwide, than buy rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Was the fight with Machida not at HW? I'm open to correction. I have it on DVD will check when I get home.

I am pretty sure it was at MW, I am not sure if it is Japanese MW (205lbs) or 185lbs, either way he nearly won that fight from what I was told.

jap MW is 205. ill check my DVD when I go home. It was a very close fight. i'd have given it to BJ as he was giving up so much size but Machida probably nabbed it slightly on points. BJ hit him with the best shot of the match though. A counter straight right when Lyoto threw a spinning back kick. The noise of it was savage!

Sorry Karmafaerie I misunderstood your post. I'd say the 2 PPVs where they unified the UFC and PRIDE titles would in that case have been bigger in terms of significance but I know what you mean. The amount of casual posters who turned up here for the UFC 91 discussion shows how widespread it was.

The fought at LHW, Machida weighed in at 205, Penn at 190.

Dragan wrote: »
    The fought at LHW, Machida weighed in at 205, Penn at 190.

Thanks dude. Was just thinking that I haven't a feckin clue where that DVD is and wasn't fancyin a root!

Sorry Karmafaerie I misunderstood your post. I'd say the 2 PPVs where they unified the UFC and PRIDE titles would in that case have been bigger in terms of significance but I know what you mean. The amount of casual posters who turned up here for the UFC 91 discussion shows how widespread it was.

No worries.
    I know what you mean about the casual observer.
    Can't really blame them though, when you think about how the media jumped on it.
    If the media are suddenly on the bandwagon, the public are sure to follow.

Here're links to that Penn vs Machida fight if anyone needs a refresher.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

;)

Advertisement