Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paulo Filho receives his P45?

• 19-11-2008 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Paulo Filho arguably the best submission wrestler amongst the heavier weights in MMA was released by Zuffa from his contract. After some lack lustre performances in the cage and some dodgy behaviour outside (missing weight, mental problems, drug issues?) the man once considered the best Middleweight in the world (above Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin) is out of a job.

As of now unconfirmed but reported here:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Last week's Wrestling Observer said that it's almost certain that he'll be cut. Not a surprise in the least after his last fight

EDIT: Some sites seem to be using the Observer as a source for the story: http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/11/18/zuffa-and-paulo-filho-appear-to-have-parted-ways/ The issue is nearly a week old though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I don't read the wrestling observer so thanks for posting Nothingcompares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

This has been confirmed by Ed Soares, Paulo's manager

Not suprising if he's gone. His coaches should never have let him near a cage for his last outing.

Missing weight by that much is ridiculous and then not fighting at all for the 15 minutes he was in there.......not a good time for Filho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

If I could be a grappler, it would be Filho. Goddamn shame but I hope he bounces back.

• Advertisement

Roper wrote: »
    If I could be a grappler, it would be Filho.

Not Marcello? Or Maia? Or Fedor!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

If I could be a grappler, it would be Filho. Goddamn shame but I hope he bounces back.

you can be a grappler barry

Not Marcello? Or Maia? Or Fedor!?!
    Marcello is too small to be me, Fedor too big. I like Maia. Maybe he can be my hero.
    you can be a grappler barry
    ZING!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It really is a shame to see this happen, the guy is an undeniable talent but he needs to sort out whatever is going on in his life right now.

He looked like he was chasing ghosts against Sonnen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I really want to see a Paulo Filho at his best take on the best in the world at middleweight, the Franklins, the Lildlands, Demian Maia, Stumpy Paul Harris. If he beat them, they'd have to put him in the cage with Anderson Silva his former teammwate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I really want to see a Paulo Filho at his best take on the best in the world at middleweight, the Franklins, the Lildlands, Demian Maia, Stumpy Paul Harris. If he beat them, they'd have to put him in the cage with Anderson Silva his former teammwate.

The word had been that if he was going to enter the UFC that he'd fight at lightheavyweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He does not have the reach to fight at LHW or even MW IMO. He is only 5ft 8, I always thought of him as fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I wouldn't call him fat (at least not to his face) but he's incredibly muscular. I've heard him described by NOg as the strongest guy he's ever rolled with.

Maybe 185 is just too far away for Filho or maybe he's not doing the cuts right?

Marcello is too small to be me, Fedor too big. I like Maia. Maybe he can be my hero.
    ZING!:D

I'd go with Maia. Paulo Filho is a little short for you isn't he?!

Didn't know he was only 5'8" until this thread! He looks bigger on TV, mind you he was dwarfed there the other night but i thought that was because he was fighting a giant.

I like Maia. Said that twice now.

Didn't know he was only 5'8" until this thread! He looks bigger on TV, mind you he was dwarfed there the other night but i thought that was because he was fighting a giant.

I like Maia. Said that twice now.

Yea he's tiny! Short and compact and blocky!

I know you do, I was saying out of the options there I'd go with Maia. It's done so.....

Can we call you Barry "Maia" Roper?

Advertisement