Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good warcraft laptop?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Should run it sweet enough, especially seeing as you're kind of limited by the resolution...
    I can't comment on the shadow effects that were introduced in the expansion though, I only had experience with those in the beta and they totally screwed with performance, so you might need to turn those down/off...

Wow isn't exactly the most demanding game out there, I'd say you could even run it with a laptop with integrated intel graphics at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Having as much memory as possible will help you just as much as a good graphics card. Wow isn't a very graphical game and there is only so much that blizzard can do graphically with their game engine. When they try and improve graphics, blizzard generally just try to make scenery more dense rather than writing huge graphical algorithims for their engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Coming from self-made or hi-spec bought PC's for gaming I recently purchased one from Aldi... YES ... ALDI... its amazing for gameplay...

Core 2 Duo 2.2, 4Gb Ram, 320GB HD, 256Mb GeForce...

Cant go wrong.. and then throw in all the laptop extras - dvd re-writer, webcam, bag, wireless, bluetooth, fingerprint security, mouse, vista premium, blah blah blah... all included and only cost €799...

Snapped one up soon as I saw it.. play WOW without even the slightest problem... :D Im happy

Edit ->

The specs are almost identical to the one you linked.. it is MORE than enough for WOW... and at a very decent price too...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

i had an acer 8920 (18.5" screen) with a 9600GS (basically a die shrunk version of the 8600GT) not that long ago that i used to play wow maxed out on @ 1980x1080. they can be gotten for around €1000 or you can go for the smaller 16" model 6920 for about €800 which has the same hardware just slighly slower cpu and smaller HDD

if your happy to tone down the setting to medium/low for some and use nothing fancy a 9300m (16 stream processors / 64bit memory interface) might do fine, however even for a laptop it is a slowish card, its right at the budget line, try to at least get a 9500m (32 stream processors / 128bit memory interface)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Are you taking the piss? or just showing off...

Take a look at the min specs for wow, then make your mind up..

Christ, I play wow on a laptop with about 1/4 of them specs and ONBOARD graphics card. The game would run on very low ranged PC's no problem...

You do not need a super computer to run it. Saying this, you will need something midrange to run it on high settings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Are you taking the piss? or just showing off...

Take a look at the min specs for wow, then make your mind up..

Christ, I play wow on a laptop with about 1/4 of them specs and ONBOARD graphics card. The game would run on very low ranged PC's no problem...

You do not need a super computer to run it. Saying this, you will need something midrange to run it on high settings.

I have tested laptops with onboard video and there performance is laughable at even below reasonable settings. Its well known wow will practically run on anything but it will look like **** so i would assume the op is looking for advice on something better than average, something that it will not only run well on but look good while doing it. considering wows latest visual effects tweaks to have a happy experience both visually and playable youll be looking @ or above a 9500M

I have recently sold that laptop as i no longer require one but if i needed another gaming oriented laptop id get the 16" version as the 18.5" is a monster and more of a desktop replacement than laptop. although 1920x1080 is a pretty nice res for wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I still think that laptop is over powered, severily over powered for WoW. Do you have a price on it? If you are looking at using your laptop mainly for work and it's secondary use is gaming, and if it is only world of warcraft then I suggest looking for something a little less "imba" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Advertisement