Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quintessential Aussie and Kiwi Tunes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Split Enz- 6 months on a leaky boat. It got banned from British radio in 1983 because of the Falklands war....

And again with I See Red

Fat Freddies drop- wandering eye

Don't forget about Scribe :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

WindSock wrote: »
    Don't forget about Scribe :p
    Scribe are probably the most convincing hip hop artists I have come across outside of the States. This is coming from worked in a hip hop club in California, met (and got trashed) with artists such as Mobb Deep, Ghost Face Killah, Method Man and LL Cool J amongst others but that's a story for another day :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

dSTAR wrote: »
    Duh because they are American :D:D

You're being sarcastic right?
    AC-DC are from Sydney...

kittex wrote: »
    You're being sarcastic right?
    AC-DC are from Sydney...
    Of course. But seriously I loved AC-DC all through my school years and just presumed they were American. It wasn't until years later that someone took me aside and told me they were Australian. I was floored. At that stage Australia was at least two years behind some of the music coming out of Britain and the States. Nowadays that is all different of course. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

"Scribe are probably the most convincing hip hop artists I have come across outside of the States"

Scribe is only one guy.
    As for songs that sum up NZ and Aus, can't believe no one's mentioned Boys Light Up or Reckless by Aussie Crawl. Or any of Dave Dobbyn's music like Slice of Heaven, Be Mine Tonight or Bliss, all Kiwi classics.

• Advertisement

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Scribe is only one guy...
    First AC-DC, then Crowded House (apparently Kiwis but owned by us) and now Scribe.

I need to get out more :-s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Technically ACDC are only 80% aussie..

Yeah maybe the Scots should do what the British do to some Irish artists and Aussies do for anyone famous who has been in Oz more than 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

80% Aussie? I think that's a bit high. If you accept the Youngs as Ockers it still only makes 60%, since Cliff Williams and Brian Johnson are both english. In fact the only Aussie-born member is Phil Rudd and during the time he left the band (about 83 to 91) there wasn't a true-blue born and bred Aussie in the band at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

quintessential brisbane

and of course this should be the national anthem

appologies for the **** camerawork

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭88show

depends when you were there. otherwise you can have anybody from the
    nw dancing toys, herbs, datsuns, or annie crummer to rhombus, brotha
    che fu, bic runga or sihaed or what ever they're called now and selmonella dub.
    aussie i would go oils, acadac, grinspoon, j butler trio, kylie just all depends
    can go on and on and on....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I was given Men At Work's greatest hits when I was about 8 by my uncle. Listened to it religiously. My favourite song of their's is definitely 'Overkill' which was used in an episode of 'Scrubs' that featured Colin Hay.

The original -

The 'Scrubs' version -

All my mates were like "What's that amazing song from scrubs?!" and I was the only one who knew it!

Overkill is on Colin Hays Man@Work album, he doesnt sing with the band anymore.

I spoke to the guy when he was playing a small gig in Limerick with Carlos Calvo (I was one out of about 20 people in the room) he was saying its strange going from a stadium with 80,000 people in the height of his career, to having 20 people in a small room in Dolans many years on.
    Its still the best gig I have ever been to. He a legend.

If you like his solo of Overkill Xavi, then Im sure "Beautiful World" and "Waiting for my real life to begin" will interest you as well. Its on the same album.

Double post.

One for Mahatma.

Also one of my personal favourites.

Tuckers Daughter by Ex-Chiseler Ian Moss.

Hey Jumpy as they say in kiwiland ... choice!

AHAHAHAAAAAA!!

SOMEONE YOUTUBED IT.

Prepare for the best thing you have ever seen.
    The two biggest voices in the world.

Want more choons!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't believe this has been overlooked -

Epic!

Woohoo, the Voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Not actually Australian, but if I hear Kings of Leon Sex on Fire over here one more time I will go mental. Every fcuker on the train even has it as a ringtone ffs!

• Advertisement

shane86 wrote: »
    Not actually Australian, but if I hear Kings of Leon Sex on Fire over here one more time I will go mental. Every fcuker on the train even has it as a ringtone ffs!
    I am so glad that I am not the only one that thinks this. This song seriously gives me the sh!ts in a big way.

I have even started calling them The Kings of Lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'll pretend you didn't say that.

I am so glad that I am not the only one that thinks this. This song seriously gives me the sh!ts in a big way.

ffs, I arrive in yesterday evening and my New Zealand hostel roomate is listebning to her iPod singing the fcuker :( I am so sick of it.

I have never actually heard their music as I have only ever seen their vids on the screens in McDonalds or a few clubs with the sound down, but jesus h christ The Veronicas are simply beyond hot. :eek: Italian Ozzies are even more smokin than regular Italians for some odd reason.

As for my tune of the trip, it could only be this

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TaxVViPUQtI

:) Hostel rooftop, scorching sun, cold beers, stench of doob and someone blasting the above tune from the speakers, legendary :)

Is the room mate hot though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes veronicas are Hawt!
    One of them is a lipstick lesbian (i.e. Lesbian = name in paper)
    and some photos were 'leaked' on the internet

veronicas_mtv.jpg

I'll pretend you didn't say that.
    I can't help but feeling that they will have one or two, maybe even three well known songs and then fade into obscurity.
    shane86 wrote:
    Hostel rooftop, scorching sun, cold beers, stench of doob and someone blasting the above tune from the speakers, legendary
    My kinda night apart from that one lame song :)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is the room mate hot though?

Pretty cute. Very quiet though, only 19 so I think she has the travelling nerves. She has moved onto a mates gaff this morning anyway, ah well :p

hussey wrote: »
    One of them is a lipstick lesbian (i.e. Lesbian = name in paper)

It just gets better doesnt it :)
    and some photos were 'leaked' on the internet

Im in a net cafe. Only three things I miss from home- the availability of Budweiser* in pubs/nightclubs, my own bed, and having an Allied Irish without having to listen out for every creaky floorboard in the hostel hallway :(

*: Sweet mother of God, Tooheys New makes Dutch Gold seem like a contender for awards at Oktoberfest. I can count on one hand the amt of undrinkable brands of beer I have had (Prazyky, Fink Brau and one more French beer whos name escapes me) but holy god Tooheys New just takes the piss. Aussies dont seem to realise it is so cheap due to the (presumably) near zero costs of producing that rubbish. My mate has turned into a long haired flip flop wearing surfing Tooheys schooner drinking Aussie. Schooners are the girliest method of beer drinking Ive ever seen, proper pint of Heineken for me thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Pretty cute. Very quiet though, only 19 so I think she has the travelling nerves. She has moved onto a mates gaff this morning anyway, ah well :p
    Pics or GTFO :D
    It just gets better doesnt it :)
    if her and her sister got it on .... One can dream
    Im in a net cafe. Only three things I miss from home- the availability of Budweiser* in pubs/nightclubs, my own bed, and having an Allied Irish without having to listen out for every creaky floorboard in the hostel hallway :(
    You owe me 1 keyboard and 1 cup of tea for that!

But seriously ... Budweiser???

Lol at the criticism of Toohey's new from a Bud drinker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Schooners are the girliest method of beer drinking Ive ever seen, proper pint of Heineken for me thanks :D

Ice cold stubbies, ftw.

Veronicas = Meh imo.

Advertisement