Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

97 Civic 5 dr - clicking noise when turning...

Options
  • 19-11-2008 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭

My trusty civic is making a fairly pained clicking noise whenever I turn her more than a few degrees either side. From some googling, it seems like this is a sign of a CV joint going though I saw a mention of it possibly meaning the entire axle needs replacing...

Sounds expensive... is it? Anyone have any experience of this or able to recommend a good (and cheap) mechanic to sort it out for me?

Looking on carzone, the car's not worth more than 1500 at the mileage I have on her (just under 130k). I'm pretty sure the engine's still sound for another 40/50.

So, if it is an expensive job, am I best to just cut my losses? Can't imagine I'll find a dealer prepared to take a her as a trade in as she is and really don't have the moola for much of an upgrade at this time. :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

in most cases its the CV joint, its unlikely to be the gearbox or anything serious really, if it was, it would make noise all the time really, same with a dodgey bearing or bad bushings. the CV joints can cost around 50-80 quid each and a mechanic would probably charge you about 200 quid to do the job, its a pretty easy one though and you could probably do it yourself in an hour with basic tools.

have a look under the car where the drive shaft goes into the wheel, you'll see what looks like a rubber spring looking thing around the ends of the shaft, if thats damaged, cracked etc thats a good sign its the CV joints.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Yep CV joints. Had it with my Civic years ago, clicked like mad on full lock.

Re the cost, I'd get an indy to do this. A CV joint from a dealer is about €130, get the indy to fit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

^^

What they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

hmm... would I need anything more than the jack in the boot to do the work or would I need to get her up on a proper lift?

Haynes Manual time methinks!

Just realised it's due to have the timing belt replaced as well...

Any ideas what the timing belt, replacing two CV joints, fitting a new battery (had it die on me recently) and a standard service (plugs, oil, filters) is gonna set me back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just realised it's due to have the timing belt replaced as well...

Any ideas what the timing belt, replacing two CV joints, fitting a new battery (had it die on me recently) and a standard service (plugs, oil, filters) is gonna set me back?

If you can't do any of it yourself, i'd give a rough guess at Belt +water pump €300, service maybe €100-€150, and the CV joints a guess at €3-400. It all depends on who you get to do it and what they charge. If it's problem free other than that, i'd get them done. You could go off and buy something else cheap and it might end up costing you more.

Thanks Limerick-man.

I ordered the Haynes manual this afternoon and picked up a decent looking jack, a spark plug wrench and a wrench set in Lidl on the way home to add to my meager toolset. In a recession it's about time I learned how to do the basic service at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sleepy wrote: »
    Thanks Limerick-man.

I ordered the Haynes manual this afternoon and picked up a decent looking jack, a spark plug wrench and a wrench set in Lidl on the way home to add to my meager toolset. In a recession it's about time I learned how to do the basic service at least...

Just a warning, Haynes manuals are brilliant, until something goes wrong. You can't ask it what to do you do now. Minor service shouldn't be difficult. Just make sure to put an axle stand underneath the car, and when your putting the plugs back in and you meet any resistance(ie. cross threading) stop immediatly and start again. Also on the oil filter, take a small bit of clean oil and rub it on the rubber rim and then hand tighten the filter only. Make sure the next day or a few hours later to check for any leaks etc. Best of luck and enjoy:D

Advertisement