Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a €2 coin in my microwave dinner!

Options
  • 19-11-2008 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

I kid you not. I bought a cookshop dinner from my local independent supermarket over the weekend. Stuck it in the microwave, ripped off the plastic on top when it was finished, and there it was...a dirty, sizzling, €2 coin just sticking it out in the middle of the potatoes!

Surprisingly, this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me! I'm going back to the store tomorrow. I'm totally at a loss to even begin wondering where to start. Will they even believe me? Should I bring in the coin as proof? Is there any point making a big deal out of it with them?

The one thing I'm dying to find out though is who in their right mind handles money while making these dinners, and how the hell would that person not even notice?! I mean, it wasn't like a small copper or anything, it's a freaking huge gold and silver coin!

I don't know will I even bother asking you guys have you ever had a similar experience...:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Did you take a picture?
    Did you eat the dinner?
    Do you have a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

jackncoke wrote: »
    Did you take a picture?

Yup. It's a grainy camera phone, but you can make it out.
    Did you eat the dinner?

Christ no. Didn't want to go near it.
    Do you have a receipt?

I'm sure it's around here somewhere, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Bring them all back in,kick up a fuss about contacting health and safety etc etc,

Somebody who is preparing food shouldnt be really handling money,id mention that too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Thought you couldn't put metal in the microwave too?!?

I guess when the metal is surrounded by a huge serving of shepherds pie it won't make too much of a difference :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I would get a new microwave too mate.. That is not safe..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

my local shop makes sandwiches with gloves on and then handles money striaght after!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I don't doubt the original poster, but I'm sure the shop will. I heard of a lot of things found in food but never a €2 coin. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

probably thrown in by some kid on a school tour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Your microwave could have been destroyed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

TheDriver wrote: »
    my local shop makes sandwiches with gloves on and then handles money striaght after!

LOADS of places do that. It really annoys me.

What's the point of the gloves if you are using them to protect the food only to handle notes and coins with them on too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Let us know how this one works out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Don't go mad, that's a really nice supermarket, you'd be surprised, could have been a customer that put it in! I think they only have a bit of cling film on top.
    Please don't go in guns blazing looking for a refund and a new microwave and travel expenses and compo for the shock caused !!!! Bring it to their attention I'm sure they will look in to it for you and replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

This is so weird, I wonder if they made more of an effort to replace the food more than simply offering a refund and a free replacement, I mean if I had been presented with this as a manager I would have wanted to make sure the customer didn't sue

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Don't go mad, that's a really nice supermarket, you'd be surprised, could have been a customer that put it in! I think they only have a bit of cling film on top.
    Please don't go in guns blazing looking for a refund and a new microwave and travel expenses and compo for the shock caused !!!! Bring it to their attention I'm sure they will look in to it for you and replace it.

Yeah agreed, i've been shopping there nearly all my life and I've rarely if ever had any problems, so I just wanted reassurances that it wouldn't happen again.

I called into them, asked to see the manager and explained the situation to him. He said he'd go find the Head Chef to speak to me about it since it was his department. He returned a few minutes later to tell me that he actually had the day off today (whether he's telling the truth or he just didn't want to speak to me remains to be seen).

But the manager took my name and number and was adamant that they would get to the bottom of why it happened. He said he'll ring me by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

They're just saving you the time and effort involved in going to the shop and asking for your money back.

Excellent service tbh, you should be grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

dinner and extra money.......result!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I have heard of cash-back offers but that's Ridiculous :D:D
    :P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I'd actually contact the manufacturer of the product and not the store you bought it from.

the store will probably just offer you a replacement and a refund the manufacturer will more likely take you complaint more seriously and give you some sort of compo.

I had an incident years ago with Dunne's there was a stem form the plant the raisins come from in a a scone, contacted them (Dunne's own brand scones) they got on to the baker and i git a bucket load of free bread and cakes AND €50 Dunne's vouchers for my trouble.

same when i bought scones in tesco's (seeing a pattern are we?) anyway still within date but they went moldy. went direct to JMOB got about 5 slice pans, 5 soda breads couple of packets of fairy cakes and stuff.

dade wrote: »
    I'd actually contact the manufacturer of the product and not the store you bought it from.

the store will probably just offer you a replacement and a refund the manufacturer will more likely take you complaint more seriously and give you some sort of compo.

The store ARE the manufacturers ;)

I'll let you know how it turns out though

• Advertisement

Got the call from the shop a few days ago.

Basically the head chef was off last Saturday (the day that they were made) and the guys working were having some collection around the kitchen on the same day, and one of the €2's happened to drop into the food while it was being made. The chef had warned the workers before not to handle money in the kitchen, but they felt that they could get away with it since he wasn't working.

Now, in fairness to the chef, he was extremely embarassed and livid with his staff over the whole thing. He offered us as many of the cookshop dinners as we wanted but we explained to him that we werent looking for compensation or anything, just reassurance that it was a once off event. But we did stress to that they were lucky that I was to find it, if the meal was bought by an elderly person who wouldn't have noticed it, it could have been a very serious matter.

Like I said, I've been shopping there nearly all my life and this is the first time I've ever really had a major problem with them. But they insisted they repay our faith in them (I bought 3 more of the dinners the next day :P) so they're mailing out a voucher to me sometime next week.

Alls well that ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Don't go mad, that's a really nice supermarket..

did I miss something, how do you know what supermarket the OP is on about?? Was a name given?

Out of interest would this 'independent supermarket' be located on the Dunmore road?? Would be funny if it did cos I used to work in one around there years ago and well, I'm having a little giggle here now..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donasus

deise59 wrote: »
    I kid you not. I bought a cookshop dinner from my local independent supermarket over the weekend. Stuck it in the microwave, ripped off the plastic on top when it was finished, and there it was...a dirty, sizzling, €2 coin just sticking it out in the middle of the potatoes!

Surprisingly, this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me! I'm going back to the store tomorrow. I'm totally at a loss to even begin wondering where to start. Will they even believe me? Should I bring in the coin as proof? Is there any point making a big deal out of it with them?

The one thing I'm dying to find out though is who in their right mind handles money while making these dinners, and how the hell would that person not even notice?! I mean, it wasn't like a small copper or anything, it's a freaking huge gold and silver coin!

I don't know will I even bother asking you guys have you ever had a similar experience...:D

feck!
    I once bought an apple tart and found the foil plate baked into the middle of it.

i brought it back, got a few vouchers as compo for it

wasnt worth the hassle of persuing it any farther,

noone was injured, but it could have caused serious injury if eaten.

quality control must have been having the day off

can i just throw as well that i purchased a picnic bar that had no chocolate on it, i sent it back for the craic and was compensated with several huge bars of chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

did I miss something, how do you know what supermarket the OP is on about?? Was a name given?

Out of interest would this 'independent supermarket' be located on the Dunmore road?? Would be funny if it did cos I used to work in one around there years ago and well, I'm having a little giggle here now..;)

Yes I knew straight away cause if it was any other supermarket it would be a £2 coin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

deise59 wrote: »
    The store ARE the manufacturers ;)

I'll let you know how it turns out though

ah right so cos with the dunnes or tesco own brand it's normally a third party and repackaged.

Fair play to them for the way they admitted the fault straight away without any fuss and wanted to look after you.

Advertisement